Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experimental Law Changes

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

daveirl wrote:
    This post has been deleted.

I first saw it in Glaway when Connacht under gatland beat Brives Bordeaux. It's a great party trick but not a tactic to use in every game though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Maccattack wrote:
    Yet another pathetic attempt by the Rugby Union to make that tired mess more appealing to the masses. They slag off Rugby League for a century for allowing the game to evolve and only now that they have had professionalism forced upon them - and they have to openly pay players instead of the under the table payments they used to give - is it 'ok' to make the game more appealing for the people who watch.

They should just admit they were wrong all along and adopt Rugby League rules, thats where its heading anyway.

And that's absolutely why they should dispense with use it or lose it, retyurn to the old scrummage ruck and maul laws and bring back Rugby Union the game that really conquered the world instead of that one-dimensional pile of cloth-capped crap that only ever took off among disgruntled embittered northern Englishmen who thought that everybody born south of Watford was a toffee-nosed soft southern ****e or conversley, blue-collar Irish Australians who didn't want to join up in the First World War and so turned to Rugby League when Union was disbanded for the duration.

If you want to play rugby league then bog off and play rugby league. In Sydney or in Wigan or whatever other God-forsaken disused mining ghost town full of people so narrow in their outlook they want the stunning lack of variety that is League.

Just don't bring it into nice places like Lansdowne Road, MillenniumStadium Twickenham etc etc

DEATH TO LEAGUE/JEU A TREIZE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Can you clarify the truck and trailer thing, do you mean that you cant be penalised for being the 'trailer' in the maul now, that its ok just to have a hand or an arm on the lad in front?

it was always ok to have just a hand or arm touching the guy in front of you provided he joined the maul before you did and you entered from behind him. once his bind is released though you must carry on to a new play, as the original maul has been stopped since a player in front of you has left and therefore is offside as he is infront of you.

if the truck and trailer rule was abolished then you would end up with an american football style of attack, where you get blockers the whole way down. that would be terrible, and would change completely the dynamic of the game. i agree that the game is tryin to move forward, but the forward and back role should always be an integral part of the game.
    everyone loves a good running game yet its what happens at ruck time and maul time which determines this, otherwise it woul turn into a league game, and while the running is good to look at at the start it gets so monotonous. the mauling aspect of union gives another diminsion and method of attack that league doesnt have and a rollign maul try from 25-30 meteres out, (even though im a back) can be just as excitign to watch as a well executed backs move. theres a hugh amount of skill in a rolling maul too. so this aspect should never be forgotton

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't know about anyone else but I love the fact that their is sometimes two different battles on the pitch between the opposing forwards and backs. I can never understand why forward play is considered a negative. Its not like rugby numbers are falling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Meh, a lot of people have been enticed over the past few years into watching thanks to some dazzling backs play, so I guess with that people start to forget just how exciting forward play can be to watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The Munster fans were never too bothered by the lack of this play :)

Advertisement