Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Teak door varnish or oil ?

Options
  • 10-03-2006 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

I've been advised to "Oil" my external Teak doors, is this better than varnish ? I'm pretty exposed to the weather and thought the "Ronseal, does exactly wot it sez on the Tin" :D (cue taken in by advertising commentary :D ) might be better, if not, what oil do I need and any ideas where I can get it ? (local DIY shop is V.poor when it comes to out of the ordinary stuff)...

Cheers.

Fatboy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I used Yacht varnish on my teak door. Then again, I'm near the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I use Ronseal wood stain on my teak door every 2-3 yrs. Never thought about varnishing over it though. Just stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Fatboypee

If you use oil you can expect to have to re-oil it at least once a year. Plus the oil provides no protection again the gentle knocks a door can get.

I used Cellulous on a project recent and it was very impressive, though I'm sure about it suitability for a front door.

Lex

A stain is normally used ahead of a finish coat such as varnish, french/button polish, etc to colour or raise the grain in wood. Are you sure there was nothing else in it as on its own it wouldn't provide much protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭lescol

Teak oil is more or less very dilute varnish so will provide the door with a very thin coat of varnish that doesn't "dry". Protection from the elements will be slightly better than no coating. Yacht varnish is tough but paint it on properly, some people try to apply great thick coatings which results in running and looks terrible. Yacht varnish is also fairly neutral in colour, staining the wood is the same as painting it a different colour so if you like the colour do not stain.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Make sure you get a yacht varnish that has uv protection in it.I had a front teak door once and all I did was give it 4-5 thin coats of yacht varnish and then one coat every year I lived there.It will go slightly darker over a time but its a nice mellow process.

I personally wouldnt stain a door like this or use tung/danish oil.The varnish alone will darken it a little.Before you varnish the whole of the door why not do a tester on the edge to see what the result is.I bet you will be happy.

As for tung oil or danish oil,they need regular top ups.You apply it with a cloth or a brush,mind though to cover ground as it will drip

Oh and remember to sand in between coats with a light grade wet and dry sandpaper (P120-P180) and dont do the door if its frosty or varnish could go white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lex

A stain is normally used ahead of a finish coat such as varnish, french/button polish, etc to colour or raise the grain in wood. Are you sure there was nothing else in it as on its own it wouldn't provide much protection.
    Martin, just off the shelf Ronseal 5yr wood stain......not sure it was specific for external wood. It has been protecting the windows & doors fine for the last 10yrs with a light sand down & 2 fresh coats every 2-3yrs. Long may it continue....

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

Martin, just off the shelf Ronseal 5yr wood stain......not sure it was specific for external wood. It has been protecting the windows & doors fine for the last 10yrs with a light sand down & 2 fresh coats every 2-3yrs. Long may it continue....

Goog enough so

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Have'nt had a chance to reply till now.

Thanks guys for all replies. Looks like the yacht varnish is the way to go :) , just left the house, blowing an effing gale and 'issing down and the doors look very beaten up :eek: best get my act together quickly.....

Cheers.

Fatboy.

Advertisement