Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why are the Operators locking GRPS settings?

• 09-03-2006 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

What is it with Operators not giving you ALL the gprs settings by default if you're on prepaid and sometime even postpaid? :mad:
    And then when you have gprs settings that you can easily get sent for free to your phone, you're still F###ed if you wanna browse outside of the operator's wallgarden. When are they gonna stop ripping us off and blocking, locking stopping us from using a phone we bought for over a 100 quid and do wahtever we want with it? They should give us OPEN grps by default without having to call the customer service, wait for ages, talk to a muppet that doesn't understand waht you want and sends you the grps settings.
    then you call back, still waiting for ages, then the guy on the other end of the phone still doesn't know what you're talking about, but is clever enough to put you on hold and ask his supervisor.

Then, after verifying your identity they send a request to the handset manufacturer to unlock your grps access to OPEN.

I was trying to subscribe to one of those mobile phone backup services to backup all your contacts (over the air) from your phone to an online account. (quite a cool service out there by the way). But the pb is that they send you a wap push, that you need to retrieve to receive your settings, password etc...and sometimes you can't access the link if you don't have open grps.
    Basically, you arrive on a MY Meteor WAP page, instead of the link you are trying to reach, which is not what you want.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, anyone has any idea of how to get open grps settings in an easier way than calling the operator and spending ages explainig the difference between gprs and open gprs to the customer support dude on the phone???

Cheers.

Jarod

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I never had to do anything special on a Meteor phone to get it to do GPRS to anywhere. If you're having problems, there's a sticky in this forum with the GPRS settings for the various operators and you can enter by hand. If you have a Nokia, you can request a free OTA message from their web site to setup the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 jarod

Blaster99,

you can get the gprs setting from either the meteor website or directly from the nokia website. but only the standard gprs. in other words, you are still limited in what you want to download or access.

Basic example, I received a wap push from a mate to download a java app.
    His server is based in sweden. I get a service message with a link to retrieve, then when I retrieve I don't reach his download page, but the My Meteor WAP page.
    But I can surf wap pages on my phone no bother.

When I called Meteor, and explained what I needed, the guy reuqested it from Nokia, who then turned off or on something hich then allowed me to retrieve the wap push sent by my mate in Sweden.

See the difference?
    Basically those B##@rds not only rip you off compared to any other european country on the prices of calls and romaing, but they also want to lock you in their world to download stuffs.

Slain,

jarod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭MagicBusDriver

The only operator with a walled garden is 3.

nah, I am on prepaid meteor and I had to do loads of stuff to be able to retrieve my mate's wap push and download the java application.

Everytime I was trying to retrieve anything outside of ireland, I was automatically redirected to the My Meteor wap page.:confused:

Surely the operators should give us all the standard settings like gprs by default when you buy your phone, shouldn't they? I am talking about the unlocked/open grps setting, not just grps settings.
    O2 postpaid customers get the open grps straight away, no messing

weird that they don't cope on that if you can do more stuff you will do more stuff and download from outside their world will make them millions in grps traffic.

There was this stuff in the UK, where a guy got hit with a £26 bill for downloading a full track that he bought for 99p becasue it was outside of the opreator's offering (like Vodafone live!). £26 for a 99p download.
    That was all gprs traffic charges.

So the operators obviously make money if we can be free to do whatever we want.

I don't get why the restrictions.

It's like the phonebackup service I was trying to download.
    Surely they should be happy. When I backup all my contacts, it goes over gprs. they must make a few quid on me then.
    But nah, can't fecken retrieve the settings for the service unless I spend 20min talking to a customer service who will get the query if I am lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

I have never had any such problem, and while I dont know anything about meteor, I do know a lot about O2.

Operators like O2, and Vodafone, provide an "internal" GPRS service. Your phone connects to this and then you can access the portal, like Voda Live or O2 Active. This service has a proxy for accessing the rest of the internet as well. So I had no problems browsing the normal internet, I could go to US or British websites no problem. The problem with this is that you can only access port 80. So sites or servers using a different port, say 81, would be inaccessable.

To access the complete open internet (all ports), you use a different access point which is the same access point you would use if you wanted to use your phone as a modem from your laptop.

Advertisement