Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway's beer with no name

Options
  • 09-03-2006 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

From todays Advertiser: "Two entrepreneurs are seeking a name for Galway's first ever craft beer which they are planning to brew in local pubs in Galway city by summer."

http://www.nameyourbeer.net/index.php

I'm gonna win this (fingers crossed).

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

biko wrote:
    From todays Advertiser: "Two entrepreneurs are seeking a name for Galway's first ever craft beer which they are planning to brew in local pubs in Galway city by summer."

I'm gonna win this (fingers crossed).
    I'm entering some suggestions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Mines in, fingers crossed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Given that their inspiration was the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, there's only one name this can be given:

The Galway Gargleblaster. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Sleepy wrote:
    Given that their inspiration was the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy, there's only one name this can be given:

The Galway Gargleblaster. :D

Imagine going into a puband asking for a pint of The Galway Gargleblaster
    It needs to be a short catchy name

mayotom, your name betrays you...

G'way out of our city! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

shush, you ran off to Foxbush Terrace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Two pints of Biko and a packet of crips, please.

Ran? Pfft, I was dragged kicking and screaming!

"That drink".

Would make so much. You're extremely drunk. You can barely tell your left foot from your right. You stumble to the bar and ask for "That drink".

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh (and as I revert back to a monkey with excitement)

"Next Round". It's perfect. Group of friends sitting down. One says to the other, "Will you get the next round?" Priceless.

(both are submitted already so na-na-na-na-na Pfffttt)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I suggested, 'Pint'.

• Advertisement

Since theres already a shot called the Cock Sucking Cowboy, there should be a drink called the "Nipple Sucking Nurse" for us guys who are too afraid to order one of 'em shots.

"Sex on the saw dust floor"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

The Galway Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭mayotom

Sleepy wrote:
    mayotom, your name betrays you...

G'way out of our city! :p

Where would ye be without us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Tribal Thump ..... that sort of reasonates !

(Sponge leans on Counter, Giz a thump barman willya ! )

Not sure if anyone else got that email, but they've picked the names you have to choose from.. and I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with them

Here is the list:

Cuckoo -This just about sums up our approach to life. It is also the name of our brewery
    42 -This was deciphered to be the answer to the question of the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything by Deep Thought in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Hooker -A famous type of sailing boat traditionally used by fishermen in Galway. It also has some other connotations!!
    Pot Belly -Just a funny name
    TribAle -Galway is known as the City of the Tribes and we are producing an ale.
    Turoe -The Turoe Stone in County Galway is one of the finest examples of decorated Pre-Christian ritual stones in Europe

I have to say that the Hooker one would be a little misleading. You'll get alot of people excited over getting a hooker for less than a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

I have to say that the Hooker one would be a little misleading. You'll get alot of people excited over getting a hooker for less than a fiver.
    :D

Yeah got the mail and have registered my vote.Can't wait to get the free beer an dnight out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

did anyone on boards name any of the finalists?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I refuse to suggest a name without being allowed to taste it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭TiwstaSista

Liquor licker, lager lovin lesbians love it! :D

• Advertisement

No we don't.

In mail today:

Hello,
    Well, it's almost time!! The votes have been counted, the winners informed, the beer is fermenting and we're licking our lips in anticipation. So the only thing that's left for you to do is show up at the launch and enjoy what's going to be a fantastic night of festivities and, of course, great and real beer.

Out of the thousands of nominations and votes we received, "Hooker" has been elected the name of the beer. We particularly like this name as it allows for some "creative" advertising/promotions (He He!!). Actually, we are about to order some beer mats for the launch and are trying to come up with a fun strap-line or slogan, so if you have any ideas we'd love to hear them. You can check out the logo for the beer by visiting our website.

In the meantime, we'd like to thank you for participating in the creation of this beer and we look forward to seeing you at the launch, which we anticipate will be in the Roisin Dubh in early July. We will email you the exact details in the near future.

Cheers to Good Beer,

Aidan and Ronan

logo.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

"Gui-Eyed"

In mail today:

We are really excited to be able to invite you to the launch of our new craft beer, Galway Hooker, which will take place in the Roisin Dubh next Saturday, July 8. We have a fantastic night lined up and will be offering complimentary samples of the beer from 7.00pm until about 9.00pm. After that, local band the Cartoon Thieves will keep the entertainment running through the night.

We hope that you will be able to come along, sample the beer, relax and enjoy the evening. Also, given that you will be the first people to try it, we'd love to get your feedback on the beer and keep you involved in its development. The beer has been designed to appeal to those of you who are tried of drinking the same old boring, bland and indistinguishable beers being produced by the multinationals. We want to offer you an alternative: a fresh, full flavoured and natural beer, brewed without the use of any chemicals or preservatives. The beer will also be available in the Bierhaus, Tigh Neachtain, Massimo, the Blue Note, Sheridan's on the Dock, the Hop Inn and KRCMA.

So be a part of Galway history and make you way down to the Roisin Dubh early to ensure you beat the crowd and claim your beer token.

Cheers to Good Beer,

Aidan and Ronan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

Hooker -A famous type of sailing boat traditionally used by fishermen

1 hooker only 5.95 i will have 10 of them pls:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

awhir wrote:
    1 hooker only 5.95 i will have 10 of them pls:D

That'll be €59.50 please...

(Wow! I can add....)

So, who's going to Roisin Dubh tomorrow? I'll be there at 7pm for a sample.
    Might hit the Note after, depends on if I have to work Sunday.

Hmm. I see it clashes with the hurling in Pearse. Will prob not make it for 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I'll be there :D

It was good.
    A bit smokey like, an aquierd taste.
    Got me drubk anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Hmmm... Now I am tempted...

Is it in comparison in anything else you've ever had?

Advertisement