Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does anyone know how to get a Google "Supplemental" result removed?

• 10-03-2006 1:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Google is showing some supplemental results for a website of mine. These supplemental results are referring to page which was removed a looong time ago.

For example -

My page www.domain.com has a supplemental www.domain.com/?value=1

How do I get this non-existant supplemental pointing to www.domain.com/?value=1 removed from Google without damaging www.domain.com ?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Go to http://www.google.com/webmasters/remove.html and there is an option to request removal of a page.

I tried this before and the request was denied. To work around it, I recreated the page and automatically forwarded it to the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

DOLEMAN wrote:
    How do I get this non-existant supplemental pointing to www.domain.com/?value=1 removed from Google without damaging www.domain.com ?

You should make a 301 redirect from the page that no longer exists to the logical update of that page (or the homepage if there is none).

How to Redirect a Webpage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do you even have to do a redirect if it is just a parameter in the querystring?

It should still be going to the default homepage, but it is just sending a parameter in the URL. If this isn't actually used to do any processing, then it shouldn't make a difference at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Its probably some CMS or news script that uses the index page. Try a 301 redirect.. If it is a script, why not add in an if statement with a redirect?

So for example in php, at the top of the page put:

[PHP]

If ($_GET == "1") {

header("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently");
    header("Location: http://www.yourdomain.com/");
    exit();
    }

[/PHP]
    You could probably also do a mod rewrite if this is not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Supplemental Results generally indicate that the page "used" to be there.

Google has simply recognised that the page no longer exists. Over time the page will disappear from google.

It's always good to do a 301 to pass on the PR to another page.

Tom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

DOLEMAN -

Google has been having some serious issues with supplementals over the last week or so. They are currently updating their whole infrastructure and there are major glitches in the system at the mo. Many sites around the web have had their entires sites go supplemental over the week. Google know about this now and their are rumblings that everything is returning to normal.

Maybe you were affected by that glitch. Webmasters reported supplementals appearing for pages that never existed on their sites. I would just hang tight for 2 weeks or so and see how everything progresses. In other words don't worry :)

Advertisement