Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make sure I'm up to date! Help!

Options
  • 10-03-2006 3:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm getting scared that I'm falling behind in my classes :(

So I'm gonna post my modules and you folks, if you do any of them, could tell me if I'm up to date, or if there's something I'm missing. And we could all do the same, really!

So I'm in first year BA Computer Science...

Introduction to Programming II - No assignments for this... I've done most of my practicals, so not too worried about that.

Software Engineering Project - I still have a week to do 'From BON to Java' and 'Analysis of Core Concepts of Cells' (both late). I'll read up a bit on C.A. over the break, and hopefully have a clue about it before I come back. Most people seem to be struggling to get assignments done in this, so I'm not too worried. I understand most of the points he posted, and I'm quite good at Unix cos I've been messing around with my laptop :p

Ireland: Union & Disunion - I did an essay on Daniel O Connell, it was absolute tripe and I'll probably fail it :( Anyone know how much it was worth? Well from what I hear, there is another essay to be done for this course, on either Unionism, or the Land Question -- can someone fill me in on the titles?

Perception and Cognition - No assignments on this as far as I know... I'll do a bit of study on it over the break. Not too worried about it because I'll be able to study it before the exams.

History of Psychology - Again, no assignments AFAIK, and not too worried about it cos I'll be able to study it, and memorising someone's biography isn't too bad. Not too happy about the Understanding Research bit (that I didn't know about when I picked the course), but I'll figure it out.

Introduction to Ethics - SCARED SH!TLESS ABOUT THIS!!! I am lost in this. I'll have to read Plato over the break, and maybe that'll help me, but I'm not following this course really. If the exam asks us to tell them about the main opinions of certain characters, then I should be able to manage that, but for the rest of it, it just sounds like blahblahblahblahblah -- I hope it's a case of there being no wrong answer, cos it feels like they speak for an hour, and no words come out of their mouths. I'm gonna have to learn to bullsh!t better. But anyway, I believe there's an essay to be done over the break for this. At least I have a good bit of time to get it done! But I don't know the title either. I emailed the lecturer, she told me to email this other woman, which I did, and she told me to check the noticeboard, which I'm gonna do in a few minutes. If anyone knows the title, they could post it here too in case I don't find it.

EDIT: Ahh, got the titles for this :)

I haven't been going to enough tutorials, and I've learned my lesson! Gonna go to the rest next semester, so hopefully the tutors will remember me when it comes to grading time :(

Thanks for the help, and anyone else in need of help, post your modules/courses!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Wow your worse then me! And Im bad

But this is what i dug up on the same courses:

Union and Disunion - the essay was 25% of the grade. The next is due the first week we are back. Its on land agitation but i dont have the questions exactly. They are up on the board in the department.

Perception and Cognition - all the notes are on blackboard. I have gotten my mits on a very comprehensive book of notes for the class. Not to worried about it . Its piss easy.

Thats all i do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Introduction to ethics is the easiest (though most boring) thing on the 1st philsophy course.
    Just learn one of the parables and what it means and you'll be fine for Theresa's part of the couse

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Lamia

Im in that ethics class too, nice to know im not the only one completely lost. Havent been to any of the tutorials either, apparently they question you on the book which ive yet to buy...

Would you be able to pm me the essay titles if you get the chance? Was kind of hoping to at least get that done over the break. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Thanks for the help folks :) And Lux16, very reassuring to hear that :p

I bought the book a while ago, read part of the introduction, that's all :( I haven't been to the tutorials either, so I'm pleased that I'm not the only one! :D

I'll post the essay titles tomorrow, sure, just too lazy to go out and get my bag at the moment :p

Yeah the book would help a lot id say :D Hope the exam goes smoothly for you. Id say that'll be great fun.:o

*goes to buy book*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

That ethics lecturer (Theresa I think) is the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Teresa Inglesias? (Rough approximation of her name - sorry if I'm wrong) She's not as bad as you make her out to be. She lays it out very simply and that makes it really easy to do her questions in the exam.

First Phil. used to be a piece of p!ss to pass - when I was a fresher anyway.

Although the exams are probably very different, the kinds of themes dealt with and therefore the questions asked are limited, so the questions won't be completely different to past ones. Just look at past papers. Actually, does anyone have any idea when the past papers will be available online again? Are they already available?

Blush_01 wrote:
    Teresa Inglesias? (Rough approximation of her name - sorry if I'm wrong) She's not as bad as you make her out to be. She lays it out very simply and that makes it really easy to do her questions in the exam.

Dont you mean Enrico

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Blush I'm pretty sure the past papers are available on the SIS all year round.

You people are no fun. Enrico Englasias Does not put past papers up on SIS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Grimes wrote:
    Dont you mean Enrico
    Don't you mean Enrique?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

You totally deserve a facepalm for that Grimes.

Beany - maybe they are for some subjects, but every year I can't access the past papers for my subjects until close to the exams. Go figure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Aye same for me. It comes up that "past exam papers are now available"

**shrug**

Oh also, when I log into SIS it comes up with a confirmation of attendance thingy..and when I click on it it tells me "there are no surveys available at this time" or something like that.

Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Same for me, anyway... I think they count the "Will you be attending this term?" as a survey and once you click the link there are no surveys left for you to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you've confirmed attendance already, you'll get that message. I get that one too, but I'm paying fees and confirmation of attendance is just for free fees students.

What happens if you don't confirm your attendance? :/ I clicked it before, but I don't think anything happened... :|

Introduction to Ethics titles:

A. Personal, social, and political life may be structured and lived either on the principle of competition (as sophist Thrasymachus thinks) or on the principle of co-operation (as the philosopher Plato thinks). Reflect on these alternatives and their consequences, then address this question: If you were a government advisor searching for a better world, which principle would you recommend and what reasons would you give for your recommendation?

B. Who are the main characters in the dialogue of Plato's Republic? How would you describe their moral identities and their moral points of view? Are these characters relevant to our understanding of moral life today?

Bloody long titles!

Grimey do you not have those Irish titles at all? :( Dey impawwtent!

Thanks Dave! ;)

Clicked the confirmation of attendance thing too, nothing happened either. I hope we werent supposed to click it last semester aswell. meh.

How about an arse slap baby ;) Ohh yeah

Grimes wrote:
    How about an arse slap baby ;) Ohh yeah
    Hey I gave you those O Connell/Famine titles you f*ck! :mad:

Watch your back, punk!

• Advertisement

These are the Union & Disunion titles I got off someone...

1. Analyse the importance of land agitation in the development of Irish nationalism during the 1870s and 1880s

2. 'Ulster will fight, Ulster will be right' : analyse the development of Ulster unionist opposition to Home Rule

They the right ones, yeh? Anybody started them?

Anybody?

Advertisement