Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

gotta be a simple answer

• 10-03-2006 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Ok heres the problem. I have 2 hard drives on my computer (only just discovered) now since i got the computer everytime i download or install a programme it saves on hard drive one. now I keep getting error messages saying i have no space on my hard drive. I have tried deleting as such as i can.. but still getting the error message. question is? can i move say, the music to the other hard drive? if so, how? second simple question. how do i stop a whole load of stuff opening up on startup. The reason I call these simple questions is cos i know they are simple to you guys and girls who are so smart and know everything about computers!!! (suck up suck up suck up)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

On the programs starting up everytime windows starts:

Go start-run-type msconfig-select load startup itmes-reboot

Second hard-drive you should have a option to select it and save on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

a) With Firefox, you can easily specify where to save items when downloading
    (Tools -> Options -> Downloads).

Locate the folder with music (ex: Open My Computer -> identify folder c:\music) - right-click on the folder - left-click Copy - browse to the destinatation (Ex: D: in my computer) - right-click empty space - left-click paste...
    Aside: If you're using iTunes or similar, you will have to update the library.

What Operating System(OS)?
    Windows XP assumed:
    Start -> Run -> MSCONFIG -6 -> OK
    MSCONFIG should appear ... this is a list of some of the items that start when Windows starts. (A tick beside the list item means "start up"). Untick items (Leave anything anti-virus/spyware related ticked...). Apply and restart and test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭Baraboo

Right click My Documents folder - go down to properties
    click properties
    should open three tabs along the top - first tab - target

the box showing target should read C:\Documents and Settings\ etc.etc.

click in the cursor in the space after C and before :
    press backspace once to delete the "C"
    type Letter "D"
    press apply / done

your computer will popup and say "this folder does not exist do you want me to make it"

say yes

your computer will say " do you want me transfer all files in the present My Documents to the new target."

say yes

The startup group is more serious as it is easy to stop your PC working if you do not know what you are doing.

the simplest is to go to Start - Progames - Startup and delete anything in there.

the next most complicated is to start/run type MSconfig in the text box and press return

box with 6 tabs along the top - ignore the first 5, the 6th is called startup

click on this tab and have a long look at this before doing anything.

untick anything obvious like the game you got free with the frosties 3 years ago and have since forgotten about.

anything else that you do not recognise you untick could be a peice of spyware that is slowing down your pc or .. it could be your antivirus..... your call

try Adaware Se, AVG antivirus spybot search and destroy for a start but be aware when you start deleting with apps like these, best to back up the important stuff first.

The other options here in decreasing order of safety are applications that you download from the internet that analyse and "fix" your registry. some of these are quite good but all the good ones require a degree of user input that require to a lesser or greater extent some experience. having your PC not start after one of these apps gets through with it teach you to all about how to check out what you are clicking OK to .

If you have a burner it might be be better to back up everything and reinstall - you have to decide what level of slowness you can put up with

Hope this helps

Baraboo

Advertisement