Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many?

Options
  • 10-03-2006 3:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

Just out of interest how many monthly publications (i.e not TPB's) do people buy a week?
    I ask cause I decided to put a few titles down recently cause I just didn't want to spend x amount a week.

EDIT: Sorry I should have started by answering my own quetion. I think on average I was getting 5 to 6 titles a week

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

about the same 5/6 a week

EDIT: I should point out that i usually only buy comics once/twice a month, so I wind up getting 20 or so at a pop :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I'm a bit different - a couple of months could go by without me buying any comics but then I would spend a shed load on them. The idea of paying a fiver for a comic when I could get 10 older ones for the same price is what keeps me out of the comic shops and glued to the comic bying sites. Either way, old or newly published, the stories are new to me.

The idea of paying a fiver for a comic when I could get 10 older ones for the same price is what keeps me out of the comic shops and glued to the comic bying sites.

Yeah I got into that recently with www.midtowncomics.com but the postage costs for quick delivery kind of take a huge chunk out of the savings form buying online. Think I might try it again ina few weeks, but make a bigger order, that said, last time I did, (end of January), I order over €100 worth of stuff, (29 comics, 1 graphic novel), it still cost $29.05 for shipping, and they only arrived Monday just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I use www.mycomicshop.com myself - have found it to be great although midtown is always getting great reviews from anyone I've seen mentioning it.

I managed to spend over a grand on a single order but having said that, I didn't buy a single comic after that for a 9 or 10 months.

I'm working on another order at the moment - everytime I am online I add a few more items into my shopping cart and the price just keeps climbing up. It won't end up anywhere near the big one but it should keep me going.;)

Think I'll check out that site, see if there's any more savings to be had on postage :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I tend to pop into Other Realms every week, but I prefer to buy trades than single issues. Depending on what's current I can go weeks without buying a single issue comic or come home with 8 or 9 issues.

Once Seven Soldiers finishes up, I'll probably be cutting my single-issue purchases right back to a couple of ongoing series (Fell, Desolation Jones) and whatever miniseries are on at the time (Atomika, Bonerest : A World's End and a few others).

I find other Realms to be notoriously bad at either keeping the right comics, or getting enough of them in. Often I'll walk in looking for a particular comic, and they're sold out. And this is usually within a few hours or a day of it being released, while at the same time they'll have dozens of copies of "Ultimate Spider-man" or whatever going back for the last 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I like Ultimate Spider-man, but I'd be much happier to see fewer copies of that if it meant more copies of other books that I want.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know that I should just get a box and keep advance orders on anything I definitely want, but then again given the delays on a lot of series that I might buy (Matador being an example - damn near a year between issue 5 and 6 coming out, I think) and the fact that the first thing I tried to order from them hasn't been ordered yet because "they have to wait until they have enough numbers to actually order it from the supplier", I'm a bit hazy about giving them money for stuff upfront, especially for things I'm not really sure about buying anyway. Then again, that's comics with a Direct Market I guess - about the only thing they can reliably sell is the monthly superhero books to the raging superhero fans...

Yeah, major main in the ass, but I have a good friend who has a box with them, and they're forever screwing up his titles.

Advertisement