Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mystery BB Access

• 10-03-2006 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Hi

Got new laptop. Did a search for networks within range.

Got connected to a network with a super broadband signal.

Is this OK to piggy back on? Does anyone know if it is legit?

S

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 oblian

heh someone discovered "wardriving" sans the driving.its an unsecured network and no its not legit but thats part of the fun ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

Probably one of your neighbours has an unsecured wireless network and you are picking it up, it will use up his bandwidth but apart from that I don't think much will come of it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

well, if whoever is running the network, hasnt got security like WEP or WPA then thats there own stupidity if they leave there connection open for people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

HAHA, of course its illegal to pigy back another Broadband connection, but loads of people are doing. The end of the day its there own fault for not having a secure password.

I'll probably get banded for this, but a small bit of advice, just don't go mad downloading music/big files or he will use up his usage cap and will cop on whats going after he rings his ISP probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

slumped wrote:
    Hi

S

I would imagine that it is not ligit, but I could be wrong. I hope I am for your sake. Is the signal in your estate, presumming you live in one? If so, then it is possible it is one of your nextdoor neighbours:) . If you feel guilty about using their connection, you could approach them and offer to pay half of their broadband bill. If you do not feel guilty, which BTW you should not, you should just carry on using the broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

How far do these signals typically go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Funny story to do with this actually, a guy i know went on a trip to dublin and he was staying in some hotel next to a net cafe, he ended up getting somthing like 2 megabit of every computer and there was 12 computers or somthing along those lines and he got some REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY fast internet for free. it was nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dr. Nick wrote:
    How far do these signals typically go?
    Usually no more that 100m for a home router. If it's coming from a business, it may have a greater range.

I'm not sure if it's illegal to connect to an unsecured network, but it's certainly immoral. Someone is paying for this, and just because they are ignorant of security measures doesn't give you or anyone else the right to hop on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

think of it this way,

if you owned the router yourself (i.e paying for the broadband) how would you like to have someone leeching your bandwidth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭kirving

Patricide wrote:
    he ended up getting somthing like 2 megabit of every computer and there was 12 computers or somthing along those lines and he got some REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY fast internet for free. it was nuts.

But having 12 modems at 2 mbps, wont equal a 24mb connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I couldnt tell you for sure what the hell it was all i can say it was Extremely fast. And it was free so it was nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Cremo wrote:
    think of it this way,

if you owned the router yourself (i.e paying for the broadband) how would you like to have someone leeching your bandwidth?

I'd secure my router or leave it open if I was a sharing caring person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

thats funny. Just got a new laptop myself, and brought it up to my friends house today and noticed that he could pick two wireless signals from his room. One secured and one unsecured. (he doesnt have a pc)I connected to the unsecured network anyway, and was even able to open up the router settings as the password was saved. Bit stupid tbh. Anyone who's anyone could easily feck up the whole show. What was weird though, was when i pinged the range of addresess, only mine and the router showed up, noone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

TimAy wrote:
    thats funny. Just got a new laptop myself, and brought it up to my friends house today and noticed that he could pick two wireless signals from his room. One secured and one unsecured. (he doesnt have a pc)I connected to the unsecured network anyway, and was even able to open up the router settings as the password was saved. Bit stupid tbh. Anyone who's anyone could easily feck up the whole show. What was weird though, was when i pinged the range of addresess, only mine and the router showed up, noone else.

Nice! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

TimAy wrote:
    keep it then :p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

well, if whoever is running the network, hasnt got security like WEP or WPA then thats there own stupidity if they leave there connection open for people :rolleyes:

So I suppose the corollary applies as well - if you have a Yale-type lock on your front door then I can open it using a 7up bottle and take all your goods because hey that's your own stupidity using a weak lock...

You're missing a basic point - it's someone else who is paying for the service and that means it's theirs and not anyone elses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭✭event

if you forget to lock your car, does it deserve to be stolen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

if you forget to lock your car, does it deserve to be stolen?

or, ..... if you found a car unlocked with the keys onboard, would you steal it? .... :p

I must say I feel uneasy about someone using a neighbours band width ..... a company? - well maybe .... a school or college? - maybe, but a neighbours? .... :(

you could always identify his add'y and get a message/warning to him/her :confused: .....

rem a lot of these guys are just starting out on the web and have a lot to learn about security .... :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

While IANAL, no one has ever been prosecuted in Ireland for using an open wireless point and there is no law against it.

If you were to break the WEP encryption it would definitely be illegal.

I would advise you to try to find out who owns the access point and offer to pay to use it, that would be the moral thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cremo wrote:
    think of it this way,

I agree it's the person's own stupidity - but I would advise you NOT to visit any dubious sites - after all it would be traced back to his/her IP address and trouble could arise.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

Original Poster Here

Have my own BB connection with BT so it's no Biggie for me.

I think I know where its coming from.

It's fairly weak most of the time. There is a guy a few 10 doors up got an Irish Broadband antenna on his roof so I'm guessing its him.

Might do a mail shot in the letterboxes around the area to let them know!

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

well done ..... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

slumped wrote:
    Original Poster Here

S

If there was an award for "Boards Citizen Of The Week", you would be long odds on to win. Fair play t'ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

slumped wrote:
    It's fairly weak most of the time. There is a guy a few 10 doors up got an Irish Broadband antenna on his roof so I'm guessing its him.

S
    Connect to his network and send him a message with net send. If he has the messenger service on it should work. Tell him to google for WEP or WPA security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

jor el wrote:
    Connect to his network and send him a message with net send. If he has the messenger service on it should work. Tell him to google for WEP or WPA security.

No - Tell him you're watching him and to put that thing away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

slumped wrote:
    Original Poster Here

S

Fair dues.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

OP here - not totally sure what all this means but maybe someone can help

There is an SSID called (HOME) and an IP address beginning with 10.X.X.XX i think.

If I did notify all neighbours about this, and didn't get the right guy, then I would just be advertising his connection !

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭_Turismo4

slumped wrote:
    Hi
    S
    Lucky you finding a strong wireless unsecured network, and for free,> wish I had one in my area.
    However most companies will be securing there systems soon enough so enjoy it while it lasts, because
    It’s almost virtually impossible to hack a secure network Once it’s password protected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Maybe it's open for a reason. We hear about these types of things often enough on boards, if you own a wifi router, it's your responsibility to secure it.

But if you are using it, you do know that you are leaving a trail for the owner to follow, and maybe he's actively hacking your machine.

Unless you know what you are doing, get off, its not yours and if you get hackered and knackered you've no one to blame but yourself.

Cheers
    Howard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

slumped wrote:
    Original Poster Here

S

Naah it cant be him, you said it was a fast connection no? :D

Advertisement