Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boosting phono RCA sound

• 10-03-2006 8:40pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got a new turntable that's built for a hi-fi (no speaker sockets, just a phono jack); problem is my little stereo isn't exactly the best thing to pick up the sound on these things; in this case (and with my ipod) I need to turn the stereo volume up full just to get a half-decent sound out of the thing, playing it anyway loud is above and beyond its capabilities...
    My old turntable was a standalone machine that I just plugged a connection from the headphone jack into my stereo; the fact that it had its own volume control meant that I could get a good sound out of it...
    So what can I do to boost the sound? Or do I need to invest in a whole new stereo just to get my turntable working to its full potential?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Don't have first hand experience, but my understanding is that turntables generate a weaker input than other hi-fi components. Older amps used to have a "phono" input for turntables, but since there is less demand for turntables these days, they don't come with a phono input as standard. You can buy a pre-amp to do the job, e.g.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=2&SUB=16&ProductID=216

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Hi Flogen. You need a device (a pre-amplifier) to match the output of the turntable to the line-level inputs of your amplifier. In theory this will sound better than your previous solution because the headphone output on your old deck had some gain applied to it so might have been overloading the inputs to your amp.

Looking at an old Maplins catalogue I see they have a stereo phono pre-amplifier order code QM51F for about 41 euro. I don't know if this is good value or not. Some amplifiers have this pre-amplifier built-in and you might find someone looking to offload a pre-amp here or on fleabay.

Advertisement