Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition: Trundle for Ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Wouldnt bother with Trundle, there was talk of Everton making a move for him so Shef Wed tried to get in there first and made a large bid for him(about 750K which is ALOT for Shef Wed) and he turned it down, said he didnt want to move from Swansea, another club who where higher up the table in Championship made a move as well and he turned it down and I think he signed a new contract then to ward off any interest that any PL club might of had, think he is scared sh*tless of moving up into a proper division because then he will be found out as the average player he is, wouldnt bother touching him until he shows his desire that he wants to further his career in a proper division

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

blu_sonic wrote:
    at 29 he's not exaclty a spring chicken

John Aldridge anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Kingp35 wrote:
    John Aldridge anyone?

Aldo was 27 by the time his started playing Division1 (aka premiership level) football. Trundle is 29 and still in 'Division 3'.

That said tho I've nothing against him cos of his age. I just don't want a guy who's playing at that level in the squad if it can be avoided..

Plus as Eirebhoy points out incessently Trundles preference is for Ireland so its not as if we have to rush in to cap him just to make him bound to us. If he's in Div1 or the Prem next season, getting his game at club level and playing well enough then I'll have no objections to seeing him in the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Pigman II wrote:
    Aldo was 27 by the time his started playing Division1 (aka premiership level) football. Trundle is 29 and still in 'Division 3'.

That said tho I've nothing against him cos of his age. I just don't want a guy who's playing at that level in the squad if it can be avoided..

Plus as Eirebhoy points out incessently Trundles preference is for Ireland so its not as if we have to rush in to cap him just to make him bound to us. If he's in Div1 or the Prem next season, getting his game at club level and playing well enough then I'll have no objections to seeing him in the squad.

So are you saying that because Trundle is paying at a lower standard he simply isnt good enough for international football. What wold happen if say for instance ( i know it wont but just for arguements sake) chelsea got relegated to league one and duff stayed with them, would he then not be good enough for ireland becuse he is playing in league one?

It's not about what league you play in, its abou how good or bad you are. Should Trundle be punshed because he is showing loyalty to his team? IMO he shouldbe given a sht as i feel he is better than Morrison, but i wont knw for certain until he is givena chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

the league you play in is a reflection of the standard of player you are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

... most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

blu_sonic wrote:
    the league you play in is a reflection of the standard of player you are

Not all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

mchurl wrote:
    So are you saying that because Trundle is paying at a lower standard he simply isnt good enough for international football. What wold happen if say for instance ( i know it wont but just for arguements sake) chelsea got relegated to league one and duff stayed with them, would he then not be good enough for ireland becuse he is playing in league one?

Yes and no. He could well be good enough but I'd have my misgivings about any player in that league being good enough to play for Ireland and whilst we have any options in that position I don't see why he should be singled out for preferential treatment.

Also I think you will find that most people would start having misgivings about Duff too if the eventuality occurred where he was voluntarily spending the best years of his career playing football in division3.
    but i wont knw for certain until he is givena chance.

Sure by that logic we should just cap a new XI for every friendly just in case we unearth some gem playing in the conference or the EL division1. Representing your country is an honour that should be earnt. The day we start using international games like free-for-all trials will be a bad one as well as a waste of time in my mind. Kerr proved that much when he started throwing caps around left right and centre during the friendlies of '04.

I simply believe there should be a minimum standard expected of a professional footballer who appears for us. A standard that is higher than simply popping up on SoccerAM every once in a while.

If Trundle (like any other player) wants to appear for us then let him prove his worth at club level first. In my mind he hasn't done that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just skipped everything, read the post, skipped to my post.

he is with swansea for a reasn, he is in league one for a reason. He has no pace, wow he does some basic skills to a bunch of low league players.
    n
    o way fit or qualififed or skilled enough for international football. It really says something when ir rather clintom morrison over someone, cause hes absolutly dire too.

• Advertisement

And you say what is duff went to div 1, thats just enver gna happen , an unreal example and a retarded one. Simply damien duff could get into really any other premiership team.

But take for example your man doyle. Its really is all about level if you think bout it. Its a higher standard. Yes trundle is nutmegging league 2 and 3 footballers, hes scoring goals against league 2,3 defences and goalkeepers.

Would you see Trundle schooling John terry? Would he school a premiership defender? Would he school a championship defender? Cause at the end of the day thats all he does he has no pace, he ahs to trick people. Tricks that all well and good at a lwoer level.

I personally dropped down to the second team in my club after leaving goalkeeper for outfield, dropped from the top division in brenfer to the lowest league in the land, and ripped the piss, actually took the biscuit, scored a ridulous amount of goals from defensive midfield.

International players should be able to perform their goods at the highest level. So you must think when ireland go to tournmanets etc and if it was Ireland V Brazil/ Ireland vEngland Ireland vHolland do we want lee trundle playing up front.

hes enver getting a chance so stop with these gay petitions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

And you say what is duff went to div 1, thats just enver gna happen , an unreal example and a retarded one. Simply damien duff could get into really any other premiership team.

From this comment alone I know that you dont know much about Trundle. Premiership and Cnampionship teams have wanted to sign him and have made bids for him but he didnt want to leave Swansea because he is loyal to the club and expects them to get promoted to the championship anyway. Obviously the managers of these clubs felt he was good enough to play at that level but trundle chose to stay loyal. Its not a case that he isnt good enough to play at a highre level that you seem to think to be the case.

From the way people are talking I know most people hardly know anything about the man and are just going by the fact that he plays in League One. Dont judge someone by the league they play in. There can be many other reasons why they are playing in that league and not simply that they are not good enough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wouldnt bother with Trundle, there was talk of Everton making a move for him so Shef Wed tried to get in there first and made a large bid for him(about 750K which is ALOT for Shef Wed) and he turned it down, said he didnt want to move from Swansea, another club who where higher up the table in Championship made a move as well and he turned it down and I think he signed a new contract then to ward off any interest that any PL club might of had, think he is scared sh*tless of moving up into a proper division because then he will be found out as the average player he is, wouldnt bother touching him until he shows his desire that he wants to further his career in a proper division

Tripe!
    He turned down moves to championship clubs because he felt swansea are going to get promoted so why bother join Sheffield Wednesday in january when they are in truoble of getting relegated and just going back to lueague one when he coukld stay with swansea and play in that league next season?
    He has said that he would only move from swasea if a premiership club came in for him, infact he siad that when he was in league two! nothing to do with lack of ambition, it's to do with repaying the fait shwon in him by the swansea management 3 years ago when he was signed from wrexham.
    The fact that swanseas fall from the top of league one coincides with his injury problems confirms to me that they miss him, he is a class above everyone in the league and IMHO the most nautrally gifted player outside of the premiership in england, his vision, first touch and finishing are second to n one and he admist himself that he didn't fu*ck about when he was 19 he would have been a first team player forn Preston North End and most likely a premierhsip player well before now, he has in the last 5 years gone from a complete lack of fitness in a sunday league team to conference, Wrexham, getting fit at swansea and becoming a great striker despite a lack of pace and height, that to me says "this lad has something else" most players in engand rely on sheer atlethic ability, he relys on sheer footballing ability, and in my opinion is a far better player than anyone playing in the eircom league at the moment, and I'm an eircom league fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Lets stop this nonsence now. Trundle for Ireland? Ladies Team maybe.

This petition is pathetic, Steve and Bobby will laugh if they see this. Cop yourself on and stop the nonsence.;)

finnpark wrote:
    Lets stop this nonsence now. Trundle for Ireland? Ladies Team maybe.

This petition is pathetic, Steve and Bobby will laugh if they see this. Cop yourself on and stop the nonsence.;)
    agreed

Seaneh wrote:
    Tripe!
    He turned down moves to championship clubs because he felt swansea are going to get promoted so why bother join Sheffield Wednesday in january when they are in truoble of getting relegated and just going back to lueague one when he coukld stay with swansea and play in that league next season?
    He has said that he would only move from swasea if a premiership club came in for him, infact he siad that when he was in league two! nothing to do with lack of ambition, it's to do with repaying the fait shwon in him by the swansea management 3 years ago when he was signed from wrexham.
    The fact that swanseas fall from the top of league one coincides with his injury problems confirms to me that they miss him, he is a class above everyone in the league and IMHO the most nautrally gifted player outside of the premiership in england, his vision, first touch and finishing are second to n one and he admist himself that he didn't fu*ck about when he was 19 he would have been a first team player forn Preston North End and most likely a premierhsip player well before now, he has in the last 5 years gone from a complete lack of fitness in a sunday league team to conference, Wrexham, getting fit at swansea and becoming a great striker despite a lack of pace and height, that to me says "this lad has something else" most players in engand rely on sheer atlethic ability, he relys on sheer footballing ability, and in my opinion is a far better player than anyone playing in the eircom league at the moment, and I'm an eircom league fan!

How much have you seen of Trundle?

• Advertisement

One of the first thing staunton said as Ireland manager was that he thought Trundle was a very good player, and worth a look as far as the irish team was concerned, so Ner ner !

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    How much have you seen of Trundle?

I'm a Swans fan! I've seen him live 7-8 times in the vetch and liberty in the last 3 years and a few times away when I was in varoius places in england visiting friends and family and swansea were playing near by. I also saw him play against us for wrexham the years before that, each season he has got better, and is still getting sharper, his record this year is amazing!
    I watch Swansea anytime they are on SkySports in my local pub (my cousin is the manager and fellow swans fan, we started following them after a visit to south wales when we were both about 15, so thats 6 years ago!)
    I'd say live more than ten times, on Tv god knows how many and taped matches friends from wales have sent a good few times too.

why do you ask?

prob because the swans are so obscure not many people know trundle, pre-boards i never heard of him

Did anyone see Trundles goal in the LDV Vans final yesterday? It was a great goal where the ball was crossed into him and he took it down on his chest and volleyed it into the far corner of the net. Tremendous stuff.

He's in big trouble over a flag that he was holding at the end. Didn't see it myself but understand it said something about Cardiff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

He's in hot water over his celebrations after the match, waving a '**** Off Cardiff' flag, and wearing a tshirt with a cartoon of someone pissing on a Cardiff jersey. Nice.

He's in hot water over his celebrations after the match, waving a '**** Off Cardiff' flag, and wearing a tshirt with a cartoon of someone pissing on a Cardiff jersey. Nice.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/57234674.jpg?v=1&c=MS_GINS&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF19390335F8FA9CA92A6915A83407AAD9BEFF06BF04B24B4128C

Found it.

Yeah he is supposedly under police investigation because of it.
    Swansea City striker Lee Trundle is being investigated by police after allegedly insulting Cardiff City.

The 29-year-old scored once and set up the winner in Swansea's 2-1 Football League Trophy success over Carlisle United on Sunday.

After the game, the forward is said to have carried a flag that included an offensive remark about Cardiff and also worn a T-shirt that mocked Swansea's Welsh rivals.

"I am aware of the incidents and I certainly take a very dim view of what happened," stated South Wales Police chief superintendent Bob Evans.

"The incident with the flag was logged in our match report.

"It has also been reported to the Football League.

"An official police investigation has been launched and further enquiries will be made into both incidents throughout the next few days."

Swans chairman Huw Jenkins has issued an apology to Cardiff City.

yeah just the type of lad i want to see pulling on the Green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's not like he's got pissed and started kicking lumps out of parked cars, like some players who have worn the jersey.

I'll be honest off the pitch (bar something really bad) i couldn't care less nothing to do with being a pro footballer, to parade about on the pitch like that he must be a moron, the ref should have sent him off post match, the ref can do that

It's not like he's got pissed and started kicking lumps out of parked cars, like some players who have worn the jersey.

When did this happen??? remember a while ago 2 players got pissed and where on the bonnet of the car when the owner(who was a Garda) came walking out of the pub and arrestted them.....they didnt kick the "lumps" out of anything. I wouldn't like them on my car but don't make out they where going around causing mindless damage to every car on the road, it was one car and they accepted they wher ewrong and paided damages.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

blu_sonic wrote:
    I'll be honest off the pitch (bar something really bad) i couldn't care less nothing to do with being a pro footballer, to parade about on the pitch like that he must be a moron, the ref should have sent him off post match, the ref can do that

So you where completely against Roy Keane coming back playing for Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Big Nelly wrote:
    When did this happen??? remember a while ago 2 players got pissed and where on the bonnet of the car when the owner(who was a Garda) came walking out of the pub and arrestted them.....they didnt kick the "lumps" out of anything. I wouldn't like them on my car but don't make out they where going around causing mindless damage to every car on the road, it was one car and they accepted they wher ewrong and paided damages.......

It was a few cars they were racing down a street on the roofs the last one just happened to be a coppers irc.

I scored a screamer in work today on my break , flicked it up over the russian fork lift driver ran round behind him and smacked a volley into the top of the pallet/goal. I cant wait for teh Kdjac for ireland thread and petition!!!!!!!

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

“Playing for Ireland is something that’s still very much on my mind and Steve Staunton knows what I can do because he talked about me when he first got appointed.

"If you’re a manager of an international side then you’ve got to look at every option possible. There’s a very good chance that he could be watching the [LDV Vans Cup final against Carlisle United] on television on Sunday, and that could hopefully improve my chances if I do well.

"I was out injured for parts of January and February and the Sweden friendly was straight after that, so my injuries couldn’t have come at a worse time but I’m back scoring now and if I can keep doing that then hopefully I’ll get the call-up I’ve been waiting for.”

• Advertisement

So you where completely against Roy Keane coming back playing for Ireland?
    What did keane do?

KdjaC wrote:
    It was a few cars they were racing down a street on the roofs the last one just happened to be a coppers irc

Wouldnt base your opinion on the press.....one of them was Kennedy who used to live around the cornor from me.....seen him a few times around Blanch.,.....they where on one car and got caught.....press blew up story and said they where running down all the cars on the street.....one thing how could this happen in city centre in the middle of the night??? most st will have maybe 1-2 cars spaced out.....never really a st full of cars they would be able to run down

blu_sonic wrote:
    What did keane do?

The alf inge halaand incident. Or is that acceptable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Nelly wrote:
    Wouldnt base your opinion on the press.....one of them was Kennedy who used to live around the cornor from me.....seen him a few times around Blanch.,.....they where on one car and got caught.....press blew up story and said they where running down all the cars on the street
    Why not? They would have used things like police reports and witness statements to put their reports together. The fact that all players were punished by the FAI would also indicate credence to their reports.

What evidence do you have aside from "Mark Kennedy used to live around the corner from me so he obviously only did it to one car". And besides even one car is one too many.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    one thing how could this happen in city centre in the middle of the night??? most st will have maybe 1-2 cars spaced out.....never really a st full of cars they would be able to run down
    How often are you in town in the middle of the night? There are still plenty of cars around. I've seen people do the exact same thing plenty of times, and even if there are spaces between cars.

No i don't think its acceptable at all

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Question for you Chucky... If Steven Gerrard played for Ireland and I said that I never wanted him to play again for Ireland because of the Gary Naysmith incident a number of years ago, how would you respond?

Not trying to start anything, just trying to make you see our point of view...

Lets not turn this into a roy keane thread, but i personally was totally against him coming back, and always felt he was a scum bag and totally over rated as a " defnsive midfielder" he was jsut a grunger who broke up play, ysh he was a good player, but not in the ways that eamon dunhpy or most of ireland describe him, as the best player ever in green .

And trundle for Ireland is a wee bit of a joke...... i have actually seen Trundle play ,and no doubt he ahs gr8 ability, but when you loko at the muck that plays around him, he just takes the biscuit really.

And you judge a player for international if you think he can pull his tricks off against the best. Is he gna trick the best defenders i nthe world. I dont think so

And tbh after viewing that picture with is flag he can go and sit downin the lower divisions for the rest of his carrer, if he came into the ireland squad it would be a worse call then when they brought that scumbag back into the irish team.

PORNAPSTER wrote:
    Question for you Chucky... If Steven Gerrard played for Ireland and I said that I never wanted him to play again for Ireland because of the Gary Naysmith incident a number of years ago, how would you respond?

Bad tackles are a part of the game. It's not uncommon, particularly in derby matches, for players to get a rush of blood from time to time, when passions are high and a lot is at stake.

Going out planning to injure an opponent, in order to exert revenge over a nothing incident on his part, is a completely different kettle of fish.

The two are incomparable, and the side you are trying to argue is unarguable.

I'm sorry but I don't see any difference between Keane on Haaland and this...

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/38621000/jpg/_38621325_gertack300.jpg

The ball was gone away from Naysmith long enough that Gerrard could be done for premeditating it.

• Advertisement

PORNAPSTER wrote:

The ball was gone away from Naysmith long enough that Gerrard could be done for premeditating it.

How long was Keane suspended for after the actual tackle though? IIRC most of the suspension was because he came out and admitted he meant it.

PORNAPSTER wrote:

Has nothing to do with it. THe reason i mentioned the roy keane incident is because blu_sonic said that becuase of Lee trundles actions after the LDV final he doesnt want him playing for Ireland. So i was just wondering if he wanted keane to play for Ireland because of his actions in the halaand incident. And just felt that if a person is good enough to play for Ireland, their actions at club level shouldnt be taken into consideration.

PORNAPSTER wrote:

Did gerrard plan on making that challenge for 2 years? I doubt it. Gerrard was a shocking challenge, buts no where near keanes.

Did gerrard plan on making that challenge for 2 years? I doubt it. Gerrard was a shocking challenge, buts no where near keanes.
    It's going completely OT. So I won't add anything. Chucky has said how I feel and how it (somewhat) ties into the discussion. There is no point anyway in going down this avenue if Pornapster can't distinguish between the two as they are completely different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Seaneh wrote:

Should be a petition to Morrison thorwn out of the Irish squad.

Trundle? :rolleyes: The pick of the eL's strickers would do a better job than him.

Why not? They would have used things like police reports and witness statements to put their reports together. The fact that all players were punished by the FAI would also indicate credence to their reports.

What evidence do you have aside from "Mark Kennedy used to live around the corner from me so he obviously only did it to one car". And besides even one car is one too many.

You really havent a clue do you? will leave you to read the bullsh*t they publish in the "press" and believe it. Base all your knowledge on the Sun and Herald, of course they research everything and base all there stories in police reports......some people:rolleyes:

How often are you in town in the middle of the night? There are still plenty of cars around. I've seen people do the exact same thing plenty of times, and even if there are spaces between cars.

In town loads of times, yeah there is a few cars alright but according to your great sources in the "press" the players had run a full st of car hoping along the top of them...dont think so but you believe what you want, I just believe in the truth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Bad tackles are a part of the game. It's not uncommon, particularly in derby matches, for players to get a rush of blood from time to time, when passions are high and a lot is at stake.

Going out planning to injure an opponent, in order to exert revenge over a nothing incident on his part, is a completely different kettle of fish.

The two are incomparable, and the side you are trying to argue is unarguable.
    So how would you feel if Michael Owen played for Ireland - would you want him to never play for us becuase he went out to injure someone? If he still played for liverpool would you want him kicked off the team?

And yes, Owen HAS admited that he has gone out to injure players.

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    You really havent a clue do you? will leave you to read the bullsh*t they publish in the "press" and believe it. Base all your knowledge on the Sun and Herald, of course they research everything and base all there stories in police reports......some people:rolleyes:

In town loads of times, yeah there is a few cars alright but according to your great sources in the "press" the players had run a full st of car hoping along the top of them...dont think so but you believe what you want, I just believe in the truth
    Where did I once say The Sun or the Herald? You are completely missing the point as usual.

The lads acted the maggot in town, whether it was to loads of cars or not is irrelevant, because one is too many. Trundle went on a wind up mission against rival fans, it's a far less a crime than Babb and Kennedy's antics.

Tauren wrote:
    So how would you feel if Michael Owen played for Ireland - would you want him to never play for us becuase he went out to injure someone?
    I wouldn't have a problem with him playing. Did I say I hada problem with Keane playing for Ireland after this, because lets be honest here that is what you are getting at.
    Tauren wrote:
    If he still played for liverpool would you want him kicked off the team?
    It wouldn't make a difference to me who he played for.
    Tauren wrote:
    Has he? I find that hard to believe.

Tauren wrote:
    any player that admits intent should get a one year ban regardless, if they end a players career intentionally they should recieve a life ban! there a people in amature football banned for less

Where did I once say The Sun or the Herald? You are completely missing the point as usual.

The lads acted the maggot in town, whether it was to loads of cars or not is irrelevant, because one is too many. Trundle went on a wind up mission against rival fans, it's a far less a crime than Babb and Kennedy's antics.

Your completely missing the point, don't start posting alot of tripe on here about the players running along a st full of cars and that the press only print stories when they get Garda reports etc. I know for a fact the story in the press was the usual crap you expect from them. At this stage I am so sick of it I don't buy a paper anymore except for the Indo for business section.

Yeah the lads where acting the maggot, God love them I have never seen anyone do that. Young men going on the beer in town, shock, horror, terror.

So Keane's crime was admitting it... I see...

• Advertisement
Advertisement