Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear fog lamps

Options
  • 09-03-2006 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

I just got a Jap import into the country and it has no rear fog lamp. It has to go for NCT. Now the question is......because it was not part of the car and is not missing, can it be examined. It is a bit like the old cars that were not fitted with rear safety belts. If they are not part of the car then they cannot be examined and therefore cannot fail on something that is not part of the car.

Has anybody any experience on this one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

Nope, not required.

NCT will only look for factory fitted equipment. Jap spec cars tend not to have rear fogs. Required in NI & the UK though.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Great, pity they wouldn't make more without them.

Then retards wouldn't go about with them on all the time :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

mmenarry wrote:
    Required in NI & the UK though.
    And in the On position on all Ford hatchbacks in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the problem with the Ford rear fog light switch (and indeed VW) is that the main light switch has to be pulled towards you one click to turn on the front foglights, and two clicks to turn on both front and rear. It's all too easy to develop a habit of simeltaniously twisting and pulling. this is rewarded by a nice green symbol and another lovely orange one on the dash where normally there would just be boring black dashboard.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The dashboard warning lights are clearly visible, even during the day.

People who habitually drive with fog lights on know exactly what they are dong imho.

Enforcement of on the spot fines/penalty points is the only way to deal with these ignorami.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Anyone driving a Ford with front/rear fogs on and claiming they didn't know about it is either:

a) Far too blind to legally be driving a car.
    b) A lying ****tard.

There are bright, highly visible, separate lights on the dash buttons for both front and rear fogs - you can't miss 'em. They're even different colours (amber and green) to tell them apart in the dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I bet those grannys in the Micra's and Corsa's don't know they even have rear fog lights. At least in VW's they turn off every time you turn your lights off, in a lot of cars they stay on unless the switch is turned off (not done automatically as it should.)

The manufacturers make you pull the knob out for a reason - only use them if you need to - therefore you should only really use your front foglights when there is fog so if you have rear ones on too it won't matter because you'll need them anyway. People use them a lot when there is no need, I find the front fogs on the old (~98-02) micra's are blinding and very distracting to oncoming traffic - it's like leaving full beams on.

In case you didn't realise, I hate Micra's (and find their drivers usually clueless) and whoever designs them should be shot.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Stephen wrote:
    Anyone driving a Ford with front/rear fogs on and claiming they didn't know about it is either:

a) Far too blind to legally be driving a car.
    b) A lying ****tard.

There are bright, highly visible, separate lights on the dash buttons for both front and rear fogs - you can't miss 'em. They're even different colours (amber and green) to tell them apart in the dark.
    This could apply to most cars and their drivers.
    I sat behind a small car (can't recall model) recently in rush hour traffic from the M50 to the Newcastle Jcn on the N4 (15-20 minutes) and I think the woman driving didn't realise her left indicators were ticking away.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Damn fog lights... you also have the boy racers and the Audi drivers thinking they are cool with their fog lights.

Its actually illegal to use them when not foggy but the guards here do not enforce it. They do in england and will do you for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i dont realy saee the problem with it if they turn them off when they dip their full beams and why anyone would have a problem with anyone using the rear one is beyond me???
    Can someone explain why its so offencive?

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote:
    Damn fog lights... you also have the boy racers and the Audi drivers thinking they are cool with their fog lights.

Don't forget the BMW drivers Saruman. Those bastards.
    Its actually illegal to use them when not foggy but the guards here do not enforce it. They do in england and will do you for it!
    My understanding is that it's not covered by legislation; rather it's covered under the "dangerous driving" catch-all that Gardaí pull out of their hat when they can't think of something real. If I'm wrong, I'd love to see the relevant legislation. And it has to be said that you do occasionally get a knuckle-dragging power-junkie that'll tell you to turn them off.
    I don't have a problem with front fogs, because they're only dazzling when they're set incorrectly. If some people's fogs /aren't/ configured correctly, telling them to turn them off is an Oirish solution. Mine are, so I keep them on permanently, partially because I genuinely believe that it improves visibility for other drivers, and partly because it drives pedants nuts.

However if you have to ask why rear forglights are annoying, you've obviously never driven behind a car with their rear foglight on. It's roughly the same as driving behind someone with their brake light on all the time. And since they're not directional...

adam

i dont realy saee the problem with it if they turn them off when they dip their full beams and why anyone would have a problem with anyone using the rear one is beyond me???
    the problem is that they drive around with them during daylight and use them in urban areas where full beams would largely be irrelevant.
    I do find that they can dazzle oncoming traffic and look forward to the day the gardai enforce this law.
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    Don't forget the BMW drivers Saruman. Those bastards.

I have been driving BMWs for about 6 years and don't feel the need to use fog lights.

i wasn't talking about during daylight hours, thats just retarded but at night i dont see the problem?

I said Audi but included anyone in expensive saloons like BMW,Merc etc...
    Anyway kbannon nice to know you have never had to drive in fog so have never had to use them.. but a lot of drivers use them all the time when there is no need except as a statement!!

When its foggy out i make a point of turning OFF my fog lights when im out of the fog, even if its only a few mins and there is more up ahead.. i turn them off then back on again when i enter the fog.

Rear fog lights blind drivers behind them.. even if you have a big distance between you and the offender!!
    Front fog lights are not only almost as bad even if they are set right.. they are damn right dangerous on dark roads with no street lights (90% of country). An oncoming driver is blinded enough by ordinary headlights (not high beams) but add piercing fog lights and it can blind a driver for a few mins and wreck their nightvision...

What about when it is raining and the low fog lights create a dazzle for oncoming motorists?
    What about 4x4s who have fogs pointing directly in your mirrors?
    What about the fact that they are only necessary in foggy conditions when other lights are of less use? I can recall about 4 or 5 instances where I felt they were actually required in the last 10 years

Why is it offensive? Simply, because it shows a lack of consideration for other road users.

I wouldnt use them in built up areas but if i'm driving in the sticks I like to have as much light as I can so turn them on, if I see a car coming the other way i turn them off just as i would with full beam?

Thats all very well for YOU but even that to be honest shows something very wrong with you if full beams are not enough for you to see at night!!

Anyway most drivers do not turn them off for oncoming cars and there is still the rear foglights!

its not that i cant see but the more light the better. i could see with just side lights on but that wouldnt be a good idea either.

And i dont use my rear fog light but in fairness, its just a red light, not exactly blinding?

I wouldnt use them in built up areas but if i'm driving in the sticks I like to have as much light as I can so turn them on, if I see a car coming the other way i turn them off just as i would with full beam?
    Im not sure which car you have but are you saying that for every car that approaches you need to flick the light stalk to change from full beams to dipped and then switch your front fogs off. then when the car has passed you flick & switch again? Not exactly focused on driving are you?
    And i dont use my rear fog light but in fairness, its just a red light, not exactly blinding?
    When was the last time you drove behind one? I honestly find them very hard on the eyes and frequently cause a headache if Im behind one for a longish period.

kbannon wrote:
    Im not sure which car you have but are you saying that for every car that approaches you need to flick the light stalk to change from full beams to dipped and then switch your front fogs off. then when the car has passed you flick & switch again? Not exactly focused on driving are you?

I drive a 206. It doesnt take that much effort to twist and flick the stalk in fairness. It's not like ya need to look were your moving your hand.

I will agree it can be a bit strong sometimes with the rear one. I dont use it anyway i was just saying.

• Advertisement

I drive a 206. It doesnt take that much effort to twist and flick the stalk in fairness. It's not like ya need to look were your moving your hand.
    True - the 206 is easy enough to change - I would have to turn a switch on the dashboard if I wanted my fogs on.

If it was a case of turning a seperate dial i wouldnt bother but coz its so handy to flick on/off thats why i use em.

Spitfire, the rear foglight is extremely blinding when stuck behind a car with one on WHEN THERE IS NO FOG. I was behind a Corsa for about 40 miles on the N6 one day, flashing my lights at the girl a lot but she hadn't a clue why.(I was about to get out of the car in Moate to ask her to turn them off but the traffic was unusually free-flowing). I often do this to drivers who leave them on, but it just shows their ignorance because not once has the driver realised what I was flashing at and turned them off. The next time I'll just leave my full beams on behind them - it should be just as blinding to them in their rearview mirror as their foglight is in my eyes.

Ken Shabby
    I don't have a problem with front fogs, because they're only dazzling when they're set incorrectly.
    Every Micra I've seen with them on has nearly blinded me. They must be all set incorrectly. I agree, they help your vision as you can see lower on the road and the ditches with them, but I still don't think they are necessary. I don't have a huge problem if they're set correctly though, but they are perhaps usually set very brightly because they are only for use in the fog?

faigs wrote:
    Spitfire, the rear foglight is extremely blinding when stuck behind a car with one on WHEN THERE IS NO FOG. I was behind a Corsa for about 40 miles on the N6 one day, flashing my lights at the girl a lot but she hadn't a clue why.(I was about to get out of the car in Moate to ask her to turn them off but the traffic was unusually free-flowing). I often do this to drivers who leave them on, but it just shows their ignorance because not once has the driver realised what I was flashing at and turned them off. The next time I'll just leave my full beams on behind them - it should be just as blinding to them in their rearview mirror as their foglight is in my eyes.
    QUOTE]

I've been behind cars with them on and dont find them to be THAT blinding.
    They can be a little strong sometimes but not always.

And just a little bit of friendly advice, getting out of your car to give out to somebody isnt a great idea, you could find yourself in a position a whole lot worse then sitting behind a rear fog light.

And just a little bit of friendly advice, getting out of your car to give out to somebody isnt a great idea, you could find yourself in a position a whole lot worse then sitting behind a rear fog light.

And what position would that be?

I wasn't going to give out to the girl, I was just going to politely ask her to turn it off and tell her she's been blinding me for the last 40 miles. If road users don't know how to use their lights safely they shouldn't be on the road IMO.

I've always resisted the temptation to do that, because I'm pretty certain the response, 90% of the time, will be: "My whats?"

adam

I heard stories of people not taking to kindly to somebody telling them off and beating the crap out of them.
    Didnt mean anything by it, was just letting you know it does happen.

The response i would LIKE to take is to overtake the idiots and turn on MY rear fog lights. Turn them off... then turn them back on again... unfortunatly i mostly would be driving my company Focus van with company details/phone number all over it so a spitefull driver would have no problem calling my work and making up some crazy lie about seeing me driving like a bat out of hell at 160kph on a small country road....

I did do it once in my ordinary car on the M4. Driver did not understand and his lights stayed on so i drove on and left him behind.

We need proper driving education in this country.. like the US where they learn to drive in school!!

Saruman wrote:
    The response i would LIKE to take is to overtake the idiots and turn on MY rear fog lights. Turn them off... then turn them back on again... unfortunatly i mostly would be driving my company Focus van with company details/phone number all over it so a spitefull driver would have no problem calling my work and making up some crazy lie about seeing me driving like a bat out of hell at 160kph on a small country road....

I did do it once in my ordinary car on the M4. Driver did not understand and his lights stayed on so i drove on and left him behind.

Most people would probably think you are trying to brake

• Advertisement

i tried something similir with a girl who had her right indicator on for a 2mile straight. blinked the indicator on nd off but didnt work. then she turned thenm off before turning them on straight away to take a left turn.

Advertisement