Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linksys BESFX41/Netopia 3347NWG VPN possible?

Options
  • 10-03-2006 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭

The scenario is as follows.

There are two separate network locations each with :

Linksys BESFX41 routers
    Netopia 3347NWG modem

The Netopia supplies DHCP and does the routing and the Linksys is effectively a switch/hub.

My situation is that I am attempting to implement a VPN between the sites. To date I have had little success. All I have managed it to get the Security Authorisation without any response.

My thinking at this point is that I probably need to replace the Netopia with a modem so that the Linksys becomes the router and it will then be able to connect the VPN.

So my questions are.

Can this type of configuration allow a VPN ( The Netopia has no VPN option)?

or

Should I just replace the Netopia with a modem?

or

Is there another direction I should be looking.

All comments appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Are you looking to have a static always on connection? Or just a dial in VPN type for certain users?

If you want a static constant connection.. the way i do it is firstly get some static IP's for both sites. Secondly have a router and firewall combination (not a combo. And the firewall needs to have a VPN server. You can go down the software route too though its a little more complicated.
    Anyway just set up an IPSEC link between the 2 Firewalls pointng to each firewalls public IP address. This method works great with terminal services.

Oh the firewall i use is mostly a Micronet.
    Others we use are the more expensive Watchguard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Thanks for that. Terminal services is what we are looking at for now. Both sites have static IPs.

Advertisement