Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords prices

Options
  • 10-03-2006 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

Anyone think Halfords is a rip off? I have often compared prices between motor factors, main dealers and Halfords. I find that in many case Halfords is as dear or dearer than the main dealer and certainly dearer than a motor factors. Oil filters, bulbs, wipers and oil seem really expensive from them. Eg oil filters - IIRC I paid less for a "genuine" (manufacturer markings on box and filter) oil filter from a Renault dealer than what Halfords were looking for for a "spurious" filter.

You would think that a big shop would be able to sell stuff cheaper than say a small motor factors.

One good thing about Halfords is they have a decent range of tools for car maintenance, a good selection of batteries and its good to be able to go in and browse around at your leisure. The stock is generally well laid out too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

they can be expensive but on other things there fairly good.
    I bought my mates old head unit and cd changer after he crashed his car and needed to get some cables for it, the control cable for the cd changer cost me 50quid which could be ok but it felt like a huge amount to pay for it, and the face plate for a pugeot 206 cost 20quid.
    saying that, things like speakers,bass packs,paint, tools dont seem to be too bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

There car audio prices are robbery.
    Any of there "high end" equiptment is stupidly priced,there wiring,fuse holders,distribution blocks and other bits cost 3 times the amount compared to maplin.

There handy if your stuck for a bulb on a sunday but other than that i wouldnt use them unless it wasnt my money being spent!

i found their wiring gear was very dear but they had some deals going on speakers and subs. never thought of checking maplins. must have a look during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

The only thing i buy in there is tyre shine as i can't get it anywhere else !

I bought a stereo over the net from the UK recently, cost €225. Went into Halfords and they have the exact same one marked at €620 !!!!

What site was that DaveD? was that shipping inc.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Halfrauds tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    You would think that a big shop would be able to sell stuff cheaper than say a small motor factors.

Oh they would be able alright, but those English megachains really like their 1000% markup$$$$$$ on parts. Not just Halfrauds, they're all at it :(

Then again, we could be worse of. Saw a documentary a while back where it was shown that Walmart bought t-shirts for $2 per 16 and sold them in the US at $20 each. A mark up of 16000% :eek: :mad:

Rip-off Ireland? We're not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

yeah there prices are robbery. i thought they wpuld have been cheaper.but it looks like its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Some things are, some things aren't. You have to be choosy though. I agree with the comment that their ICE stuff is ridiculously priced, but I bought a pair of axle stands for about 16 Euro not too long ago, which was pretty good. Their maintenance-free batteries aren't bad value from what I can see, either.

I think they're dear for oil, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭The OP

murphaph wrote:
    Halfrauds tbh

How does selling stuff at a higher (and clearly marked) price, which people can CHOOSE to pay or not, imply any type of fraud? Or are you clutching at straws for a pun?
    And putting TBH (to be honest) at the end doesn't really make much sense. Do you think "tbh" means "if you ask me"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

What site was that DaveD? was that shipping inc.?

www.cel-direct.com

Apologies no it wasn't including shipping but iirc that works out at £30. I've bought all my ICE from the above site and have to say i've never been able to find anyone over here who comes even close to their prices. Delivery is pretty quick too, usually about 3 days !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The OP wrote:
    How does selling stuff at a higher (and clearly marked) price, which people can CHOOSE to pay or not, imply any type of fraud? Or are you clutching at straws for a pun?
    And putting TBH (to be honest) at the end doesn't really make much sense. Do you think "tbh" means "if you ask me"?
    Alright, I should have put a ':D' for the slower interweb users about the place. I think everyone else knew it was an attempt at humour, albeit a lazy one. They obviously have better things to do with their time than make a big deal about it though. Enjoy your day at work (in Halfords presumably ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

I know of at least one car forum where the filter automatically changes Halfords to Halfrauds :D

thanks dave i'll give it a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Anyone with an Axa policy can show their insurance cert or disc to get a 15% discount. Only found out about this recently, handy enough I suppose if buying something big, I wouldn't be bothered with it though if it was a couple of bulbs I was buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Anyone with an Axa policy can show their insurance cert or disc to get a 15% discount. Only found out about this recently, handy enough I suppose if buying something big, I wouldn't be bothered with it though if it was a couple of bulbs I was buying.
    Interesting Tipsy Mac, thanks. I have been with Axa for a few years and didn't know about this. A quick google turns up www.axaplus.ie which gives info about the discounts.

I have 2 separate motor policies with AXA. I wonder does that mean I get 30% off? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

BrianD3 wrote:

I have 2 separate motor policies with AXA. I wonder does that mean I get 30% off? ;)

Still expensive

now that i think about it my aunty gets 15% off coz she works in boumount hospital, forgot about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

now that i think about it my aunty gets 15% off coz she works in boumount hospital, forgot about that.

Discount in Halfords or off insurance? My sister is a nurse there too, and Halfords is about to open in Drogheda :D

Advertisement