Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ahh women..

• 11-03-2006 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Notice I'm not logging in under an incognito name. I couldn't care less. There's this girl I'm mad about - We used to work together. I was in the pub where she works tonight and ran all the way up town and bought her flowers - I figured, spontaneous, women like that. handed them too her and she was shocked.. Didn't say anything. Standing there liek an eejit I was, I just smiled at her, she took the flowers and I walked away.

I feel like a complete gob****e now. I bet she thinks I'm an oddball.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

dlofnep wrote:
    I bet she thinks I'm an oddball.

Probably ... things like that only really work in stupid chick flicks or coffee ads .. in real life the girl is thinking "why did that bloke I barely know just buy me flowers ...?"

Live and learn ... a simple "Hi, how ya doing, mind if I join you for a drink" will probably do in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

dlofnep wrote:
    Maybe not. When you walked off did you do it smoothly with a cheeky smile on your face? Or did you just kinda let the smile fade and awkwardly slink away? If it's the former then get it there next time you see her. What was her reaction apart from taking the flowers? Did she smile? Did she take them and not even notice you? Did she just stare in a weird way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

She could've been quiet because she was embarassed. Look positive on it man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

dlofnep wrote:
    Notice I'm not logging in under an incognito name. I couldn't care less. There's this girl I'm mad about - We used to work together. I was in the pub where she works tonight and ran all the way up town and bought her flowers - I figured, spontaneous, women like that. handed them too her and she was shocked.. Didn't say anything. Standing there liek an eejit I was, I just smiled at her, she took the flowers and I walked away.

What did you expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

What did you expect?
    The Sixpence None The Richer song "Kiss Me" to magically start playing in the background?..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Laguna wrote:
    The Sixpence None The Richer song "Kiss Me" to magically start playing in the background?..

Fooking brilliant...like your own theme music or something. Although in dlofnep's case, i think radiohead would say it better! "im a creep..." hehe :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Laguna wrote:
    That's exactly what I was thinking :D

Ah sure how well do you know her, I think you should um, actually talk to her!
    Who can say what she is thinking! Ask her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

As long as you didnt do the napoleon dynamite run away, the situation might be salvagable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ouch ****, remind me not to post on here when I'm drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

dlofnep wrote:
    Ouch ****, remind me not to post on here when I'm drunk.

Oh to be so young again. It has just gone 8.30am, you were drunk last night and you are up already. Enjoy it while it lasts.:D Ask her out tonight because I would imagine you have been on her mind all night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Flowers what were you thinking. You were drinking/drunk in a pub that she works with then got her a bunch of flowers, ha, how smooth.

Dee's deesh are for chooo (smile)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jeep

:) I think its lovely and shows the romantic in you and I for one am all for a bit of Romance. Good for you for being sponteanious. Hope things work out for you.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

Stekelly wrote:
    As long as you didnt do the napoleon dynamite run away, the situation might be salvagable.

LOL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I must say that is halarious...
    Fair balls to you tho...
    That said, oddball might be an under-statement :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

I say fair dews, if you ever try it again though, have a snappy little quip ready, "Beautiful flowers for a beautiful woman", and then smile your' widest smile, and saunter off.

Guaranteed hit, if she's not impressed, someone nearby will be. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭40YardScreamer

I think spontaneous is the right approach. Flowers are going to fast though. Maybe a simple 'I think you are lovely' line would do the trick with a big smile. She would blush, you could then follow up with 'i want to bring you out sometime'. That shows that you are not asking her 'ahem, if your not, ahem, busy, sometime, whenever, maybe you'd like to.. ' just then some bloke walks over and asks her out. I think you can still do this if she's not trying to avoid you all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

i think i have to congradulate ya! You've got some amount of balls! Ah sure **** it, what harm can it do right? You only live once, or twice in my case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Better to regret something you did than something you didnt do!

**** happens man

BigWillyStyle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

dlofnep wrote:
    Standing there liek an eejit I was, I just smiled at her, she took the flowers and I walked away.

why the **** didn't you talk to her. obviously she thinks you're an oddball, you handed her flowers and walked away!

she was probably shocked alright, i'd be shocked if i was given flowers in work spontaneously. probably wouldn't know what to say. that doesn't mean she doesn't appreciate the gesture and doesn't like you. she was probably embarrassed, especially if there were workmates around or something.

next time, try having something to say to her!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Did you leave your name or phonenumber in a card on the flowers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭*Lolly*

dlofnep wrote:
    Handed them too her and she was shocked.. Didn't say anything. Standing there liek an eejit I was, I just smiled at her, she took the flowers and I walked away.

Lol! Well she's partly to blame! Ungrateful bugger if you ask me...

I know flowers are a tad Cliche but id appreciate them any day - as im sure anyone else with a heart would :D

Next time you see her just ask if she's enjoying them...

And next time you give a gal some flowers/a gift etc try and accompany the actual giving process with speech.. such as " I say how beautiful these were and though of you"? Cheesy eh :rolleyes: ? But dont just thrust them at her and stalk off! lol she tink your a bit of a Phsyco

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I like it. Maybe she was just shocked. At least you'll have something to talk about next time you meet!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

C'mon....tell us how you got on casanova!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 aroha

Dlofnep! you crazy guy.
    It fills me with happiness to think things like still happen.
    Hope she appreciates your spontaneity......:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

fair play to you!

it's romantic that you took the time and effort to buy her flowers. who knows, maybe she was genuinely touched. possibly a CHEESEY chat up line like "beatuiful flowers for a beautiful lady" would have sickened her :D

going up to a girl with your hands down the front of you trousers and asking her "how she likes it" is odd. buying a girl flowers and smiling at her isn't.

personally, i wish i had the courage to do something like this for a girl i fancied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Done the exact same thing to a girl I worked with with a pretty similar reaction. that and we arent as close as we were anymore
    Sort of makes me wish i didnt do it now, as it completely ruined our friendship, but hey you live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If she had no idea about how you truly felt, then who can really blame her? You really can't just pop up out of the blue declaring your feelings?

Why? Because of society? Because of the way people are about reaching out and touching someone else? I guess you're right but it's daft. We're all made from the same stuff. We all feel the same things. But most people cqare too much about what other people are thinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

I've done something along those lines recently, it looked cool in my head... then i realised have way through it that i just looked like a complete gobbo and engaged my bright red tomato face mode.

Don't worry about it, live and learn and avoid her at all costs :) It's hard to tread between the tightrope dividing "I'm interested in you" and "i lurrrrve you".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Sheesh, get with the 21st century - make her a CD of the music she likes.
    That way, even if you pull a "silent-stalking-type" maneuvre and just turn and walk off, at least she'll have a listen and think "maybe this guy's got potential" (or words to that effect, I dunno what goes on in these female minds).

Flowers?
    Drunk?
    Left without a word?

Yeah... tbh you would look like a stalker, mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

fair play, next time however you may want to write a good witty line on a card with your phone number and give it with the flowers and just walk away and let the card do the talking. The poor girl was probably mortified that you brought her flowers in work in front of all her work friends so of course she was speechless. So your best bet is probably go back to the pub and talk to her, preferaly without flowers this time. Oh and keep us all informed or we will come looking for an update.
    See this is why posting when drunk is a bad thing, for soem reason you think posting on teh PI forum under your proper handle is a good thing, seriously why didn't use this set of new found balls to tlak to the girl when you gave her the flowers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 IrishMinx

Thats really really sweet. She is a lucky girl.

Give her time to come to realise that, if she doesn't she is the one missing out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭hepcat

Dlofnep, don't worry. The girl surely knows you're not a nut, if you have been around a while, and - even if she was taken aback / embarassed - I'd say she's secretly flattered and delighted to be on the receivinb end of such a spontaneous romantic gesture! Who wouldn't like to get flowers out of the blue? Fair play to you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

... have a snappy little quip ready, "Beautiful flowers for a beautiful woman", and then smile your' widest smile, and saunter off.
    Guaranteed hit, if she's not impressed, someone nearby will be. :D

Cheese ++ :P

OP, for something like that to actually work, you would have to be fairly certain she feels the same way. Like someone else said, should may just have been a bit shocked and embaressed. but she would be if she hadn't a clue you felt that way about her.

Consider how you might feel in that situation. If you are at work and someone was to approach you with a gift like that which clearly shows that they 'dig' you'. If you find that flattering and would probably strike up a conversation with them because of it, then thats the approach for you and well done. If you feel you'd be too embarassed about it, then you'd need to try something else. I think you should use that method in future, if it would work on you, then it may work for them too. Hey that rhymes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

you would have to be fairly certain she feels the same way

This is the key!!!. I've had something similar happen to me at Christmas. To say that I was shocked is an understatement. I have absolutely no feelings towards this guy and was taken aback by his gesture.

At present, I try to keep my interaction with this person to a minimum, as I don't want to further fuel any notions he has. Thought I'd mention this as it may happen in your situation OP.

In my opinion spontaneous gestures like these should be kept in a relationship. If you want to ask someone out, then just do that and leave anything else for further down the line.

A.

b3t4 wrote:
    This is the key!!!. I've had something similar happen to me at Christmas. To say that I was shocked is an understatement. I have absolutely no feelings towards this guy and was taken aback by his gesture.

At present, I try to keep my interaction with this person to a minimum, as I don't want to further fuel any notions he has. Thought I'd mention this as it may happen in your situation OP.

In my opinion spontaneous gestures like these should be kept in a relationship. If you want to ask someone out, then just do that and leave anything else for further down the line.

A.
    I think its wrong to just ignore the guy. Sure he's put you in an awkward situation but you should really tell him that you're not interested instead of refusing to see him. Also, it would be a good idea to thank him for whatever it was that he did. Not having a go as I'm sure you were very shocked which is understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I think its wrong to just ignore the guy.
    I wouldn't call it ignoring him. I'm just backing off slightly so he doesn't get anymore wrong ideas.
    Also, it would be a good idea to thank him for whatever it was that he did.
    Of course I thanked him.

This is how I react to these situations. I've been put in a few similar situations and it's never turned out well. If I stay nice they become stalkish or come out with "I love you" statements. This girl mightn't react in this way but it's a possibility that I wanted the OP to be aware of.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sounds to me like 'the little head' was doing all the thinking and not 'the big head'. Ah, well - when the balls are full, the brain is empty !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

Where the hell did you buy the flowers? (assuming it was fairly late in the night)

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote:

i suppose the fact she took them isnt too bad a sign not meaning to raise your hopes up tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

well you have given her a while to think things over, so now would be the time to start thinking about going back to see how she feels.

Advertisement