Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting to Someone Elses Connection

• 10-03-2006 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi

Got new laptop. Did a search for networks within range.

Got connected to a network with a super broadband signal.

Is this OK to piggy back on? Does anyone know if it is legit?

S

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Not unless you're going to go over to their house and pay some of their bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

I know I shouldn't do it but how can they trace it to me?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Well, your question was is it legit, and if its okay to piggy back on, and the answer is no.

They will be able to tell you are using it, but it is their own fault for not password protecting it I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Your MAC address would probably be the easiest method of tracing it back to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

slumped wrote:
    I know I shouldn't do it but how can they trace it to me?
    They could, in theory, using Kismet (& a directional antenna), but it's unlikely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Ok i recently got a new laptop and its running wirlessly via the eircom router.
    My gaming rig ison ethernet.
    This is exactly what im afraid of.
    I pay 54 yoyos per month for my connection and dont want any leechers like this guy.
    Please can someone advise on what measures i can take to prevent leeching from me?
    Im sorry but saying something like password protect it means nothing to me as i am so new to wireless and even broadband itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Did you get a manual with the Eircom router?
    If so, it should be all in there, you need to setup encryption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

If they left it open its unlikely they have the technical ability to trace you if it was my network id be slightly upset as im paying the bill.

Oh and yes its illegal.

Now if u get unlucky and the network is run by some paranoid person they could watch all ur traffic (big if)

There are muppets floating about who take trips to other peoples(businesses) and use it for p2p for movies and crap. Not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

There's no reasonable way that anyone's going to trace the signal. They'd have to be very determined and have plenty of know how.

I wouldn't worry about it. Just don't go to town on the connection. Check your e-mail and turn it off. If they notice that their connection is slow (e.g. if you're using p2p) they might ring tech support to find out why... and then you're into a totally different situation.

If you're worried about your own connection (Dcully) check if it's being displayed as encrypted in the Detected Wireless Networks dialogue box. If it isn't then you need to connect to your wireless router (by cable preferably) and set up WPA or WEP. It depends on your router how to go about setting it up. If you post up the router make and model I might be able to help some more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

{RANT}
    Jaysus,
    How may time in this forum have topics been posted (and dicussed at great length) on the morality,legality and general issues involved on connecting through someone elses WAP???
    How many I ask??
    There must also be the same amount of topics which go into great detail on how to secure your wireless network...why do people not read the ones already there-or even use the web for a search.....then if they have any further questions possibly open a new thread.
    Fecks sake.
    {/RANT OVER}

• Advertisement

Well, if people are still askin the questions then maybe they're not getting the answers they're looking for in other threads.

Well, if people are still askin the questions then maybe they're not getting the answers they're looking for in other threads.

No-I'd say they are not looking......

I'd say, that like myself, they couldn't be arsed burrowing through a load of threads and they just wana ask it again. and so what?

Using others connection:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054858153&highlight=wireless+network
    Security:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054887527&highlight=wireless+network
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054897590&highlight=wireless+network

I've done a quick search for them.....
    Whats the point of replicating the exact same information over and over again?
    Why even have a "Search" button on boards??
    Perhaps some stickies need to be made on wireless security??

I agree, a sticky on how to check if your wireless network is secure would be a good idea.

Advertisement