Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you discovered things anew?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Scraggs wrote:
    Westlife rock...

well ok not exactly rock... but they sing nice songs!!
    Oh good God...

I was still toying with the idea - nay, the hope - that you were being sarcastic about liking them. *Shudder*

Ah well.
    As Joe E. Brown said to Jack Lemmon at the end of Some Like It Hot; "Nobody's perfect"

/shakes head mournfully

Westlife?

REALLY?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Seriously, no malice was intended. It was just a gentle ribbing.

Well the "gentle ribbing" between the pair of you has caused enough crap on this forum and I'm not having anymore of it.

I consider myself to be pretty leniant on this forum and I have let you slide on a lot of things, particularly during the elections. (*edit*Threatening to crash the beers to confront a poster ring any bells?)

So how about you keep your "gentle ribbing" to yourself in future because my patience for you has well and truly run out.

Now, lets get back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I've been stuck into Tool's Lateralus for a good while now. Bloody sophistocated work, it is. Feckin Fibonacci.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Currently listening to some Johnny Cash that I havent heard in a while... I adore him.

[I'd just like to add... I'm not a hardcore westlife fan or anything btw! I just like poptastic tunes...]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Waltons wrote:
    I've been stuck into Tool's Lateralus for a good while now. Bloody sophistocated work, it is. Feckin Fibonacci.
    Tool are absolutely fantastic, and Lateralus is amazing :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

SebtheBum wrote:
    We played all kinds of cr*p on Belfield FM...

Belfield FM is bad, but Shannonside Northern Sound is uber-s***ty. Anybody living in the Midlands or Border Counties will know what I'm talking about. This radio station is for die-hard country'n'western aficionados in the forty-plus age bracket. All the presenters have faux-Tenessee accents. Brutal stuff. I grew up with my Grandad listening to this tripe, hence my aversion to all things 'country'.

There was a culture of dissent in the early nineties and mid nineties, at the zenith of rave culture, where loads of pirate stations popped up around Dublin. Them were the days. A former SU President would know more about it than I, considering he was a DJ on one of these illegal stations.

Everythin' by Billy Bragg... The man is a fcuking legend, can't believe I never discovered him before tbh... Respect to boneless for properly introducin me to his stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 VenusInFurs

A couple of years ago, Bragg did a cover album of Woody Guthrie's stuff called 'Mermaid Avenue'. I'm not into my folk but this certainly impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Binatone Spectrum, Pacman, Commodore
    ZX-81, donkey kong, ****ing high score
    Push it to the limit, couldn't push it any more
    Wanna be a ****ing robot after smoking loads of draw

Bought a speak and spell, stuck it to my chest
    And wraps some ****ing TIN FOIL to my head and to my vest
    Walking down the stret, my next door neighbours not impressed
    I'm a robot and buying ten fags is my quest

Eggsie's gone too far, he thinks he's robocop
    He's covered in tinfoil and he's got matching metal socks
    We tried to sedate him but he ****ing escaped
    The man robot myth starts to escalate

He tries to sell himself standing in curries
    But if the police turn up, he runs in a ****ing hurry
    He tries to plug himself in the mains with his nob
    And when he's fully recharged he goes out on the rob

Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Being a robot in my digital domain
    Enter my world, feel my pain
    I'm not like other people you might see or you might know
    I made love to a BBC micro
    Touching on the disk drive, the monitor got hot
    I knew from then, I was a mother****ing robot
    Bill Gates from Microsoft, Stephen Hawking's voice
    And ****ing Lara Croft

I built a lab, secret in my loft
    And built a special costume that would help me to jack off
    I sat there in front of the screen
    For many years, this had been my wet dream
    Now I've reched it, I'm finally there
    Like terminator being filmed in Aberdare
    So alone, when people stop and stare
    Like C3PO but with pubes and hair

Robot Love
    Robot
    Robotic Breakdancing
    Robot

The doctors found a nut
    They said he was an headcase
    'cos he sticks silver and cans on his face

Sucking off antennas and trying to **** the fridge
    And burnt his pubic wig, with the high voltage

I am a robot
    My prime directive is to's go to's the shops
    And buy's ten fags
    Do's you's compute?

He wants to buy ten fags, his destination is the shops
    A tinfoil suit and a hat like Robocop
    If your ask him then he'll do a bodypop
    Like terminator, yeah he just won't stop

Put electical cable down through the eye of his cock
    Plugged it in the wall and gave himself a big shock
    The reason that he did it wasn't to give himself pain
    Watching Terminator over again and again

**** man, get him, ****ing restrain him man
    get him ****ing, ****ing get him down man
    inject him man, get him down
    He's ****ing nuts spa and he's losing it
    Help me man, just get him ****ing....

Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Half man, half machine
    What does it mean?
    What does it mean?

Tool are absolutely fantastic, and Lateralus is amazing :)

I know! I had only really listened through it before, but listening as a musician and applying all my amaz0r skills (¬_¬) to it helped me realise just how complex an album it is. Then all of the mathematical significance as well, of course.
    Can't wait for the new album!!

Been drumming away to Undertow for a while too :D

• Advertisement

Springsteen's Born to Run album. (What with last year being the 30th anniversary....still listening) The man is a legend as far as I'm concerned. Just read his interview with Nick Hornby (I bet he creamed his pants, the man is a HUGE fan of The Boss) Pure quality.

Also recently rediscovered my love for Incubus, Ella Fitzgerald and The Police.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

((edited out the Belfield FM-slaying!)) but Shannonside Northern Sound is uber-s***ty. Anybody living in the Midlands or Border Counties will know what I'm talking about. This radio station is for die-hard country'n'western aficionados in the forty-plus age bracket. All the presenters have faux-Tenessee accents. Brutal stuff. I grew up with my Grandad listening to this tripe, hence my aversion to all things 'country'.
    Snap, VIF, but for Shannonside read LMFM. Possibly the foremost reason that I very much disassociate myself with any non-GAA-or-Slane connections to Meath!

Snap, VIF, but for Shannonside read LMFM. Possibly the foremost reason that I very much disassociate myself with any non-GAA-or-Slane connections to Meath!

You can't diss Radio Romance with Michael Gerrard on LMFM!

I looooved that at night when I was in school. Had my top three played so many times!

Also recently rediscovered my love for Incubus

Incubus! I love Incubus! :D I like all the new stuff too, but I still have a soft spot for S.C.I.E.N.C.E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Having gone to St Finian's in Mullingar and therefore being of the Adrian Kennedy nighttime-listening variety, Michael's dulcet tones were a bit of a rarity. You do know that he's not doing the night-time slot any more?

Anyway, Michael Gerard for five hours a night was one thing. Listening to Dermot flipping Finglas for the other 19 hours playing his Country & Irish muck is quite another.

Waltons wrote:
    Incubus! I love Incubus! :D I like all the new stuff too, but I still have a soft spot for S.C.I.E.N.C.E

Yea S.C.I.E.N.C.E. is class. It never gets old. I really liked A Crow Left of the Murder too, it was such a cool change for them. His voice is amazing too.
    I also discovered a live version of Brandon singing with No Doubt, doing a cover version of Message in a Bottle by The Police. Quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

lovin the jose gonsalez album, the music from the sony bravia add, well worth a listen

Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill.

First album I ever bought, still sounds as great as ever...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

her greatest hits are good too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

SebtheBum wrote:
    Alanis Morissette, Jagged Little Pill.

First album I ever bought, still sounds as great as ever...
    Lol, I remember getting that for my birthday about 10 years ago.. tis still pretty good :) Anything she did after that (apart from her little cameo as God in Dogma) is absolute sh1te though.

Another album I've just rediscovered? Metallica - S&M :) Great stuff!

• Advertisement

Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Johnny Cash -- American 3 Solitary Man, in particular I Won't Back Down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

When I said country I meant good country-like Johnny cash,Dolly Parton 'Jolene',Willie Nelson that sort of Jazz.I didnt mean your pseudo-Irish country like Declan Nerney and Philomena Begley!!My mum is from Longford so I think maybe the country thang is just in my genes.It is a good soundtrack to study too though.

Alains Moiressette was one of my first albums ever too!Young at heart by the bluebells and Put em under pressure that Italia 90 song were my first singles...maybe I shouldnt be admitting these things in public.....:o

Oh and peachy-dont worry,me and venusinfurs are totally over the su elections now,so much so that we are even meeting for a coffee next week-dont worry I wont be throwing the scalding hot liquid AT him even though I may be tempted:D

I like the music on Belfield fm-they played rocky theme tune once-cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Welcome to "The Grand Old Oprey" Live on Tipperary Midwest Radio... I feel the pain. Don't get me started on my old busdriver who, on the hour-long bus journey to school, played Galtee FM so loudly we couldn't hear. Philomena Begley was a rare treat. And shure, didn't Louise Morrissey come from Bansha, therefore she had to be played at least once every 10 minutes.:rolleyes:

That said, I was talking to someone about music the other day and as he listed off everything on his laptop I found myself cringing in agreement with some things...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I had county sound with it's weekly religious programming on a sunday evening, which, for some obscure reason (probably because I got nabbed by Sr Nuala) I ended up appearing on. Very Dodgy........

The joys of north cork people, you're all missing out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Larien

I finally got my hands on a copy of Greenday's first album: Kerplunk. It's classic. It made me remember just how much I love them...not that I'd really forgotten. I've also rediscovered Alanis Morrissette because I did a review of her greatest hits for O2 and got the album free. I love college newspapers! Also...I'm listening to a lot of Ryan Adams...he's great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I had county sound with it's weekly religious programming on a sunday evening, which, for some obscure reason (probably because I got nabbed by Sr Nuala) I ended up appearing on. Very Dodgy........

The joys of north cork people, you're all missing out...

You aint heard nuffin till you listen to west Limerick 102fm!!There special exclusive interview this week.....wait foir it......is Fr O'Conner-the local parish priest!And here I thought it might be Kanye West........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Modern Life is Rubbish by Blur :D

Finally there is at least one other person on this planet who realizes how fucking great and important that album is!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

I gotta say that Tool have some of the best music/lyric combo's and im a fairly big fan (that said i know nothing about the maths behind whatever :p ) of their music.

Anyone ever listen to Grey Daze or Liquid Tension Experiment? Both very good imo and not as widely known as i'd have expected.

• Advertisement

Larien wrote:
    I finally got my hands on a copy of Greenday's first album: Kerplunk. It's classic.
    Seconded. There's another album, Smoothed Out Slappy Hours, which has a load of their old stuff remastered... I know you know that album, cos Disappearing Boy is from that (man I love that song), but I say that just for other ppl's benefit!

Advertisement