Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Academy Street Shopping Plans

Options
  • 09-03-2006 7:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else see this in the Echo yesterday? They're planning to turn the block of Academy Street and that dingy little lane just north of it into a new shopping district for Cork - among the companies they are targeting to take up retail space are H&M and BT2. How sweet would that be?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

For those of us who never notice the name of what street we are on, wheres that. Give me a shop/landmark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's the current Examiner building. Their paper will in future be printed by Webprint in Mahon Point, and their offices are moving to a floor in the new block next to the Clarion Hotel. Pretty sure that's public knowledge at this stage. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Isn't it a new company so they could lay off all the old printing press staff from the Examiner even though TCH still own it? Stupidest name ever. Webprint who print papers. Stupid logo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

ohh happy day, more clothes shops! Just when I thought I had truly exhausted all my options.

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure all the printing staff have transferred or will transfer to Webprint. Pressure of the awards getting to you Damo? You seem very quick to anger these days. ;)

Have to confess, I don't know what either of H&M or BT2 are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Ken Shabby wrote:
    Have to confess, I don't know what either of H&M or BT2 are!

They are indeed clothes shops.

Yes, but what kind of clothes shops? Men's clothes, women's clothes, donkey's clothes?

(Donkeys are people too!)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Well, afaik, both those stores do clothes for men and women. And possibly donkeys... o_O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

ooh horray! I love H&M... I knew they were making a shopping complex, but didn't know what shops were going there, will be good to see them!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

damien.m wrote:
    Stupidest name ever. Webprint who print papers. Stupid logo too.

I think you will find you are mistaken - the process of printing using 'webs' of paper, as opposed to sheets, is called web offset. So, webprint is pretty much what it does: nothing to do with www.

Learn something new every day. I thought maybe it was a (slightly inaccurate) reference to more connected processes.

("Slightly inaccurate" being why I kept my mouth shut, so I wouldn't get told off in a tourette-laden diatribe. :))

adam

(He should working on the awards by now, so I have a certain, temporary sense of security.)

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

It's bout time we got H&M in the city centre. I know they have one out in Blackpool, but for those who are lazy (like me) and find it an inconvenience to go out there, it's a great idea. And anyways, Roches were advertising a while back that H&M were going into the upstairs section opposite the lingerie and swimwear. I was getting all my hopes up, while it fell through. Definitely looking forward to it.

zenith wrote:
    I think you will find you are mistaken - the process of printing using 'webs' of paper, as opposed to sheets, is called web offset. So, webprint is pretty much what it does: nothing to do with www.

Ahhh cool. One web user educated. Just another few billion to go. Must tell the Murphy Bundle of Sticks Makers Ltd to rename their company to **** Ltd then.

Mmm, nice lemons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

Bit of a mixture there H&M so cheap and BT so dear. I wonder if H&M will still be as cheap as in Europe or will we get Irish prices.
    I hadn't heard they were putting one in Blackpool?

Was in the Henry Street H&M store yest. Awful selection and not so cheap. Paris stores have huge selection and are quite inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

damien.m wrote:
    Was in the Henry Street H&M store yest. Awful selection and not so cheap. Paris stores have huge selection and are quite inexpensive.

Ditto, the Henry Street one is quite poor to some I've been in on the continent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Yeah I'm all for European prices too. I'm always passing out in the one on Henry street so I try to avoid it as much as possible. Am I getting mixed up with H&M and New Look? I think I am!

Apologies if I am... :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was amazed when I saw on breaking.examienr.ie that de paper was exclusively revealing this factoid.. a bit strange since the whole thing was annunced last year (or earlier) when they negotiated the deal to seel the place to Owen O'Callaghan..

Are you sure they weren't exclusively revealing a particular aspect of it? That's how the media fills in the blank spots on slow news days.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Well I didnt read the full article (was browsing over GPRS) but it mentioned that he was looking for PP for shops (gee surprise) and that such-and-such were rumoured to be interested (usual suspects)...

Advertisement