Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Anyone one own or driven a saxo vtr/vts??

Options
  • 09-03-2006 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭

Im thinking of getting one, seeing as im carless as my super bargin nissan sunny was nicked on sunday.. Figured with the few bob i made from selling my merc i'll get something fun to use over the summer n sell before i buy go to buy moi house...

Anyone here got one?? Any reviews/advice on buying one??

Im not a boy racer looking for a (vegetable)souped up one.. Want something as near enough std.. looking for something fun to drive, something to make the dublin mountains enjoyable to drive around again :):)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

Think I'd prefer a Pug GTI.

Saxos are sh1t boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Same car, just a different body i thought... 106gti are a good bit more expensive.. If i find one at a decent price id go for it..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

There was a guy of the motors for sale page selling a Polo GTI recntly, which looked good.

There was a guy of the motors for sale page selling a Polo GTI recntly, which looked good.

Think he was looking for 9k for it.. my budget is half that..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Yep there practically the same car.The pug is renowned for its handling tho,both seem to be good cars and there fairly nippy too.If your willing to travel they can be gotten in the uk a hell of alot cheaper than here.

Should you catch the modifying bug there's also parts a plenty available for them,both styling and performance wise

• Advertisement

I've no problem going to the uk for one... but by the time u add vrt n shipping it nearly works out the same. Heading up north seems to be the best bet.. Huge choice in the UK tho.. If i can get over n back cheap enough i'll prob do it, got my merc in the uk through e-bay..

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

unklerosco wrote:
    I've no problem going to the uk for one... but by the time u add vrt n shipping it nearly works out the same. Heading up north seems to be the best bet.. Huge choice in the UK tho.. If i can get over n back cheap enough i'll prob do it, got my merc in the uk through e-bay..

alot of UK imports work out the same or nearly the same but usually the spec is far higher, the shocks are'nt shot to bits and the general quality is way higher than here.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

This might be worth a look then. A 106 GTi. Looks standard. A bit of leg on it, but the price looks ok.

This might be worth a look then. A 106 GTi. Looks standard. A bit of leg on it, but the price looks ok.

Nice... But i know of 2 '98 GTi's going for €4,500. Which reminds me, i must give one of em a call..

Look at as many as you can. This type of car is likely to have lived a hard life.

Buy the best you can afford, and still budget for some repairs.

The bitterness of low quality remains long after the swetness of a low price is forgotten.

Very profound, but true.

• Advertisement

Picked up a 97 vts in the uk.. heading over to pick it up soon enough.. cheers for the replys

Just got the car... Good god its amazing, its fappin fantastic...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

any pics?

1.JPG
    Pic from the guy i got it off
    No pics of my own as its to dark out...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

whats it like, i'm driving a 106 gti and polo gti this week to see which one to go for, never really thought about the saxo

Im assuming its more or less the same as the 106 as they're near enough the same car.. i just prefare the look of the saxo. Its a phenomenal drive.. Only drove it for about 45mins... Up early tomorrow n off for a propper spin. Its like a go cart... corners will never be the same again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭roughan

when i bought my Polo Gti i looked at a 106 gti and they are a Great car
    however my mate bought one and had ENDLESS probs with it
    when it was good it was excellect however when it was bad ......
    if u dont believe me do a search in google for "106 gti problems"

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=411335
    http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction-forums.showdiscussion/thread_id-13302/bd2e2841.html
    http://www.octane.ie/cult/forum/showthread.php?p=5225&page=2&pp=10

Advertisement