Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart broadband cutting out after afew hours connected.

• 09-03-2006 7:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭

I just got smart broadband, and I've noticed the connection cuts off every few hours, and the router becomes unresponsive, needing a restart. Anybody experience similiar.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

LiouVille wrote:
    I just got smart broadband, and I've noticed the connection cuts off every few hours, and the router becomes unresponsive, needing a restart. Anybody experience similiar.

Have you checked your line stats? It may be that your line is not up to the 3Mbs speed? You can pursue this further at http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Have you tried updating the router to the latest firmware version?
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=2

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Kensington wrote:
    Have you tried updating the router to the latest firmware version?
    http://support.smarttelecom.ie/forums/announcement.php?f=2

I think the firmware has been updated already on the most recently supplied modems - at least it was on the one a friend of mine got about a fortnight ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Yes I've update the firm wear, and what do you mean by check the lien states, how do i do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djindji

Thanks Kensington :)

The firmware upgrade fixed my problem. I just got the modem last week (it was v26, new one is v28) and got hooked up to Smart services yesterday. My connection wasn't dropping after a few hours though - it was dropping after every couple of minutes!!!

In my attempts to contact Smart on 1800931300 I got only more frustrated when I learnt they had nobody to answer the phone for fault reports. After holding for about 45 min ("you're fith caller in the cue"..) I got just ringing out..

This was just amazing that I managed to find the answer on-line. I happen to be an IT engineer so had no problem updating firmware. God help "normal" people who sign up for broadband with Smart.. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rei

djindji :

Q1: when u lost connection, is the link light flashing?

Q2: Are u using Main phone socket and filters?

Q3: using extension Cable?

Hi Rei,

A1: Yes

A2: Using filters provided with the modem

A3: No

Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 rei

Swap the filter
    Unplug all the phones in the house
    if still not working, put the router directly to the main wall socket

Link light should be solid green all the time:rolleyes:

if the link light still flashing, it may be fault router or bad line
    need to contact smarttelecom technical support :cool:

I hope that help:D

Thanks Rei,

I think you must have misunderstood me - my problem was fixed by flashing firmware. So all this stuff with connections and filters is OK. My only problem was the old firmware version, new one works great! I thought you were asking me stuff about cables etc because you were curious why it didn't work with the old firmware. Guess the old firmware had some sort of bug..

Advertisement