Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weightloss (Lipotrim)

Options
  • 10-03-2006 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I don't know if this fits in here or somewhere else (I did not think the Fitness forum was the right place for it, but if wrong Mod please feel free to move).

I am a big guy. I mean a BEEEEEG guy. I am over 21st when I should be around 15st. Now weight has always been a problem for me (was a fat kid as well). Have been in the gym since I was 11, but there has been no noticeable benefit weightwise. Since living in Ireland (six years now) I have given into the couch potato lifestyle, hence the huge increase in my weight.

Now, I have a few friends who have also struggled with their weight who went on the Lipotrim diet and very successfully slimmed down to their ideal/desired weight. I did go on this programme last year and had great success with it, until I fell off the wagon during a stressful period at work (excuses, excuses...) and put back on much of the weight that I had lost.

Given this is 2006, and I am in a situation now where climbing a flight of stairs leaves me winded, I have committed to going back on to the Lipotrim programme and also undertaken to introduce more physical activity into my life.

I am interested to know if any forum users here are or have been on the Lipotrim programme - if yes, are you interested in comparing notes? Also, if anyone has suggestions on how to introduce physical activity into a daily routine (starting I know with at least a half hour brisk walking a day) - and especially how to keep it varied and interesting, I would be very grateful to hear from you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

RobEire wrote:
    I did go on this programme last year and had great success with it, until I fell off the wagon during a stressful period at work (excuses, excuses...) and put back on much of the weight that I had lost.

Didn't you learn anything from this?

Lipotrim isn't something you can stay on for the rest of your life, so even if you hadn't "fallen of the wagon" last time, you still would've had to end it at some stage.

Either one of these would've lead to the same result (the result that you experienced:- as soon as you stopped lipotrim you piled on all the weight again.

Go back to the gym.
    You're certainly not going to get healthier by being a couch potato!
    & if,l like you said you did the gym since you were 11 with no noticeable benefits, then obviously you're eating too much.

Cut down on the amt of food you eat & the amt of rubbish which you consume as food.

Lipotrim is the lazy persons way to weightloss. If you're not motivated enough to work hard at losing weight (i.e. use Lipotrim) you won't be motivated enough to keep it of (i.e. you won't have made any lifestyle changes & so will easily fall back into your old ways)

My advice, forget lipotrim, get active & change your diet.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 24,253 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Take a look at the fitness board. There's a thread about Lipotrim there and, more importantly a lot of great advice about diet and exercise. I've lost over 2 inches from my waist (34.5" -> 32") and gained quite a bit of muscle definition from following the advice I've gleaned there since mid-january so I can't recommend the forum enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye a diet only works as long as you are on it, so when you fall of it can generally leave you a bit worse off then you started on it. Diet wise though i am not going to advise as there is pages and pages of advise on the fitness forum for ou to read.

However in relation to getting fit, your ultimate goal should be to get back to the gym as that will help you to lose but also keep the weight off and keep you in good shape. what is your current daily routine do you have any exercise at all. Yes walking is one of the best things to help you get back in shape cause it is the easiet thing you can do, but take it easy if even going up stairs is leaving you winded.

Things to try would be if you get a bus try and walk an extra stop or 2 before you get on or off the bus. If you live alone in a house with stairs walk up and down them for 5/10 minutes. Just do some small things first jsut to ease back in to exercising and after 2 weeks start actually going for walks and then try and introduce other things like going back to the gym, swimming and any other activites so you won't get bored of going to the gym. Once again the fitness forum has many things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

RobEire wrote:
    Have been in the gym since I was 11, but there has been no noticeable benefit weightwise. Since living in Ireland (six years now) I have given into the couch potato lifestyle, hence the huge increase in my weight.

sorry forgot to mention, you where in the gym since you where 11 but didn't see any results, you stopped going and then you put on loads of weight.

hmmmmmmmm, let me think about this a bit, maybe the gym wasn't doing what you thought it would do but it was stopping you from doing what you did which was gain weight. So the gym will work if nothing else to keep you in shape and keep you from putting on weight

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

I just replied to another thread relating to thi topic this morning,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054900746

Consult your GP and/or Pharmacist about this. As stated, it is not a system to be abused and not something to take for granted.

Good luck with it, if you undertake the task.

Jokah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Jokah

I just replied to another thread relating to this topic this morning,

Consult your GP and/or Pharmacist about this. As stated, it is not a system to be abused and not something to take for granted.

Jokah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭RobEire

Jokah wrote:
    I just replied to another thread relating to this topic this morning,

Jokah

Thanks.

The reason I went off it last year, as stated, was due to conditions at work - now this is not some idle statement - things were bad, people stressed to the point of physical illness, emotional breakdowns, etc. Was a bad time overall and I found the pressure of the diet on top of all of that was too much. I have been off the programme for a good six months but now that the dust has settled and the finances post Christmas recovered, I want to get going on this and see it through - including the refeeding bit.

Yes, exercise forms part of my plan - I dislike the gym but love swimming, so want to combine this with the walking and I guess, eventually I will have to go back to the gym for weight training - I do know this is one of the more effective ways of staying in shape, and burning calories.

I have also, on the recommendation of a relative, started working through 'The Ultimate Weight Solution' by Dr. Phil - this book helps you get to the core of your bad habits - why you overeat, eat the wrong things, etc. If it can help reshape my attitudes and stress triggers, it is a good thing. It will hopefully form part of the longer term solution to my weight problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bandongirl

Hi,
    I started the Lipotrim last monday-its my third day today and im doing ok,thank god.The only thing is Iv noticed my tongue is BLACK?!Now I am a smoker, and before I started this diet I had a yellow coating on my tongue and I put this down to Black tea and ciggerettes...is there any member here on Lipotrim that is a smoker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Diets don't work, and IMO relying on drugs is messed up.

Why not just make a lifestyle change? Less food, more exercise. Over time it'll become normal. Extreme solutions never work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Nutrition and Diet.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just a note of lipotrim background - it's not a drug, it's a 'total food replacement' programme, so you eat precisely nothing at all, and drink two to three vitaminsed milkshakes a day. Your body goes into famine mode and switches to using your fat store for energy, but to a degree it will also deplete your muscle mass.

The programme was originally introduced as a quick fix to reduce BMI for morbidly obese people who needed surgery. It was subsequently started through a doctor's referral and continued under the supervision of a medical team.

These days it's sold in the pharmacy, and usually the pharmacist just wants the money, so they'll allow someone with a BMI of anything over 25 to do lipotrim.

It was never designed as a long-term weight loss solution, because, as the OP has already stated, as soon as you come off it and return to your binge eating habits, the weight will pile back on again.

You need to address your personal body image, your sense of self esteem, the reasons for your overeating and the underlying problems behind your lack of enthusiasm for physical exercise. Otherwise you'll just drink milkshakes for a couple of months and then eat crap until you're at square one again.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭MajorMax

I was on the Lipotrim plan last year, I was 33 stone and couldn't walk 100 feet without stopping for a rest and I had a 58 inch waist, I was on the plan for exactly 9 months and I am down to 14.5 stone and a 36 inch waist.

This plan is only for people who are experiencing or starting to experience weight related health issues, if you only need to get rid of less than 50-75 pounds then get yourself to a gym and stop stuffing your face, this is a drastic solution to a drastic problem it isn't an easy solution to your problem, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

GO TO A GYM. stop looking for a miracle cure

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

From the charter
    4. There will be zero-tolerance of any pro-ana type topics or crash dieting. If you want to discuss your cabbage and rubber band diet that's alright but don't expect much support (or success for that matter). This forum is to promote healthy and varied eating - not to advise you in how to drop a stone in a week.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055153853

In my mind lipotrim is even worse than magazine gimmick diets. They dress it up to look "pharmaceutical", the makers are very sly by restriciting its sales to pharmacies- giving the illusion that it is something special, and must be OK if a pharmacist sells it. There is no reason it cannot be sold in a supermarket. Also you can pick up the base ingredients for next to nothing, they are so cheap since the portions are minute, not fit for a small child. They make no distinction in calorie intake on the diet, so a 60stone woman gets the same daily calorie intake as a 12stone woman looking to fit into a size 12 dress.

If the side effects of your weight is worse than the side effects of lipotrim then it is worth considering, but I expect that is not the case for 95%+ of lipotrim (ab)users

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement