Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greystones gets defibrillator - Shocking News

Options
  • 10-03-2006 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just to let you know that Greystones Tennis Club as just had installed a defibrillator. One of those machines to start your heart beating again.

There are plans for more units and a responder group also in the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Plenty

I'm actually a First Responder. We are not "Live" yet as a decision has to be made on a defibrilator. So will leave that to the organisers and the Ambulence service to trash out!

It's great to find out that these kind of machines more widely available in public places. :D

There are two other places (I know of) that have defibs, Dundrum Town Centre and Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Thats good news. I find it surprising that defibrillators are not everywhere already, hopefully this should get the ball rolling.

It is good news but each defibrillator is €1600....not cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can buy them on Amazon!
    http://snipurl.com/niw7

It looks good and as I mentioned before, it is up to the Ambulance service and the First Responders Co-ordinators to make the final decision.

The only problem I have with Amazon.com is if there is a problem with anything, you must return it within 30 days for a refund. With these kind of machines, they need servicing and/or battery replacements. If the machine is not up to standard, the likelyhood of you getting a refund from Amazon.com in the US, is very slim!! This is from personal experience, others may not have this problem. Amazon.co.uk, I cannot fault them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭defib

This is the one the tennis club got:
    http://www.aed.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭sportbilly

There's one in the Golf Club too.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

Jeez,
    I could do with one in the mornings to get me out of bed.

Seriously though. great news...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Jeez,
    I could do with one in the mornings to get me out of bed.

Hehe good idea

Anyone know what unit or when the Greystones First Responders are using?

• Advertisement

A decision hasn't been made yet. The ambulence service have to get back to us (us being the First Responders):)

The First Responders have bought two defibrillators (one for Greystones North and the other for Greystones South). The problems regarding the call centre in Townsend Street has now been resolved and we will be going live within the next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Who or what are First Responders? Are they like Order of Malta/John's Ambulance?

Who or what are First Responders? Are they like Order of Malta/John's Ambulance?

First Responders are people like you and me. They go to work and do their every day thing. A side from that, they also work voluntarily with the ambulance service. If someone is choking or having a heart attack, it will take an ambulance dispatched from the call centre in Townsend street roughly 20 mins to get to Greystones. What the First Responder will do is get a call from the Ambulance call centre and tell them if someone is choking or unresponsive and leg it to the scene. This will take roughly 5 mins for the first responder to get there and apply oxygen and /or CPR and use the defib. This will greatly increase the patients chances of a recovery. When the ambulance guys arrive, we hand the situation over to them and take the patient to hospital.

We are nothing to do with The Order of Malta or St Johns Ambulance. First Responders work directly with the Ambulance service. It is not just about first aid, first responders are only called for choking, chest pains and heart attacks for all ages. Doing CPR on babies or anyone for that matter is very frightening but worthwhile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭dubgirl

well done plenty - its great to know there are people like you nearby:o

Ah! Thanks dubgirl!

Volunteers are always welcome. If you need any more information you an PM me. Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Plenty wrote:
    Ah! Thanks dubgirl!

Volunteers are always welcome. If you need any more information you an PM me. Thanks again
    PM sent

I don’t mean to be a damp squid but I was told that the Greystones group got two Heatsine Samaritan defibrillators.

Did the group know that these defibrillator units are been discontinued from production at the end of the month?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Im a Volunteer with the Order of Malta soon to do my First Responder course with them i would be interested in the Community First Responder Scheme but i wouldnt be much help without a car i suppose :(

Im a Volunteer with the Order of Malta soon to do my First Responder course with them i would be interested in the Community First Responder Scheme but i wouldnt be much help without a car i suppose :(

You do need a car to be a responder.

What area are you living in?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Im in North kilcoole

As a FYI, the Community First Responder group is Live as at Monday June 26th 2006.

If you know of anyone (young or old) who has chest pains leading to a heart attack and choking, call for the ambulance and the First Respnder will arrive before the ambulance. The First Responder will only call regarding the above mentioned conditions, we are not a First Aid service (although most of the group will have this skill). :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mega7

We have a defibrillator too in our rugby club. Seems Greystones are well covered. Think we got ours from www.heartsafesolutions.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mega7

We just got more training, it seems these things are everywhere now.
    This is actually the machine we got: http://www.hearts.ie/defribillator.html
    http://www.hearts.ie/defribillator.html

That is brilliant Mega7. We use Defibtech in the First Responders and so do the Kilcoole group.

It's a comfort to know that more and more people know CPR and know how to use a defbrillator.

Advertisement