Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with darts...

Options
  • 10-03-2006 4:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

I have asked people who play darts and are pretty good how they got that way. The usual response was keep playing. But how do you become better. Do you practice for two three hours a day hitting all doubles or threbles. Are there training routines out there or is it just practice makes perfect...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭The Rooster

The best form of practice is playing matches against decent opposition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Its all about practice really. You have to play as much as you can. Try get a style of throw that suits you the best and then just practice. I man you can try hitting all the big numbers on the board, practice hitting treble twenties, practice your finishes and so on. And as Rooster said play as many matches as you can. Its the only way.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

In a sense it is practice makes perfect. When I played serious darts I used to practice for two or three hours a day minimum that didn't include playing singles, doubles, team or county tournaments.You should start out by making yourself competent on the single numbers-if you hit a treble great, then move on to the doubles and then the trebles, then start throwing games. You should also play games like shanghai, cricket, round the board etc.

Most importantly learn the finishes.

As Kingp35 said play as much as you can, get comfortable in your own stance and style of throw-this must be consistent every time you toe the oche.

The Rooster also gave good advice: Play against decent competition. There is absolutely no point in playing against a fellow beginner as you will not really help to improve each other. Go to your local and play against everyone and anyone that can throw.

In time if you have an aptitude for the game you will get better.

Hope that helps.

(Christ, I'm here three years and thats my longest post. I'm sticking to lurking!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

All of the above advice is really going to help you. Here are a few other things that you might want to think about.

1) Always stand in the same place.
    2) Be aware of your posture when you throw.
    3) Make sure that you are holding your darts the same way each time.
    4) Keep your eyes on the board. Do not look away after each dart whether they land in the board or on the floor. Focus on the board abobe all else.

All of the above deal with consistency. When you practice with some of these things in mind, you are going to start to get a 'feel' for the board.

One last thing that I used to do alot when I was practicing was to get another set of identical darts to the darts that I would throw on league nights. Six darts each time I was practicing really did help me improve my focus.

Advertisement