Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Bill Confusion

• 09-03-2006 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I was on iol no limits an recently rang up and upgraded to btbb+ . Just checked online an my first bill says as follows:

overdue amount: 19.87
    BB option 3 two monthly rental fee: 72.62
    iol no limts 2 months :41:98
    bb+ self install modem:115:70
    BT internet:34.99

Where are they getting these charges from? There was no mention of self install fee when i signed up and I searched there site for any mention. I didnt ordered line rental with them, im still with eircom. Secondly now i have bb shouldnt they have cancelled my no limits account? and whats this bt internet charge? surely the wont bill me for my bb usuage for two months? And if they are charging me in advance surely it would be 80 euro.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Welcome to the world of esatBT billing.... basically you will have to spell out everything real clear to them several times, then they will still make a mess of it. It's pretty obvious that you won’t be using no limits and BB together, so you should only have to pay for your BB. A self-install fee of €115 sounds ridiculous. On their site its only lists a one off connection fee of €40 for either of there three options. Yeah if you’re on option 3 you will pay €80 on the 24th of a billing month and that would cover you for the next two months. Have they taken the money by DD yet or is the bill pending? You have probably many phone calls ahead of you to sort it out, be patient, keep at them ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Its by DD but ive been down the bank machine and withdrawn every cent i have :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,200 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Slunk wrote:
    I love it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Sapele

Actually, if having no money in your current account is going to cause a few problems for you, another option would be to contact your bank, tell them you have a billing issue with esatBT (they may well say oh not another one !) and you would like to cancel the DD until the problem is sorted out. Going by past experience BT may well not sort the problem out before your DD date arrives, then you will be in the worse position of either trying to get your account credited or a refund. When esat BT realise you wont pay up until your bill is correct you have a better chance of them actually doing something .... the chance goes from not great to a little better than not great :eek:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

And people on here continue to recommend them:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Slunk wrote:
    That could cost you though...
    One month, I cut it a bit too close putting enough money in my account... it must have been no more than a few hours between my deposit and Esats DD, but I got a nice heafty bank charge (16 euro) because the Esat DD failed due to not having enough cash. :mad:
    Which was a great laugh actually, because even though I had enough to meet the DD after my deposit... the -16 euro dropped me back below again.

Actually, just as I was checking my online banking there, I noticed the deposit I made yesterday for my upcoming Esat bill has been made utterly f*cking pointless thanks to the bozo governments ATM card levvy. (for a card that I've used twice in the past 12 months)
    So it's back down to the bank tomorrow to deposit €7.50 :rolleyes:
    Yes, I'm piss-poor. :(

So, eh just watch out for bank charges if you're going to drain your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

>> overdue amount: 19.87
    This is a bit of a strange one. Did you owe them any money from your last no limits bill?
    >> BB option 3 two monthly rental fee: 72.62
    This is fine, you pay in advance for the BB, two months at a time.
    >> iol no limts 2 months :41:98
    If you didn't specifically cancel the no limits, then it will continue until you cancel it in writing. They can't assume you want it cancelled.
    >> bb+ self install modem:115:70
    That's just wrong. It's €40 self install, plus an optional €40 more for a wireless modem.
    >> BT internet:34.99
    Don't know what this is.
    >> There was no mention of self install fee when i signed up and I searched there site for any mention.
    It's mentioned on the site all right.
    >> I didnt ordered line rental with them, im still with eircom.
    And you're not paying line rental to them.
    >> Secondly now i have bb shouldnt they have cancelled my no limits account? and whats this bt internet charge? surely the wont bill me for my bb usuage for two months?
    No. You must cancel the no limits in writing, they can't do it for you. They should have pointed this out to you when you upgraded to BB, but that's BT for you.
    >> And if they are charging me in advance surely it would be 80 euro.
    The prices on the bill are ex VAT.

Overall, you should be querying the Overdue amount, Self install charge and the BT Internet charge. Also, don't just assume you'll have no problems by taking all your money out of your account. Depending on your standing with the bank, they may overdraw your account for the direct debit, then charge you interest and penalties for this privilege. Either that or you'll dace large direct debit fail penalties. Best off contacting the bank and stopping the direct debit before they try to take the money. Tell BT you're not willing to pay until they sort out the mess they've made of your bill.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BTs "overdue amount" is carried from bill to bill so it appears top and bottom . Its some silly adjustment of the balance of your initial billing period .

Say their bill cycle is 01 Jan to 28 Feb, if your account went live on the 2nd of Feb they carry the jan bit as overdue even though its simply not due at all

You only owed them about .45 of a billing cycle and they got it anyway but cannot seem to get rid of the other .55 of that billing cycle so they carry it .

Below find attached a flatrate bill belonging to a confused friend of mine.

She has :

1. No line rental with them
    2. No calls are carried by them
    3. A flatrate 80 package only , thats it.

a) They bill and credit her an overdue amount every cycle , she owes them nothing

b) They bill and credit her for calls that they do not carry

The only two lines in that gobble that matter are

33.04 + 6.94 vat = 39.98 Flatrate every two months. Thats what she is DD'd

The rest of it should not be there at all. That 'overdue amount' should never be there at all but before she ever cancels her flatrate she, and any other BT customer, will need an email stating it is not owed but carried on their stupid billing system .

She has finally gotten an email from them stating that she does not owe that overdue amount and will never be billed for it or for that overdue amount + vat . If they ever do try its the Garda Fraud Squad for them and they have been warned .

Nevertheless they cannot do the simple thing, 0 the overdue and show 0 top and 0 bottom. What an unbelievable shower of muppets :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Surely someone in BT must realise that it should be capable of producing a bill that is clear and understandable - can it be that difficult? it is almost as if they have gone out of their way to make it difficult for people to understand how they are being overcharged. No bill should require various posts to help the poor customer interpret what exactly is going on.

Even if BT were giving the fastest bb in the world nobody on boards should be recommending them until they sort themselves out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

BT is renowned for its mind bogglingly inept billing.
    Have a gawk at this thread here and follow SpongeBob's advice and register a complaint with the Consumer Association of Ireland. i did. The only way the idiots will learn is if there is a massive highly publicised report criticising them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

:D €43 for my bill this month. That includes the 2 month advance for standard 2mb broadband and line rental LMAO!! I'm sure they'll sting me with the rest in my next bill though.

Advertisement