Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bruce Springsteen- but not as we know him...

Options
  • 11-03-2006 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

New Album out next month is a 'tribute' to Pete Seeger:
    We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
    (Songs written by Seeger include 'If i had a Hammer', 'turn, turn, turn' and obviously 'we shall overcome'). And, no, there's no silver bullets.......

Anyway, Bruce's 21st album is out end April, touring in Europe early Summer, though I doubt Dublin will get a show due to the oddness of the pitch. UK, Italy and Sweden are unofficially confirmed.

1. Old Dan Tucker
    2. Jessie James
    3. Mrs. McGrath
    4. Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep
    5. John Henry
    6. Erie Canal
    7. Jacob's Ladder
    8. My Oklahoma Home
    9. Eyes On The Prize
    10. Shenandoah
    11. Pay Me My Money Down
    12. We Shall Overcome
    13. Froggie Went A-Courtin'

Bonus Tracks:

Buffalo Gals
    How Can I Keep From Singing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Hmmm sounds interesting , is it acoustic like the last one ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Sounds good. Bit like Dylans covers albums from the early 90's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

meldrew wrote:
    Hmmm sounds interesting , is it acoustic like the last one ?

No, there's a full band....

bruce_image_seeger.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Sounds good! Can't wait! Springsteen is one of my fav artists. Did anyone get the 30th Anniversary of born to Run boxset?

Sounds good! Can't wait! Springsteen is one of my fav artists. Did anyone get the 30th Anniversary of born to Run boxset?

ooooh ya. The documentary 'Wings for Wheels' is one of the best 'rockumentaries' you're likely to see.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

yeah the box set was great! The documentary was very cool..nice and long as well!

Rumour on Springsteen boards is that opening night for this material will take place in Dublin, May 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Listened to the samples , sounds good alright

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 garftiz81

Yeh, heard this too. Supposed to be announce later this week

Sold out in 10 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I wouldn't say it's fair to say "but not as we know him" - Springsteen recorded "We Shall Overcome" for a Seeger tribute album about a decade ago.

Seeger may be just a tad more folk than Springsteen, even in Nebraska or Tom Joad mode, though both have covered Woody Guthrie's "This Land Is Your Land" but it's not a move by Springsteen that I'm all that surprised by - he's been moving towards this earthy folk thing in spurts over time. No "Turn! Turn! Turn!" though, which is a half pity though it's probably a little too potentially pop for a heartland rock meets political folk tribute. I wonder if the Boss knows that Seeger accepted a medal from Fidel Castro in 1997. From what I've read this album was recorded in the living room of Springsteen's farmhouse in a few days with plenty of fiddles and washboards present so the end result will be interesting at the very least.

As for the Silver Bullets, pay no attention to Dr. Nick. He's just trying to confuse you younger kids into confusing Pete Seeger with Bob Seger (or more likely making a side-swipe at all the people who mix up the two which is a silly amount of people).

Advertisement