Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pill - Clarity Wanted

• 10-03-2006 2:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just looking for clarity here. My wife is on the pill - we had unprotected sex - 3 weeks later she goes out - gets rotten and gets sick everywhere - can she get pregnant from the time 3 weeks earlier if her period wasn't due for another few days?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Sperm only last a few days. If she is only sick now, but you last had sex threee weeks ago, I'm fairly sure you are OK.

If you fear her illness will interfere with the pill (it can), use additional protection for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Without knowing the specific pill your wife is on, there should be no problems with having unprotected sex three weeks before she is ill.

However, do not have unprotected sex for one week following her being ill. If this week coincides with the week off the pill, get her to run two packets back to back. For more information, read the leaflet contained in the box, or ask your GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

did she have her period last month? if so you should be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishMinx

Macers wrote:
    Hi all,

Just looking for clarity here. My wife is on the pill - we had unprotected sex - 3 weeks later she goes out - gets rotten and gets sick everywhere - can she get pregnant from the time 3 weeks earlier if her period wasn't due for another few days?

I dont get you, how can she be on the pill and you still have unprotected sex? Was it on her break or had she come off the pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

IrishMinx wrote:
    I dont get you, how can she be on the pill and you still have unprotected sex? Was it on her break or had she come off the pill?
    Yes i dont understand that either! Can you clarify that for us???
    She would only be at risk really AFTER getting sick as the pill would not be as effective

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Macers wrote:
    Hi all,

Your question isn't very clear. Are you asking if getting drunk and sick and throwing up her pill will stop it working and mean that she can get pregnent from the 3 weeks earlier.

Short answer is no.

Sperm will live inside the female for a number of days waiting for ovulation (the release of an egg), which takes place in the middle of a womans cycle. Ovulation only lasts for 48 hours, but because the sperm can be hanging around waiting, it means there is about 5-7 days (longer in some women) in the middle of the cylce that a woman can become pregnent. If the egg is not fertalised with in the 48 hours of ovulation it is released and dies.

So the pill she possibly threw up has no effect on her previous cycle. If she was going to be pregnent she would be pregnent within 2 weeks of when you last had sex. It does effect her next cycle though

If you are asking is it possible that she is already pregnent even though she was on the pill and that is why she got sick, yes but I don't think morning sickness starts until a few months into the pregnency, so I wouldn't worry if getting sick is the only thing you are going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Sperm can stay viable inside a vagaina for 72 hours.

UNprotected sex is sex with out condoms as the pill is a contraceptive but it does not protect against STIs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Thaedydal wrote:
    Sperm can stay viable inside a vagaina for 72 hours.

UNprotected sex is sex with out condoms as the pill is a contraceptive but it does not protect against STIs.

But TBH if it was his wife I'd hope that that wasn't a huge concern in this case...

If you're worried can always try alternatives like Depo Provera injection which isn't affected by throwing up or anything. You should be fine now though as long as you use condoms for a week or two as the pill's effect is weakened if you get sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

Sorry all - maybe I should of been clearer - she's been on the pill for about a year now. Got her period last month. Week later we had unprotected sex - 2 and a half to 3 weeks later she got ill.

Its just I was always under the impression that if you got sick at all she'll get pregnant...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

But what do you mean by unprotected sex????????? Surely your not afraid of getting STD's from your wife!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

He means exactly what he said, unprotected sex, ie without a condom. Some people would use condoms in conjunction with the pill, even when married.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Macers wrote:
    Its just I was always under the impression that if you got sick at all she'll get pregnant...

Not after the period (as in time period) when the pill has to work to stop ovulation and you both getting pregnent.

Getting sick can stop the pill working. But if it has already worked, and stopped you getting pregnent, this isn't going to be effected if your wife gets sick a few days later. What will be effected is the time during and after she is sick.

If the pill was going to fail it was going to fail around Day 14 of your wifes cycle (2 weeks after her last period, and 2 weeks before her next one), and if you were going to get pregnent it would be around here if you had sex.

If the pill worked around Day 14 and you didn't get pregnent, her getting sick and the pill failing around Day 24 or so of her cycle isn't going to change that. The time when she could get pregnent has passed.

What it will effect is the effiectiveness of the pill working in her next cycle. You should be worrying about having unprotected sex during this cycle, not the previous cycle.

NB - Should add I'M NOT A DOCTOR!! And this isn't a medical board .. You should take with a pinch of salt any and all medical advice given on this forum, including mine. If you or your wife is worried that she might be pregnent you should go see a doctor

Advertisement