Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open source

• 11-03-2006 1:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

Whats the story with open source ?????
    I'm not a programmer but just wondering what the term means exactly.

Im not a priest either

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

It generally means that a program's source code is available to all. The source code is the human-readable form of a program that's then converted to what the computer understands, by means of a compiler (that's a generalization).

There are usually conditions attached, e.g. the Gnu Public Licence states that if you use Gnu stuff with your program, then you have to release your programs under the GPL too. At the other end of the spectrum are things like the Eclipse licence which basically says you can do what you like with the Eclipse code, including repackaging it and selling it.

If you read Eric Raymond's article (now a book?) entitled The Cathedral and the Bazaar (http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/) you'll understand the ideas behind open source much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

thanks murray ,very much appreciated and understood

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Source

Open Source essentially means "source code made available".

GNU / Free software invariably gets a mention when Open Source does.
    I'd just ask that you read the above article or other sources and note that there are distinct differences. (I'll leave it at that:p)

Advertisement