Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid comments by Americans!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

biko wrote:
    WWW was invented by some CERN guy, iirc Too tired now to google it

al gore invented the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sico wrote:
    People like you give me a pain in my face
    Likewise:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

"Hey buddy, I wannanuther Guinness but this time can you make sure you put
    fresh cream on top? This one tastes like Sh!t"

Irish=it,s raining.
    Americans=Hey look thats irish snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Maybe we should start a silly comments by irish people thread! Sick of irish Anti America sentiments

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

dbnavan wrote:
    Maybe we should start a silly comments by irish people thread! Sick of irish Anti America sentiments

Settle down now, its only a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Ruu wrote:
    Settle down now, its only a bit of fun.

If a similiar thread exsisted about nigerians or chinese it would be closed for being racist, but for some reason the world considers it ok to make fun of americans `whenever and however they like, can someone tell me what the difference is. My wife is american and the comments she encouters very regularly by irish people are very annoying. Cead Mile Failte me arse!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

dbnavan wrote:
    Cead Failte me arse!!!
    Only a hundred?

Well, good day to you. Hurumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

dbnavan wrote:
    If a similiar thread exsisted about nigerians or chinese it would be closed for being racist, but for some reason the world considers it ok to make fun of americans `whenever and however they like, can someone tell me what the difference is. My wife is american and the comments she encouters very regularly by irish people are very annoying. Cead Failte me arse!!!

Okay well I know of this Nigerian woman and she says lots of stupid things. Although they're not stupid funny, they're just stupid because she's a dumbarse.

However my dad was once teaching two workmates (one Chinese, one from HongKong) to drive. The one from China was a natural however the one from HK had real problems getting the hang of it. So the HK guy was driving down the road when they approached a fork with a huge pole & signs (ie left this way, right this way) in the middle of it. They had no set destination and Dad didn't tell him which way to turn so the guy ran straight into the pole citing "I didn't know which way to turn!" as his reason.

Everyones laughing now right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

daiixi wrote:
    so the guy ran straight into the pole citing "I didn't know which way to turn!" as his reason.

Everyones laughing now right?
    Only when I imagine the dumb-ass hong kong guy was, in fact, a dumbass american.

Now if the guy from Hong Kong drove into the pole as a result of the GPS system failing on his robotic chauffeur, or maybe not being able to see past the exorberant amount of rice he was carrying on his lap... then that might be funny.

Similarly, throw an irish person into a situation involving spuds or booze.. or an english man getting all snooty and proper... guaranteed laughs.

see where I'm going with this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Some people take life far too seriously.

The thing about Irish people is that we can and do take the piss out of ourselves as much as we take the piss out of other nationalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭sioda

Getting back to topic. Have worked in a few tourist traps in limerick in clare and have been asked the following.
    In Bunratty from an american: Sirrr why did yee build the castle so close to the freeway or why didn't yee build the castle closer to the airport.

Or the classic the doors are open the lights are on your standing behind the till and you get asked excuse me sir are yee open. One of these days I'm gonna say no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 I like cars

Plug wrote:
    I was walking down the street with a few friends when a big campervan pulled in, the window rolled down and this american chap popped his head out and said "yeah guys...could you give me directions to the local campsite we need somewere to crash tonight" were like yeah okey, to make a long storey short we sent them out to the halting site:D LOL
    Wish I saw their faces, must of been priceless:eek:

So you sent them to the Travellers?

How cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Poker & Pints

cotwold wrote:
    OMG WTF what is wrong the world that the vast majority of our "most powerful" nation are so uneducated.

...there are a whole lot of uneducated people in Ire as well as other places. I am from Spain and you should see some of the things I have heard from Irish tourists...trying to pronounce, geography, comments.

Why not try and stick to funny stories instead of trying to degrade people. It is not a question of stupidity....it is simply knowledge. I am sure the Americans as Well as us in Spain laugh at you for paying 5euro for a pint of beer or 10euro for a burger.

I have been here for many years and there is just the same amount of stories from here as well.

But the leprachaun thing is funny no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

trying to pronounce, geography, comments.
    Spanish people are stupid.
    They think not knowing their national geography is like not knowing if they have a moon and electricity :rolleyes:

Are all spanish people this stupid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Diarmsquid wrote:
    LOL

Wasn't the net invented in Switzerland? (Someone said it was the US, a few posts ago, while saying America was great)
    Biko wrote:
    WWW was invented by some CERN guy, iirc
    Internet != WWW. WWW is part of the internet and was developed by Tim Berners Lee. The Internet was invented by the US military but the first international email was sent from Belgium (I think) and it was a hoax seeming to be from teh Russian premiere to the President.

Great thread btw - love the anecdotes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27 chigli

I spent time in the states as well and had loads of these experiences.

People who heard my accent would ask if I was British, Scottish, Welsh, French(?). On hearing I was Irish, they would apologise for confusing my accent with a british accent. I would just tell them not to worry as I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between an american and a canadian accent. They were shocked at this - "Of course you would, they are so different"(!)

One day though, I was telling co-workers that I could speak Irish and they were quite impressed when I rattled out a bit. However one girl couldn't seem to understand that english was my mother language and kept telling me how good my english was. Her co-workers collectively rolled their eyes to heaven and apologised for her stupidity later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭The Agogo

BigEejit wrote:
    Or if you are in Blarney you may be asked where yoggle is (Youghal) ..

also that guy who lowers people to kiss the Blarney stone earns his money, you should see the size of some of the feckers he has to hold on to :p

whats also funny is, the locals who work there, get pissed and then literally go to the stone and piss all over it , then piss themselves with laughter the next day...piss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

this thread is ridiculous

u are all morons

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

sAid wrote:
    u are all morons

I find this type of irony delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭hedgeh0g

lkman wrote:
    This tread reminds me of the Harry Potter books!! Muggles and wizards..

Anyway, I got some american couple asking me where o'donnell street was once.. they ment O'Connell. When i corrected them they got a better laugh out of it than I did.

Its really McDonalds St anyway?

Sofaspud wrote:
    I find this type of irony delicious.

The list grows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭SteamTrean

I was running short on Dough and knew that I would need money for Milwaukee best for the rest of the week. I decided to ask the boss for a sub to keep me going. hilarity ensued. CAPS: = AMERICAN ACCENT.

Me: Hi Chris, can I have a word?
    CHRIS: YEAH MAN NO PROBLEM, WHAT IS IT?
    Me: I'm a little strapped for cash this week, I couldn't get a sub off you until next week could I?
    (Chris looks bewildered, he walks past me into the back room and looks at the schedule (staff hours), I can see him and it's obvious that he hasn't found what he's looking for.. he approaches me again...)
    Me: I don't need any time off, I just need a sub until friday, Would that be OK?
    CHRIS: (he looks straight into my eyes, completely confused) YOU WANT A SANDWHICH MAN?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

...there are a whole lot of uneducated people in Ire as well as other places. I am from Spain and you should see some of the things I have heard from Irish tourists...trying to pronounce, geography, comments.

in fairness irish people who speak english misprounoncing words in spanish isn't quite the same as american people who speak english making a mockery of the english language
    sAid wrote:
    this thread is ridiculous

u are all morons

you're a spa
    sAid wrote:
    The list grows.

yes the list is currently at 1,
    List:

1. sAid

The british are the worst for prounoncing there own language:
    Examples:
    Pizzer (pizza)
    runn-ing (prounonce the g)
    tracky (no...tracksuit)
    nowt (nothing)
    chippy (chipper)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I remember watching a British kids show a few years ago with a niece. Game for the kids - two definitions for two words that sound the same:
    A) Something you put your socks in
    B) What you do with crayons.

Ans: Drawer!!!!!1111oneeleven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Plug wrote:
    Examples:
    Pizzer (pizza)
    tracky (no...tracksuit)
    nowt (nothing)
    chippy (chipper)

Thats mostly parts of England I think. Dont forget the whole "ENGLA-LUND, ENGLA-LUND" thing :)

count to 10 english style.
    one thow thhhree fo fivvv sex siven eighttt niiin then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Plug wrote:
    Examples:
    Pizzer (pizza)
    tracky (no...tracksuit)
    nowt (nothing)
    chippy (chipper)

to be fair, chipper is not much better than chippy. its called a chip shop. the worst thing imo is the whole one two free thing

Advertisement