Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid comments by Americans!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

My friend was over recently. Some bird complimented him on his abillity to speak good conversational English.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭kaalgat

dbnavan wrote:
    Really gets on my tits the sterotypical dumb american view we irish have, yes sure its the country that gave us Jerry Springer, George Bush,

But it also the country that put the first man on the moon, give us most computer applications, gave us the net, took half of ireland when we starving, provide the world with countless medical and technological advances.

I garrentee put a chat show on american TV, made up of knackers, junkies, and people who lead a 'simple life' in the arse end of cork, and they'd all be laughing at us!

I lived in america, my wife american most of the crap we see on irish that protray's America in a bad light or to be dumb, she gets very angry over.

Some of the most intellegent people I know come from America, I have met a few daft ones too, to be honest but sure you'll have that every where.

Considering most of our media comes from the states, and controversy sells is it any wonder?

People laying on hospital trolloys, currupt politicans, bus stops with no shelters, years behind in telecommunications, being ripped off left right and centre, wages no where near matching our cost of living. This is only a taste off what the americans laugh at us over!

It's HUMOUR for God's sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

kaalgat wrote:
    It's HUMOUR for God's sake!
    Jaysus you dug deep in the archives for that, that comment is almost a year old! I still fail to see the humor in it, sorry maybe just me, having to put up with ****e from Irish, about the americans constintly cause my wife is one, and my son is dual citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

We have an american kid in our class who camke in september, to be honest, another student in our class who we used to have the craic with was ill, and only came back in January, so we needed someone to have the craic with...so who better than a yank... so expecting to get a good laugh out of this guy, we asked him how his willy was...

the response was: "I don't know anyone called willy"

and whenever we ask a question to him, he always come's back a stupid reply like "do you like apple tarts? So do I. Maybe we could tell each other about apple tarts...? ...but there's no way am i telling you the answer to that question"....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Squarepanties

Do you have Slugs/Snails in Ireland!!????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do you have Slugs/Snails in Ireland!!????

We do indeed. Here is a pic of one of the larger varieties of slugs currently infesting the Kildare Street area. It is expected that this species will be extinct by the end of May.

Bucket of salt anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I was in Californian for 3 months for the summer - and I was surprised by how reasonable and intelligent the locals where. They wern't anything to be proud of but Ive no stories of utter stupidity.

There were a couple of uber patriots who understood nothing of history.

There was a woman who thought I was britain, I told her no but that I knew she was from New York because of her accent. She emphatically denied that she had any accent and no matter how clearly and pariently I explaine to her that everyone must have an accent, how else did I guess where she was from and the reason she cant identify it is because she has been surrounded by it all her life - she refused to believe she had one.

The Three thing WWM mentioned was so true. Several times I was accused of shortchanging after I said something was Three dollars but the customer thought Id said two.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hill Billy wrote:
    We do indeed. Here is a pic of one of the larger varieties of slugs currently infesting the Kildare Street area. It is expected that this species will be extinct by the end of May.Bucket of salt anyone?

Fixed;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

On an internal flight in the States (Between St. Paul and Seattle) a few years ago.

YANK: Your accent is different, where are you from?
    ME: Ireland.
    YANK: Oh, that's near Seattle, right?
    ME: No. It's in *Europe*.
    YANK: Europe, Arkansas?
    ME: Yes, yes it is.

Then in Seattle:
    Shopkeeper: Are you guys from out of State?

When I was about 8 on a campsite in France(I know this ain't Yanks, but what the hell):
    English 8yo girl: You speak really good English for an Irishman.
    Me: Thanks, I er... hard study?
    Her: Study hard. Almost there...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

biko wrote: »
    This is a real letter to the Galway Advertiser, I have the paper clipping at home. It's about a year old or so.

Dear Editor,
    I post this letter on my departure from Ireland, with a heavy heart.

On my recent visit to Ireland I briefly took in the enchanting city of Galway and quite frankly I was a little disturbed by what I saw. I am from New York and as a little girl growing up I have been made aware that these little guys' main purpose is to entertain us tourists, how and ever, as I prepared to board my flight to Ireland I was filled with excitement as I was finally going to come face to face with a real live leprechaun.

I spent four weeks touring Ireland, north to south, east to west, and I didn't even see one. It was only while walking down Eyre Square that the reason for this became clear - as one of the local pubs was clearly stating the fact that they "no longer test their shirts on leprechauns," it's obvious that you no longer think you require the benefits of the leprechaun, don't you realise your country is nothing but fields and trees without them.

I was enraged at this. I understand that the introduction of the euro may have slowed things in Ireland down a little, but for pity's sake, the tourists are still travelling to your country and to be blatantly honest, I feel we are being cheated out of appreciating the little guys.

I ask you has it really come to this in Ireland, that the leprechauns are being relegated to the menial job of testing the durability of cotton? You have tarnished your culture. You have tarnished the spirit of the leprechaun. These little guys are the reason your land is so popular; they are the tradition that brings us Americans to your country, and mark my words, if these little guys aren't reinstated, it will be the reason we never return.

Yours,
    Mary-Ann Durtz,
    New York.

There are really people here stupid enough to believe this letter wasn't meant as a light-hearted joke? And they're calling other people stupid? Just brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭whitey21

In california during the summer, in a bar chattin to this gorgeous american woman! gettin on great and then the connversation turned like this...

American Girl to me: "So do they speak any other language in ireland besides american???"
    Me::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I love this thread. Those stupid Americans will never achieve anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

"Do you have any CD players in France" (that was in 2002)

also "You have America On Line in France?"

also some seemed quite surprised that we don't have any cheerleaders, and others just buy it when I say that the reason we don't shower much in France is because it rains a lot so we just stand in the rain.

EDIT : Oh also, I once went to a chatroom named Brasil, there was a girl speaking English there, I asked out of curiosity what she was doing there, she said she came there to practice Spanish. She was quite amazed that I would instantly guess she was American. lol.

EDIT #2 : Oh oh this one is a bit off topic but it's too priceless. Some Frenchman suggested me to go to Ireland by train. Oh well, he's a construction worker..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

An american friend that I went to college with said of americans "why do all the weird ones come over here?" This was after we seen a group of people in shorts, bright plastic coats and talking loudly walk by us. Her father is Irish(born and raised) she moved back here in her teens, got an Irish passport and she would call herself American not half irish, oddly enough last I was talking to her she couldn't get an american passport. She would probably be the first to laugh at these jokes too.

To keep dbnavan happy, in Dublin while waiting for a bus(under a shelter) two girls were speaking Irish to each other, when a group of dub young lads walk by, they over hear them talking a language that isn't English and shout out 'go back to your own country'. Everyone was in the knots to much to shout back at them.

Also my uncle was on a train with someone from Iran living in Germany, she has good english but could be better. They stop, in my uncles home county, a woman gets up to leave but before she does she turns to my uncle and says 'go home to your own country'

A friend of mine also convinced an american that leprechauns were extint but there were decendents of them still around, ie people who are a little short and have red hair. The worst thing is he was normally really intelligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Orla K wrote: »
    To keep dbnavan happy, in Dublin while waiting for a bus(under a shelter) two girls were speaking Irish to each other, when a group of dub young lads walk by, they over hear them talking a language that isn't English and shout out 'go back to your own country'. Everyone was in the knots to much to shout back at them.
    Happened to me and a friend too, and my friend has a really thick Cork accent, so turned to them and screams 'YA WANNA HAVE A GO DERE BIOY? I'LL BAAAATE YAAA!' The guys nearly lost their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭somethingwitty

I am with an online Au Pair agency and I got a phonecall off an American lady asking me to come and be their next Au Pair. I spent a while chatting to her on the phone. She asked if I had experience with children, then she asked if I could provide references, then she asked if I had red hair!!! When I said no, she just said "OH...well...we were really hoping you would have. I thought most Irish people did...The kids will be quite heartbroken". Poor woman sounded so bitterly disappointed. We spent another good while on the phone and she said "I will use my scanner to send you some photos. Now, a scanner is this thing that...".
    She also thought she needed to explain to me what duct tape was!!!

I also worked in a place where all the customers were tourists. Got a lot of people asking where they could find leprachauns!! I used to send them to really far out of the way places if I was feeling really mean!
    Some of them were absolutly amazed that potatoes weren't the only things on the menu! I also saw them taking photos of a coke fridge. With the kids standing beside it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 infacta

hedgeh0g wrote: »
    Its really McDonalds St anyway?

no it's originally sackville street before they changed the name in 1924

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

infacta wrote: »
    it's originally sackville street before they changed the name in 1924

Really?
    Thats what the Vikings called it?

(Called Drogheda street previously, Sackville widened it, threw a few trees in and named it after himself)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

My sis told me this one, her company were entertaining some American bosses who were over for the week and took them out to Lunch in town.
    Whilst standing at the traffic lights, waiting for the green man. Green man came, and the lights made their usual beeping sound to alert the crowds. The American asked, whats the beeping sound for ?? Sis said its for people who are blind to let them know its safe to cross...
    American ..... "Oh my God you let blind people drive here?"

Priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

Orla K wrote: »

Hee Hee, thats brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My wife and I were at a party in Seattle about 9 years ago when someone put on a CD with Riverdance music on it. I thought they were just taking the piss but when all the yanks stood back and moved the furniture out of the way, I started to get an uneasy feeling. It was when they asked us to show them how to do Riverdance that I started making excuses to leave. They were actually quite disappointed that we "two Irish people types" (as one yank put it) didn't know how to do Irish dancing and their collective sense of disappointment was actually quite creepy.

I suppose if I'd been pissed, I'd have given it a go but they didn't have any alcohol at the "party" so stone cold sober me wasn't going to do a Michael Flatley for the yanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Ed D.

Har-har from an Irish-American. Nobel Prizes for Americans... most. Men on the moon for Americans... all of them. Most break-throughs in science, medicine, technology... Sour grapes... ? You win one!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Ed D. wrote: »
    Har-har from an Irish-American.

I lol'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

America, has quite definitely got the biggest collection of brianless morons within their country boundaries.

Quote 1: I want to have the leper-e-con
    Quote 2: Lets vote for George W
    Quote 3: Hi im Sarah Palin

Nuf sed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Just the way they turn "I-re-land" into a 3 syllable word irritates me beyond words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

For the record, I find most Americans to be very caring, generous and fun loving people.

But...working on a PC Helpdesk for the US market a few years ago, I had quite a few humorous calls.

1. On more than one occasion I was asked what part of Australia I was from. Another customer asked if I was German.

2. Several of the callers recognised my accent and asked if I was now living in America. Some of them promptly hung up when they realised that I was actually still in Ireland. It took me a while to figure out why this kept happening. I called one of the customers back and she explained that she didn't want to pay very expensive international phone rates. She had called a freephone number in the US, and obviously had no idea about call routing.

3. I had great difficulting is communicating the word 'five' to Americans from certain states. They heard it as "4F" for some reason. I end up saying "What number comes after 4?" I then told them that whenever they heard me saying 4F (Five), I actually meant that number instead.

4. "Did you learn english when you were in America or in England?".

5. "Ireland, that's near Scotland, right?"

6. I was trying to get a customers address so we could collect a faulty PC from him and replace it. He responded saying "No, I'm not giving you my address. I don't trust you Irish ******* and you might give it to the FBI".

7. "Dublin, in Texas?". Apparantely, there is a city called Dublin in Texas. I had no idea I sounded Texan.

8. From a Texan....."I think my (cattle) ranch is bigger than your country!". He may actually be right.

9. From an elderly Alabama lady..."How long does it take you to walk across Ireland?"

10. Many many references to the troubles in the North, with questions about how difficult it must be to live and work in a warzone, had I seen anyone being killed, had my house ever been bombed etc.

11. And my absolute favourite was a customer who was refused a replacement computer part as she was no longer covered by a warranty. She spoke to my supervisor and said that she thought I was refusing to help her because she was protestant and I was catholic. It just so happened that my supervisor was from the UK, and a devout catholic, whilst I am an athiest.

If I remember more, I'll add them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭missbaker

Met a yank on a beach in Thailand .. asked where i was from . .replied Ireland and he says
    ' Ireland . .that's an island right??

Was in bunratty one day and some american pipes up
    'Why they they build the castle so close to the highway?'

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

Ed D. wrote: »
    Har-har from an Irish-American. Nobel Prizes for Americans... most. Men on the moon for Americans... all of them. Most break-throughs in science, medicine, technology... Sour grapes... ? You win one!

All American men have been on the moon?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

missbaker wrote: »
    Met a yank on a beach in Thailand .. asked where i was from . .replied Ireland and he says
    ' Ireland . .that's an island right??

Was in bunratty one day and some american pipes up
    'Why they they build the castle so close to the highway?'

Technically, Ireland is an island actually :cool:

Maybe I should make a 'Stupid comments by the Irish!!!!'

Advertisement