Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Post your fuel consumption here

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

'00 Alfa 156 1.6 litre, about 28MPG (city & motorway driving).

Anyone know any sites that lists independent MPG figures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

I drove 200 miles (down to Wexford and back) today and got an average of 43.5mpg (Renault Megane 1.6 auto).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Shanerie wrote:
    02 Alfa 147 1.6 = averages 36.5mpg

Same car, 35.3mpg.

You must drive like a granny :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

eoin_s wrote:
    '00 Alfa 156 1.6 litre, about 28MPG (city & motorway driving).

Anyone know any sites that lists independent MPG figures?

Most of the motoring mags have figures as does the parkers website. They tend to a be a tad unrealistic.

Anan1 wrote:
    After a run, smartypants;)

Thats not applicable to everyday driving though. IMO thats not a useful measurement.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think what Mothman was saying was that, because he does long runs, his engine is always at normal operating temperature, and that he therefore gets better MPG than someone who only uses their car to go two miles to work & then home in the evening. Conversely, something like a courier van might get started dozens of times a day, but generally with a hot engine as it's only being switched off for a couple of minutes at a time.

Anan1 wrote:
    I think what Mothman was saying was that, because he does long runs, his engine is always at normal operating temperature, and that he therefore gets better MPG than someone who only uses their car to go two miles to work & then home in the evening. Conversely, something like a courier van might get started dozens of times a day, but generally with a hot engine as it's only being switched off for a couple of minutes at a time.

I'd say the high average speed on such long journeys (200-400 round trip) is the major factor there. Not the fact you have a cold engine for 2 or 3 mins. How long does it take a modern engine to get to optimal operating temp?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

American gas-guzzler here:

Chevy Camaro hardtop, 3.8L V6, 200hp. 28-29mpg. About 15USG, excess of 400 miles on one tank of 87 octane (regular).

Audi S4 Softtop. 4.2L, V8, 340hp. 20-21mpg. About 16USG, comes in a little shy of 300 miles per fill-up. Runs 91 octane though, a little pricier per gallon.

Curiously, around here, hybrids such as the Prius are not actually cheaper. As they are in high demand, they are sold for a mark-up. Compare, say, a hybrid Civic to a regular one, and you have to drive in excess of 25,000 miles a year for the average person to be better off with the hybrid. Though diesels get decent mileage, they are not available for sale around these parts, they don't pass the emissions test.

NTM

Personally I just find it a pain to have to stop an fill up more often, even if the cost difference in fuel isn't that much. However I'm not going to pay a price premium for a diesel motor, especially if its a noisy one. You kinda have to do you sums and see if the mileage you are doing warrants the difference in cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 loveducati

I have a citroen c3 1.4 hdi diesel, bought it new sept 02, 86mpg at 60 mph, on the whole it averages 73mpg, in tests in uk it did 110+ mpg on 50 - 55mph gov test.

it has a digital speedo (km or mph) so it does 1200km for a full tank on weekly commute (mullingar lucan) , and if i lived in dub it would do about 800-900km per tank

tank costs about €44 now, was €30 2 years ago

• Advertisement

Official figures are (urban) 53.3mpg / (extra urban) 76.3mpg / (combined) 65.7mpg. So you're doing well to beat those. I've noted on other forums of French diesels, especially the larger peugeots they seem to do amazing MPG.

Advertisement