Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting started

Options
  • 11-03-2006 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey folks
    I'm hoping to get WoW tomorrow afternoon, and seeing as this will be the first MMorpg I've played I thought I'd ask you guys a few questions before I run out and get it.
    1. Honestly how hard is it to get started.
    2. I'm no typist just a two finger bandit, will that hold me up in the game or can I set up a headset to chat to other players during the game.
    3.How hard is it to join up with groups or guilds, or will everyone ignore you cause you are a newbie.

I have more questions but its late and I'm going to bed so these will have to do for now. Thanks in advance to anyone who responds.

ooh one more.....can we buy time cards for WoW here or can you only pay online??? Thanks again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

1. Honestly how hard is it to get started.
    Ummm install => subscribe => load game => create character => play

2. I'm no typist just a two finger bandit, will that hold me up in the game or can I set up a headset to chat to other players during the game.

You will mostly type i predict, unless you join a guild that uses voice comms (Teamspeak, Ventrillo)

3.How hard is it to join up with groups or guilds, or will everyone ignore you cause you are a newbie.

Join a new low population server and you should have no trouble joining any guilds at all. Not too sure about the grouping as i mainly solo :D

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Don't worry about the typing, you'll be grand. Look for one of the new-ish servers to start on, as they'll have more low-lvl characters, so you'll have a lot of help at the beginning.

When I started off, my realm was very new, so there were always loads of people around, which made it really easy to find groups and things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭spritey

When I first started, I was clueless. I had a friend to help me out though. And I can't stress the importance of reading the manual ;)

Do you have any friends that play? I would be happy to help you but unfortunately my server is closed to new accounts now :(

Just be friendly. Type 'properly', I suppose, as that helps. People don't generally like the "HELP PLZ NEED HELP NOW PLZ U HELP?" sort of thing. You can spot 'experienced' low-level characters though, they'll frequently chat in the "General" channel and say helpful things.

Or they may say things like "giev epixxx now lol kthxbai" which is... I dunno really, everyone does it, making fun of the beggars and all :)

Getting into a guild though... it's a tricky one, as I said I had a friend and so I was straight into a friendly guild.

What I would suggest is to create a character you like on what is termed a "Normal" server. PvP servers are more dangerous and players of the opposite faction can kill you... on a "normal" server you can fight them too, but only if you choose to do so (you 'flag' yourself).

Be helpful, and people will be helpful back to you.

And yep you can buy game cards, not sure where in Ireland though.

Once you've picked a server go to the Warcraft website and look in the Realm Forums section. It's a great way to get to know your fellow players, and for the most part there's generally a good community atmosphere. If you post there and say you're looking for a friendly guild who can give you some guidance, I'm sure you'd have some success :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I cant stress enough how unfun playing on a normal/PvE server is. By the time you get to level 20 or so, which is the time you will even notice the difference between PvE server and PvP server, you will have figured out enough to be able to survive reasonably well.

However, alot (and I mean ALOT) of people have gotten all the way to level 60 on a PvE server only to realise what a horrible mistake it was and have to reroll on a PvP server.

The only real problem with a PvP server is around peak times when the level 20-30 zones become farming grounds for PvP. In that instance you can just work around it, but when it comes to your time to PvP there you will be glad you chose a PvP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Ivan wrote:
    I cant stress enough how unfun playing on a normal/PvE server is. By the time you get to level 20 or so, which is the time you will even notice the difference between PvE server and PvP server, you will have figured out enough to be able to survive reasonably well.

However, alot (and I mean ALOT) of people have gotten all the way to level 60 on a PvE server only to realise what a horrible mistake it was and have to reroll on a PvP server.

The only real problem with a PvP server is around peak times when the level 20-30 zones become farming grounds for PvP. In that instance you can just work around it, but when it comes to your time to PvP there you will be glad you chose a PvP server.
    I'm not really sure why people would have to reroll on a pvp server after getting to 60 on a pve server?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

You'd have to ask those that started on a PvE server and got to 60 only to decide they hated it and wanted to reroll on a PvP server. Thankfully, I am not one of them :D

It is possible it was simply before BG's when there was no decent way to get your PvP fix, this of course may have change. Again, you'd have to ask someone who rolled on a PvE server.

Tbh I've really never heard of anyone getting to 60 on PvE and thinking "Oh God, I need to go to PvP server" nor can I think or a reason why anyone would. I am 60 on a PvE server and before BG's came out there was always healthly PvP going around. All you needed to do was attack Southshore / Tarren Mill / Crossroads in any number and the Alliance and Horde would flock there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

With BGs, at lvl 60 most pvping is done there I've found on PvP servers. It's very rare that I would be involved in some fisticuffs with those naughty alliance people outside of BGs. Infact the only time we meet each other is when one side is ganking the other when trying to enter an instance.

Before lvl 60 I thought PvP was alot of fun (no BGs then though). Definately if you are on a PvP server, you should expect to be jumped by (and to jump if you are into that sort of thing) a few people when doing the lvl 30-50 zones I would think.

Some people find it annoying, some people find it fun. Take your pick.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

i could see people re-rolling on a PvP server after having gotten to lvl60 on a PvE server, but only before battlegrounds came out. since world pvp is totally dead on bladefist (and many other older servers), and all it has become is a constant grind for the best gear and rank. now i like battlegrounds. its good fun, and great if you dont have time for long instance runs, but its gotten to the stage where if you kill someone who's grinding rep, you get trolled in the forums for it.

i loved the days of landing in Southshore, to see 30 horde, 10+ levels higher then you, about ten feet away. there were some great fight there. come to think of it, i dont think i ever did any quests in southshore :rolleyes:

As I said, just get a group of 5 - 10 people to start picking on an enemy town somewhere and its instant world pvp. Thats what happens on Terenas anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement