Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick Hamster

Options
  • 11-03-2006 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

We bought a Hamster 3 days ago from a petshop in Parnell street. The man said its 8 weeks old. Me and my partner have had hamsters for 3 years and we think we have enough experiance in taking care of them. Now, after only 3 days this little hamster not feeling well, smells bad and peeing along his back. We are not sure if he was sick before we got him? Any advises what to do? We dont feel right to back the pet shop and ask for a replacement!
    Pets are not a commodity!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Sounds like he/she might have a condition called "Wet-Tail" which can very quickly become fatal.

Have a look at http://www.britishhamsterassociation.org.uk/get_article.php?fname=journal/wettailfact.htm

And bring him to your vet first thing tomorrow.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Take the hammi to the vet & I hope he gets better - I would complain to the pet shop tho as you bought a pet that you thought was healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

if it's Whackers pet shop it's very odd that they'd sell a sick animal! They're probably the most reputable in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

If he has wet tail you need to complain to the petshop. Your right, pets are not a commodity but the pet shop should not be selling unhealthy animals and his hamsters in the shop probably need a visit from the vet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

If it was Paddy's pet shop I wouldn't be at all surprised if they sold you a sick animal, loads of their stock are sick every time I go in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭korramatta

Thanks for all the replies. Our hamster passed away last night. we feel terrible. Any body aware if wet tail is contagious? we have Miguel( our other hamster) in a seperate cage. he is still looking healthy and friendly so far.The sick one , we got from the " wackers " pet shop where chinese guys works! they are friendly and offered us a refund when we were there yesterday.but we wont be claiming refund anyway.
    Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So sorry to hear that :(
    http://www.petwebsite.com/wettail.htm More details here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Sorry to hear that. :(

Its caused by a bacteria and is very contagious to other hamsters in or nearby the infected animal.
    It can day a few days for the other one to show any signs (7-10 usually) so get him/her to the vet asap, he will probably give anti-biotics to treat and or prevent infection.

Advertisement