Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The garden shed - any plans?

Options
  • 10-03-2006 4:12pm

Getting to that age when I need a shed. Hate those ones that come out of Woodies or BnQ, the standard suburban ones with the overlapping planks etc. etc. Or more to the point, hate the thought of parting with €1k - €2k of my hard earned for something like that.

So thinking of diy. Any sites with plans and specs or any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

Instead of a normal build --ie foundations & rising walls & floor -- I went for a slab of concrete with the area where the walls were going -were a little deeper.
    I then built a 24ft * 14ft shed with 6" solids --heavy blocks :eek: -- but the shed is like a bunker.
    I put single box profile cladding on the roof and in hindsight I should have put the double insulated stuff - as I had a problem with condensation.

but am changing the roof to an apex later this year anyhow.did all work myself and completed it for 3K euro.

hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 seanmc

Just a question on your shed - you used 6" blocks for the entire shed? How high are the walls?

I am going to build a shed approx. 18' x 10' with an apex roof and was going to use 9" cavity blocks. Would 6" blocks be safe enough for this size of shed? The side walls will be approx. 7.5' high.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I looked at all those options but decided that a local timber company would be the best bet.
    I have been quoted 2800 for a 6x5m with a 45º pitch corrugated roof, and a ventilation gap behind the lapped wood panels.
    I intend to make an insulated slab with a full Radon barrier as a DPC.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

seanmc wrote:
    Just a question on your shed - you used 6" blocks for the entire shed? How high are the walls?

I am going to build a shed approx. 18' x 10' with an apex roof and was going to use 9" cavity blocks. Would 6" blocks be safe enough for this size of shed? The side walls will be approx. 7.5' high.

the shed as above is 24 by 14 ft and about 7foot high.
    I am changing the roof later this year to an apex -so walls will be 2m and the apex 2m = 4m high as per planning :rolleyes:
    the blocks were very heavy but used them due to average block laying abilities, this shed will withstand a nuclear attack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.shomera.ie/

Look at some of the studio ones on the site.

You woun't have any change out of 2K :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Would a PD man like yourself not employ some immigrant on about a euro a day to do it? :D

I plan to build this one (after the decking, patio etc :rolleyes: ) http://www.buildeazy.com/shed_1.html but with horizontal feathered boards on the outside, rather than the vertical cladding used on the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Sorry, maybe a silly question but what is the deal with planning on a shed. I'm - well my Dad - is biulding a fairly good sized shed out my back at the moment and the neighbours knocked in to give out about the heigh tthe other day. It only goes about an inch or two higher than their run of the mill woodies shed does, but what are the actual limitations?

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

www.oasis.gov.ie

Generally, you will not need planning permission for:

.........Building a garage at the back or side of a house so long as it does not extend out in front of the building line of the house and does not exceed four metres in height (if it has a tiled/slated pitched roof) or three metres (if it has any other roof type). This building will be exempt from planning permission once the floor area is limited to 25 square metres. Garages or sheds to the side of the house must match the finish of the house and may not be lived in, used for commercial purposes or for keeping pigs, poultry, pigeons, ponies or horses.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dras

What about using a steel container then cladding the exterior?

Advertisement