Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So FFXII gets full marks in Famitsu review...

Options
  • 10-03-2006 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭

Can't really say i was expecting it, maybe a little lower than that, but it's quite a rare score to be given out by them :) maybe the future is bright after-all...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thats good news for the game. Wasn't impressed at all by the demo but it really didn't show much. Great score comsidering Famitsu are bigger Dragon Quest fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Full score? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Retrogamer!:)

I'll wait till I play it myself before I start shouting though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭The Free Man

ìs it out in japan this month?
    maybe is got full marks because of the story, heres hoping anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This comes out after June, right? I really don't need this distracting me from studying for the Leaving.

Slurms wrote:
    This comes out after June, right? I really don't need this distracting me from studying for the Leaving.

I don't think even a US release has been announced.

While I'd like it as soon as possible, having it after the Leaving has its advantages. Although that being said, Oblivion is out in nine days. Decisions decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

grimloch wrote:
    Full score? Stick that in your pipe and smoke it Retrogamer!:)

I'll wait till I play it myself before I start shouting though.

:D

I should never have doubted the team behind Vagrant Story. The last time i had doubts about a FF game was FFX and that turned out to be one of my favourite RPGs ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

grimloch wrote:
    I don't think even a US release has been announced.

While I'd like it as soon as possible, having it after the Leaving has its advantages. Although that being said, Oblivion is out in nine days. Decisions decisions.
    I don't have a 360 and I highly doubt my PC will run Oblivion so I'm safe for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Good news about the review. Yeah this and Oblivion, it's sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Cosine

Goodly news at last :D

The amount of disscussions flying about made me start to wonder if anyone was going to buy the game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Oh and apparently Dirge of Cerberus is absolute sh*te , now i'm not so sure on buying that when it's out over here...

Oh btw The Free Man, love the sig in pic, Ricky is the man :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada and FFXII Executive Producer Akitoshi Kawazu were on-hand at the event to greet consumers and answer questions about the release. According to Wada, over 2.3 million copies of FFXII were shipped for the launch -- more than that of the previous FF title (we presume he was referring to 2001's Final Fantasy X). He also mentioned that the US version is currently in the process of being localized, and should see release sometime around Thanksgiving in the States

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3148802

So, that'll mean Feb/Mar 07 for Europe I guess.

.....awesome :/

Here's a question - does anyone know if there's an interactive World Map this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

not out until 1/12/06 here though:(

do we get a ffXII demo with dragonquest too?

I hope so.

what was the last game they gave a perfect score? Ocarina of time?

Id say theyll do a launch with the ps3 for this one tbh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh great news about the rating. Excellent news in fact. :)

evad_lhorg wrote:

I'm just curious as to where you heard that. I'd be fairly happy to have the game by December but I recall a date like that was predicted for the US launch. This game would make some excellent Christmas playing.:D

I'd be fairly pissed off if they did that now.

why would you be pissed off. then we would get it for christmas. not as a ps3 game though. the ps3 is backward compatable remember. as is revolution for zelda.

I believe I misread you. I thought you said that it will be released as a PS3 game thus meaning I would need to buy a new console in order to play the game.

I think a PS3 Christmas release in Europe is optimistic no matter what serial fibbers Sony say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

If anybody wants to watch it, heres the opening movie to FFXII. Its in Japanese unfortunately, but its not extremely difficult to follow whats going on. Looks brilliant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4XtVj4BWBc&search=final%20fantasy%20xii

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Narcissus

evad_lhorg wrote:

do we get a ffXII demo with dragonquest too?

I hope so.

what was the last game they gave a perfect score? Ocarina of time?

Where did you hear that?

On play.com the release date is the 26th of May, which would be sweet if it was that.

LINK HERE

• Advertisement

Eurogamer's review of the japanese release: http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63936

Has some further explanation of the Gambit system. And 9/10 - not too shabby.

9/10 is good especially considering itsd the japanese version.

evad_lhorg wrote:
    9/10 is good especially considering itsd the japanese version.

Actually that brings up a very interesting point, I wonder what nice little surprises the game designers have in mind for their fans over here. Hopefully we won't get shafted like we did with X-2.

I hope if they put mega tough bosses in the games that they can be avoided unlike in the version of FFX we got. The dark aeons stopped me backtracking and exploring sections of the game and it was really annoying having them in front of a town you needed to go to for sidequests and exploration.

Yes, Dark Shiva in particular prevented me from getting Anima and the Magus Sisters which was a major pain in the hole. That was pretty poor planning on their part.

In order to get through that bit you either have to stat max and thus make a mockery of the final boss battles or use that Zanmoto attack which I for one will not use. That was a major flaw in the game.

On another note that eurogamer FFXII review is terribly written, not the quality I'd usually expect from them. It's obvious the reviewer doesn't have any degree on understanding of the japanese language and practically says so at the end of the review.

Here's another review: http://www.gamebrink.com/viewitem.php?id=432&review=178

Although the reviewer gives it 93%, he points out that the story is less engaging than other FF stories.

The first main flaw with the license system is that there is nothing unique about the characters anymore. If everyone has generally the same stats and can use the same spells/skills/equipment...

Oh wonderful, another VII situation is what I envisage.

I am also less than keen on the sub-quest thing that's described. There's no mention of rewards other than items really. It sort of reminds me of Neverwinter Nights where you were wandering around endless caves looking for someones elses bloody lost ring or something like that which got very annoying, very quickly. Granted you often got good items but the ends barely justified the means.

I like sub-quests but not if they outnumber the storyline in terms of hours and don't seem to be connected to the storyline.

Still though, 93% isn't too shoddy.

Advertisement