Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP/Database Question

Options
  • 10-03-2006 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

just want to validate something quickly. College friend of mine wants to set up a website that has a list of bands in a MySQL database, and instead of setting up a new page for each band, wants to have them created automatically using PHP. The idea is bands can advertise on the site by entering in their own details in a form thats inserted to the database, and the results are pulled out on the fly as the user browses.

I don't know much about PHP so will this work? Anything else to take into consideration? Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Yes, you can do that. However, if you don't know PHP, you are likely to make a horrible insecure mess of it. Learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Ok...thanks, any pointers, good websites/books? Even specific points on PHP security?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Do you have any programming knowledge at all, in anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Yeah - .Net, Java, done some scripting in Javascript and Python.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Personally, I would reccommend firstly buying your webspace and domain name.

I would reccommend www.siteground.com , they cost 50 euro per year and you get access to all the MYSQL database stuff as well as PHP forum, PHP mailing list etc with loads of other stuff and really professional too. Also, if you have problems they usually respond to support tickets within inutes.

After you have done this you need to start practising PHp and then move onto SQL.

Im also a learner but Im using PERL instead of PHP as I already have a good basis in PERL.

• Advertisement
Advertisement