Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipped Wooden Window Frames - New build

Options
  • 10-03-2006 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Just had a snag list completed on a new build in an estate. Amongst other things many of the window frames are chipped inside and out. The builder used Munster Joinery (so I had no choice in the matter :( and the windows are Nordic Pine.

Can someone here help me with the following:

1) What are the repair options?
    2) Apart from asthetic concerns how much of a problem is this?
    3) How much can I demand the builder sort them out and can they push back the cost to MJ?

I'm looking at the house myself this w/e so will see first hand but the enginerr wasn't impressed.

I've scoured the web but got nothing really useful.

Many thanks,

M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

Morkin wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Just had a snag list completed on a new build in an estate. Amongst other things many of the window frames are chipped inside and out. The builder used Munster Joinery (so I had no choice in the matter :( and the windows are Nordic Pine.

3) How much can I demand the builder sort them out and can they push back the cost to MJ?

I'm looking at the house myself this w/e so will see first hand but the enginerr wasn't impressed.

Many thanks,

M.

I have heard in the past that in cases like this depending on the damage you can request that new windows are installed. The engineer that performed the snaglist should be able to advise. I would expect that the builder won't be happy but stand your ground.

Hope it works out for you:) :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Morkin wrote:
    Hi Folks,

Many thanks,

M.

With the purchase of a new house, the least you can expect is new looking windows, after all thats what you are paying for.

Presumably they were damaged either before , during or after installation. A couple of pics would be helpful to identify the cause. Internal and external damage could either be due to installation or plastering damage.

Repairs could well be carried out, but you have not paid for damaged repairable windows. So start shouting. You demand that the builder sorts it out. Whether its MJ fault or the builder, its not your concern. You have clearly not received what you contracted for.

Dont take this lying down, you should n't have to.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

Cheers Guys,

I had a look at the place myself at the w/e. To my eye the chips didn't look too bad, mostly like you'de scraped the varnish/paint off with a screwdriver or tough fingernail - and I didn't take any pics of them :(

I did see a tin of Sikkens Cetol 7 on a window sill and that looks like it's being used to touch up the frames so maybe they've covered over so chips already.

However the finish on the windows looked v. sloppy. The sealing strip between the class and frame is not completely flush on all the windows and in some cases was placed on over some mortar splashes. Looks to me like it should be removed, the window cleaned and a new strip placed on. I presume I can push for this? I checked other houses as well and they are pretty mcuh the same.

It's all be tagged and I'll ask my engineer after they've been seen to. Hopefully replacement shouldn't be an issue though some scraped panes need to be replaced.

On a different note, I requested and paid for larger (than the standard 800mm) quadrant shower trays and enclosures (I asked for 900mm minimum) but whats been installed are only ~850mm from edge to edge and 800mm for the actual recessed/bowl bit so I hit my elbos when in the shower. I presume that these are just the standard 800mm trays (i.e. I didn't get what I asked/paid for) then as all I've seen in terms of listed sizes is 800mm, 900mm and 1000mm etc.

Thanks,

M.

Advertisement