Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parenting courses

Options
  • 10-03-2006 5:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Various people have talked here about wanting to do a parenting course, or having done one.

But where are these courses, please? A friend wants to take one - she's bringing up her kid on her own, and would like some skills besides what she's got.

If we get a good list of courses, with good recommendations, perhaps this could be a sticky?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Ok, here's a couple I've found online - anyone tried these?

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/regional_guide/courses1.asp

Nurture Institute of Further Education for Parents presents
    1. 'The changing Role of Parenting'
    a course for parents of children from 0 - 18
    taught by psychologists, family therapists and psychotherapists
    DATES:
    Until 31st May 2006
    Wednesday Evenings from 7.30 - 9.30
    COST:
    Modules can be paid for individually
    @ €20 per night

Topics covered:
    Child Development, Getting to Know your Child, Bullying, Self Esteem, Psycho Sexual Development, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, Separation, Bereavement, Nutrition, Emotional Intelligence, Changing Role of Parenting, Time for Me (for Parents), Child Spirituality.

&
    2. 'ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS'
    a day long course for Fathers, by Owen Connolly, Counsellor and Family Therapist
    DATE:
    Saturday 25th February 2006
    Cost for course (including lunch): €100
    COST:
    €100 including lunch

Topics covered:
    Developing intimate relationships with Children; Providing security for your sons and daughters; Being a Dad through separation and remarriage; How to help children develop healthy attitudes towards Sex, Coping as a single Father.

Venue for all courses:
    All Hallows College, Grace Park Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9

The Nurture Institute office:
    Tel/Fax: 01 2963795, e-mail chairman@nurture.ie

Nurture Institute for Further Education of Parents is the operational arm of Education Resource Trust. Registered Charity Number: 11176

New
    PARENTING COURSES
    Based on the 1-2-3 Magic Effective Discipline For Children 2 –12 by Dr. Thomas Phelan.

The course runs for 1½ days

LOCATIONS & TIMES 2006:

Drumcondra Thurs 9th March (7.30pm –9.30pm)

Tallaght Mon 27th Mar. 10am – 4 pm) and Thurs 6th April (7.30pm –9.30pm)

COST:
    €180 - includes coffee, lunch and all materials.

For further information, or to apply for a place, e-mail: ptimoney111@eircom.net.

Please note that places are restricted to 16
    on each course.

(Dr Phelan's own site is on www.parentmagic.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

The course I did was ran through my childrens primary school as far as I knw most school do them so why not start there ?

Advertisement