Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BROADWORKS??Has any1 Heard of em??

• 10-03-2006 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi Folks,

I moved into a lovely apartment there not so long ago and its my first home so i was a bit unsure about who to get the Cable TV from as the builders never told us who to contact to get connected. I rang NTL anyway and they told me that nope your not on our connection list you'll have to get a company called Broadworks out to do it. I rang these guys anyway and they came out and installed the boxes for the TV. At the 1st residents meeting a lot of people brought up the fact that there was no Digital TV package available with this company and a lot of people were going nuts :mad:

I'm not too bothered about the didgital TV service but we were told that we could not get Cable or Digital TV from anyone else but them!Now I've been onto com reg they said they couldnt help, i've got onto the builders-> no help there and surprise surprise no help from the management company, is this bloody legal. I though under the Deregulations Act of 2004 we as consumers have a choice??????

But thats not all i enquired about the Internet Service Broadworks provide and I was told that at present their servers couldnt handle the volume of traffic thats on there from residents living in other developments around dublin and therefore I'd have to wait. I asked what Broadband service they provide and they told me 512kbps for €20 a month I started laughing and they said they'll have a 1meg package in place soon but sure can you imagine the price!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

BROADWORKS??Has any1 Heard of em??

well they have a site but not sure it's going to cheer you up .... :(

http://www.broadworks.tv/index.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Congrats....you have been monopolised by the developers!!!

0.5Mbit for €20 a month is a complete joke considering what the "competition" aka NTL offer!

And that channel lineup is a joke and should be given as a FREEbie to those who dont use their no existent Digital package!

Why didnt the developers use Magnet....4Mb/4Mb from them is damn cheap and reliable!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Presumably because someone who works for the developer and had to decide who would be a good cable/broadband provider to use got a fat packet of 50s with his name on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Actually, a lot of developers refuse to allow NTL anywhere near their development because they chop up cables and cause other problems for the builders when they're laying their own cable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eth0_ wrote:
    Actually, a lot of developers refuse to allow NTL anywhere near their development because they chop up cables and cause other problems for the builders when they're laying their own cable.

That is bull, Broadworks are as likely to damage others cables as any or the developer could lay the cables for NTL or god forbid the developer could actually put down carrier neutral ducting.

The developers get big fat wads of money from the likes of Braodworks, Magnet, Smart, etc. for exclusive access to an exchange.

Something has to be done about this (new legislation requiring carrier neutral ducting) or we are going to be left with lots of mini monopolies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

eth0_ wrote:

What complete and utter rubbish!!!! They'd have the b******s sued off them if they did. Companies like NTL, Eircom, and the ESB have been laying cables in new estates for years and are very proficient at it. Magnet and Smart are much the same. It's called respecting one another.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

So you installed Broadworks but cant get tv and get rubissh broadband? Why did you do that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Skyuser wrote:
    So you installed Broadworks but cant get tv and get rubissh broadband? Why did you do that?

I think the point is he had no choice. Developers do deals with these companies - at least Magnet are putting in Fibre to the new developments. I was getting excited there when I saw magnet diggin up the road past my house until I later realized that they were digging towards Adamstown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 trade-it

jimmycrackcorm your dead right i had no bloody choice in the matter so it was either pay up or sit there and look at the walls. It just makes my blood boil when i think about it, it is so unfair and it is a case of braodworks handing over big wads of of fat €50's! Does anyone know where i stand on this, is there anything that can be done??If these guys decide to hike up the pice to say €50 a month for example I have to bloody pay it otherwise i've no cable:mad: As for their broadband connection- what a joke it look like Im going to have to pay two companies for two seperate services, that shower for cable and another for my phone and broadband which is just going to work out more expensive in the long run!! I need the broadband though i've just started selling online! Thanks for all the help you guys, if you have anymore help or advice twud be much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I don't understand? Who is stopping you from getting BT Broadband and Sky Digital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Apartment owners are usually prevented from installing sky dishes. It would be worth a letter to the papers to complain about the deviousness of this setup though. Potential purchasers should be warned.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Apartment owners are usually prevented from installing sky dishes. It would be worth a letter to the papers to complain about the deviousness of this setup though. Potential purchasers should be warned.

Unfortunately there is little people can do, with house prices in Dublin spiralling out of control, many people can only afford to buy an apartment and they have little choice as to what is available to them. Often the developers won't even tell you what is available.

Skyuser wrote:
    I don't understand? Who is stopping you from getting BT Broadband and Sky Digital?

You see when you close off the deal at your solicitors office you sign a legal document stating that you are not permitted to erect a satellite dish outside your apartment, now this doesnt apply to all apartment complexes only a few so that why I can't get SKY. Well it looks like i've been shafted big time on this one, great :( Would you get it in any other country??? probably not:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Have ye no phone lines in Dublin any more ??? You could get the Magnet packages over a phoneline in some areas of Dublin .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭yoman

I am in the same boat, I have bough in a new development with my only choice being these Broadworks shower of wasters!!! I can't belive even comreg allowed another analogue provider in to this country, how backward is this when the UK are trying to shut down their analogue TV service and we are allowing new ones to start up!!!!

I would love to see all residents get together in new developments and refuse to connect to these guys :mad:

yoman wrote:
    I am in the same boat, I have bough in a new development with my only choice being these Broadworks shower of wasters!!! I can't belive even comreg allowed another analogue provider in to this country, how backward is this when the UK are trying to shut down their analogue TV service and we are allowing new ones to start up!!!!

I would love to see all residents get together in new developments and refuse to connect to these guys :mad:

i know what i'd love to do i tell ye:mad: Broadwork, absolute joke its an absolute disgrace we are so backward in this country its unreal!

yoman wrote:

Maybe there could be a way of us organising a meeting with a rep from Broadworks and Menolly. I have the names of a contact in Broadworks if you want it??

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

where is the building trade-it? As far as I know, you are legally allowed to choose whoever you want. You might p*ss off the developers but being honest they havent left you with much choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

antodeco wrote:
    As far as I know, you are legally allowed to choose whoever you want. You might p*ss off the developers but being honest they havent left you with much choice.

That is true, however if there is only one type of cabling this is not the case. If broadworks, for example, are the only TV company you are stuck with them accept for RTE transmission. If he can get an Eircom line he could get BB from them.

antodeco wrote:
    where is the building trade-it? As far as I know, you are legally allowed to choose whoever you want. You might p*ss off the developers but being honest they havent left you with much choice.

Broadworks ye mean?They are based in BLackrock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 redhander

tv & broadband for €40 a month...not bad, wouldn't mind that!!!

Advertisement