Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to go?

Options
  • 09-03-2006 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

If Im coming in from the U.S., where are some good places to sort of meet people around my age (20ish) that will show me the ropes. i want to LIVE not tour Ireland. Needless to say i don't know **** bout the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I take it you are coming to Galway since you posted here. In the stickie "Activities and Resources in Galway" you'll find loads of things to do. Most people that you meet will have lots of tips on things to do in the area.

Join a sports team?
    Are you studying or working?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Deirdre 001

If you are coming into the city u HAVE to visit C.P.'s agreat night out!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh yes you can't beat the Cess Pit on a night out in Galway
    Finnmann wrote:
    If Im coming in from the U.S., where are some good places to sort of meet people around my age (20ish) that will show me the ropes. i want to LIVE not tour Ireland. Needless to say i don't know **** bout the area.

whats your interests? Galway usually has something for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

danniemcq wrote:
    whats your interests? Galway usually has something for everyone

WHAT???????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Finnmann

I plan on just living it up. get a job to get by, otherwise hit up the music scene and pubs. Do Dropkick Murphys play much there or around there? Anyone like them?
    oh, do i need anything other that a passport to get a job there, or do a need another type of card?

• Advertisement

If you're looking for a good night out in Galway, I'd actually advise you to stay clear of the clubscene, and stick to the pubs. And on that front, I'd say to go to the Living Room, Kings Head, Roisin Dubh, Massimos. Other than that, I think you should buy yourself a bike. Or rent one. Though buying a bike would probably work out cheaper in the long run. That way you can explore Galway properly (at the moment, its best if you don't take a car anywhere, as there are countless roadworks in and around the Galway area)

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭BannedGugai

Finnmann wrote:
    I plan on just living it up. get a job to get by, otherwise hit up the music scene and pubs. Do Dropkick Murphys play much there or around there? Anyone like them?
    oh, do i need anything other that a passport to get a job there, or do a need another type of card?

Flogging Molly should be back in July.
    Get yourself a Roisin Dubh membership card www.roisindubh.net/register.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Finnmann

To get a bike, how much they runnin price wise? What places are good places there to stay a month or so that aren't gonnna drain my funds in a night or two? Which of those are in good locations close to some pubs? How often does Flogging Molly and the like get out there? And what are the rules now of smoking there and how much they costing? what brands?

Finnmann wrote:
    To get a bike, how much they runnin price wise? What places are good places there to stay a month or so that aren't gonnna drain my funds in a night or two? Which of those are in good locations close to some pubs? How often does Flogging Molly and the like get out there? And what are the rules now of smoking there and how much they costing? what brands?

A bike could be anywhere between €100-€300 depending on the quality you want. I would advise either Kearneys, or Mountain Trail in the Corn Store.

Uhm, as for a place to stay, possibly the Travel Lodge http://www.travelodgegalway.com/

The smoking law is that you cannot smoke in a public working enviroment, or any working enviroment for the matter. These include restaurants, pubs, nightclubs, shopping centres. Some pubs have allocated smoking rooms however.

I don't know much about smoking, as I am a non-smoker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Finnmann wrote:

Now and again, they play Dublin too.
    Decent music scene, punk, metal, misc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement