Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stupid comments by Americans!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

mupchease wrote: »
    On Xbox live while playing COD5.

Some american guy: I went outside this morning and it was like hard snow.

English guy back to him: Its called ice you retard!!

I lol'D!

Huh, there's quite some difference between ice and snow that's hard due to pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭artielange

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mupchease viewpost.gif

I lol'D!

Huh, there's quite some difference between ice and snow that's hard due to pressure.

Could have been Hail:)

artielange wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mupchease viewpost.gif

I lol'D!

Could have been Hail:)
    Ah good point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 erica-d

Was in Boston once and went into a shop to buy fruit, the woman behind the till asked me where I was from and I said Ireland, she then asked me did I know that the orange I had just bought had a 'skin' and I needed to peel it off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

Pub wrote: »
    For the record I'm American born to Irish parents. My Mum was born in Donegal My dad in Ennis. I have been to Ireland many a times, I'm coming over this spring in fact. I get a kick out of being a real Irish American in Ireland.

It seems that everyone has a goofy American story and I am no exception.

This group of yanks walk into the pub I was in. I was hanging out with some of my Irish friends and the crowd was mostly Irish with a few people from the UK on holiday.

Now this yank apparently had seen some local school kids walking to school with there hurleys and inquired why kids were allowed to bring huge clubs to school. With out missing a beat my Irish buddy tells him those are for hurling. I swear the yank said "I'm talking about the clubs there carrying not about what happens when they drink to much. Besides there to young to drink".

I rolled my eyes and bought the bloke a drink as my friends enlightened him to what hurling was and not is.

Oh brother :D

Go home yank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Worked in a hotel for a number of year, accumulated some choice gems...

*Phone rings*

Me: Good evening, reception

American: You must help me, I cant get out of my room!

Me: I dont understand, can you explain. You cant get out of your room?

American: Yes, I'm stuck in my room, I cant find the door I came in through

(Pausing for a chuckle)

Me: Your room is quite small, you should see two doors to your left, beside the desk your telephone is on.

American: I see two doors

Me: Good, now one of those doors is your exit and...

*interrupts*

America: No, one door leads to the bathroom, the other one says 'do not disturb'

Also, my favourite callouts:

Responding to an American emergency, I arrive at the room to find her pulling at the trouser press, demanding to know why the treadmill is so small

Call arrives, American cant turn on his lights. Assuming an electrical fault, I proceed straight to the breakers for the lights, all rooms normal. I arrive at the bedroom to find him clapping....

Go home yank!

Its the great thing about Irish citizenship that if one of your parents are Irish, you are also by default Irish no matter where you are born:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

I cant believe how stupid Irish people are. How in god's name would americans know about ireland. Ireland is a small place, so how would the average Joe know about Irish people? Do Irish people have great knowlegde of Oregon?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,978 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Dob74 wrote: »
    I cant believe how stupid Irish people are. How in god's name would americans know about ireland. Ireland is a small place, so how would the average Joe know about Irish people? Do Irish people have great knowlegde of Oregon?

At least we know leprechauns aren't real...and that Ireland isn't basically a field with a couple of huts in it...

That's all we ask really.

• Advertisement

I found it wasnt so much the 'extent' of their knowledge as the obscure popular notions they had of Irish life and history.

Many I spoke with had assumed until their arrival, that Ireland was part of Britain, didnt expect us to have internet and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Princessa

Could you tell us how we would get to Cob H...
    Sorry where?
    Cob H

Cobh.... lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pub

Its the great thing about Irish citizenship that if one of your parents are Irish, you are also by default Irish no matter where you are born:)

Well both my parents were not only born in Ireland but grew up in Ireland and were married in Ireland. They came to the US because my father worked for Ford motor and was transferred to the US.

People in the US have a tendency to say there Irish even though there 6th generation. They have no idea what it even means to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pub

Hey Dob

According to the US census over 4.1 million Americans claim Irish ancestry. Yet not many know anything about Irish history or about Ireland it's self.

Kind of a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I remember an american student was staying with us, she was 16 bless her, and we used to make up all sorts of stuff. She used to get 'care packages' from her family. We got her when talking to her uncle to say that she had to climb up a pole and connect two wires to get the phone to work, and told him she'd to be up early to bring in the sheep, AND (she came up with this one) said that we didn't have toilet roll here, there was just some sort of 'rag'.
    Guess what came in the next care package? You guessed it, toilet roll, with a note saying to keep it to herself and let them know when she needs more....

Well both my parents were not only born in Ireland but grew up in Ireland and were married in Ireland. They came to the US because my father worked for Ford motor and was transferred to the US.

I was actually defending from that other post saying "YANK GO HOME"
    I know you feel American but depending on if both your parents had American citizenship when you where born,you were actually Irish(citizen) first ....I think.

"People in the US have a tendency to say there Irish even though there 6th generation. They have no idea what it even means to be Irish.

Same with the Africian-Americans but I think in both cases they mean their race and not their nationality .

Hey Dob

According to the US census over 4.1 million Americans claim Irish ancestry. Yet not many know anything about Irish history or about Ireland it's self.

Kind of a shame really.

I think its more like 50 million but that might because when you take the census you can check whatever you want,for you whole household....I surprised more people dont check Irish.....who doesnt want to be Irish?:)

Cant figure out Multi Quote..Sorry

Mods this is on topic:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

americans-good generally

americanisation a cancer of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Yeah. That's in Canada, right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »
    I found it wasnt so much the 'extent' of their knowledge as the obscure popular notions they had of Irish life and history.

Many I spoke with had assumed until their arrival, that Ireland was part of Britain, didnt expect us to have internet and things like that.

Well to be fair most yanks dont know whats going on outside the US.
    I would call it ignorance of international affairs rather than stupidity.

At least we know leprechauns aren't real...and that Ireland isn't basically a field with a couple of huts in it...

That's all we ask really.

In fairness the small houses we live in, are huts compared with the houses they have in the states

Hey Dob

Kind of a shame really.

i think its 40 million. They think by drinking guinness they are irish. Good advertising for guinness

Well to be fair most yanks dont know whats going on outside the US.
    I would call it ignorance of international affairs rather than stupidity.
    Absolutely. Actually, I can almost understand their ignorance. Basically, it's easy for us to have some sort of awareness of how the rest of the world is like, we live in a dense area of cultural diversity, that is, we're less than 1,000 miles from a whole bunch of very different countries, and on top of being influenced by these neighbouring cultures, we're also influenced by the American culture, but also by the culture of our African immigrants and such (at least that's true in France).

In the USA, there's not really any big foreign cultural influence, except a hint of modern British cultural influence, and yet, it's pretty insignificant. Their neighbours are Canada, which they don't consider much different from themselves, nor very interesting, and Mexico, which they want to isolate themselves from like the plague. They don't want any of the cultural influence of recent Hispanic, Asian or Arab immigrants, and their interest in West Indians only goes as far as "lol they smoke weed and talk funny". And they completely forgot about their enclaved Amerindians which they can't be arsed to remember to the point of forgetting about the rural ghettos they've been confining them into for over a century since they were done killing them in mass.

When you understand how removed from the rest of the world and culturally self-centered they are, it's easy to understand how they could have such misconceptions as to how they could think that we wouldn't know how to peel an orange, or live like we did 200 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭anladmór

A_SN wrote: »
    Absolutely. Actually, I can almost understand their ignorance. Basically, it's easy for us to have some sort of awareness of how the rest of the world is like, we live in a dense area of cultural diversity, that is, we're less than 1,000 miles from a whole bunch of very different countries, and on top of being influenced by these neighbouring cultures, we're also influenced by the American culture, but also by the culture of our African immigrants and such (at least that's true in France).

In the USA, there's not really any big foreign cultural influence, except a hint of modern British cultural influence, and yet, it's pretty insignificant. Their neighbours are Canada, which they don't consider much different from themselves, nor very interesting, and Mexico, which they want to isolate themselves from like the plague. They don't want any of the cultural influence of recent Hispanic, Asian or Arab immigrants, and their interest in West Indians only goes as far as "lol they smoke weed and talk funny". And they completely forgot about their enclaved Amerindians which they can't be arsed to remember to the point of forgetting about the rural ghettos they've been confining them into for over a century since they were done killing them in mass.

When you understand how removed from the rest of the world and culturally self-centered they are, it's easy to understand how they could have such misconceptions as to how they could think that we wouldn't know how to peel an orange, or live like we did 200 years ago.

remember when the czech artist did that controversial map of eu states a while back? ireland was depicted as being a haystack or whatever it was.

anyway i said on here 'is that how the rest of europe sees us'...some irish guy living in paris replies in a smug manner saying that they really think of us as just being backward farmers...i said wow, thats pretty ignorant on their part.

so like americans are not just the ignorant ones, they live in their own world because of its sheer size where everything is american influenced and driven, ireland for example is a small country with much more diverse communication coming in its direction and as you say is an island within close proximity to an area consisting of a mixture of many different cultures and people so for that reason generally we would be more culturally aware, well how i understand it anyway.

its late and i probably rambled but yeah great post on your part

A_SN wrote: »
    live like we did 200 years ago.

Come on more like 50.

anladmór wrote: »
    remember when the czech artist did that controversial map of eu states a while back? ireland was depicted as being a haystack or whatever it was.

anyway i said on here 'is that how the rest of europe sees us'...some irish guy living in paris replies in a smug manner saying that they really think of us as just being backward farmers...i said wow, thats pretty ignorant on their part.

so like americans are not just the ignorant ones, they live in their own world because of its sheer size where everything is american influenced and driven, ireland for example is a small country with much more diverse communication coming in its direction and as you say is an island within close proximity to an area consisting of a mixture of many different cultures and people so for that reason generally we would be more culturally aware, well how i understand it anyway.

its late and i probably rambled but yeah great post on your part

No that's the difference between stereotypes and what people actually think. We (I'm actually French) don't think of you as backwards farmers, well actually we don't think of you much, however we surely do see you as drunkards, but hey you've got to admit there's a part of truth in it ;). But that's again just stereotypes, and we all know to what extent we should take them seriously. We all know that it's as true that the Irish are insane drunkards as it's true that the French are smelly arrogant cowards who can't be arsed to learn English. Doesn't prevent anyone from poking fun at us about it ;).

But more seriously, until recently Ireland has more an image of new European El Dorado, with a huge growth and people flocking there to make twice more money than in such countries as France. Besides we all know what western europe is like so we don't even need to know much about a western european country to have realistic expectations of it.
    Come on more like 50.
    Well... a lot of what they think of Europe does date from WWII...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

It's not really Americans, it's tourists. I once had a Basque backpacker going for ages with stories about how the mountain sheep have shorter legs on one side so it's easier for them to graze.

"But don't they fall over on the plain?"
    "No, they're never allowed down there."
    "But what happen when they come to the end?"
    "Helicopters. The farmers get them with an EU grant, and they fly over and lift the sheep back to the beginning of the mountain so they can spiral gradually up again. Only leprechauns are allowed to be pilots, though - it's all very unionised..."

I think that was when the whites of his eyes started to show and he realised he was falling for a joke... he started giggling quietly to himself in the back of the car, and was still snickering "Helicopters.... leprechauns..." when he got out. I could see he was warming up to try it on some other tourist.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

My GF was an air hostess and worked with quite a few dumb yanks.

They landed at Heathrow shortly after the new about Diana's death was all over the news. People crying etc etc and someone said that the paparazzi had killed her.

First officer states loudly;

"Now why would that fat ****er wanna go ahead and kill Princess Diana?"
    Err, that would be Pavarotti, not the paparazzi....
    "Huh?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Or another one wrote a a card to his girlfriend at the time and they all saw it.
    Pretty sure he meant to say
    "I love you, sweety"
    but he wrote;
    "I love you, sweaty"

The funniest thing is that she didn't notice either.

Advertisement