Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition: Trundle for Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Where did I once say The Sun or the Herald? You are completely missing the point as usual.

The lads acted the maggot in town, whether it was to loads of cars or not is irrelevant, because one is too many. Trundle went on a wind up mission against rival fans, it's a far less a crime than Babb and Kennedy's antics.

LOL. My god, they ran over a few cars. Throw these lads away and lock up the keys. Perhaps we should bring back the death penalty.

Were there reports of any damage being done? Not that I heard. Its the sort of drunken antics that people get up to all over the country every weekend but because two Irish players do it, suddenly its all over the front of the papers.

Give it a rest Jivin, they were drunk and stupid but that's no reason to hang the poor fellas. Trundle, on the other hand, incited opposition fans and his actions could have led to riots or far worse. Just look at the trouble Gary Neville got into. Trundle went a whole level further.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lemlin wrote:
    LOL. My god, they ran over a few cars. Throw these lads away and lock up the keys. Perhaps we should bring back the death penalty.

Were there reports of any damage being done? Not that I heard. Its the sort of drunken antics that people get up to all over the country every weekend but because two Irish players do it, suddenly its all over the front of the papers.

Give it a rest Jivin, they were drunk and stupid but that's no reason to hang the poor fellas. Trundle, on the other hand, incited opposition fans and his actions could have led to riots or far worse. Just look at the trouble Gary Neville got into. Trundle went a whole level further.

Rolling over your car bonnet will probaly let to a misshaping it. If i owened a car and found two lads rolling over it for fun, i wouldnt be a happy camper. Ah, but they were drunk. Thats fine then, thwe'll excuse them.

Oppisition fans? You clearly have no idea about the incident do you? Next time your going to comment on something, at lets make sure you know the events surrounding the incident.

yes,i am sure all the cardiff fans in the stadium were raging! haha :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Nelly wrote:
    Your completely missing the point, don't start posting alot of tripe on here about the players running along a st full of cars and that the press only print stories when they get Garda reports etc.
    It's like a pantomime in here.

"No you're missing the point"!

What is your ****ing point?

(1) I never definitively said that Kennedy and Babb were running over streets of cars. (2) Are you still trying to excuse their actions? Actions which they admitted to in court that they were guilty of. (3) You seem to have the notion that everything printed in the papers is 100% incorrect. You also seem to forget that this action went to court, where the lads pleaded guilty, then it was ruled on, and then the transcripts got into the public domain, and were then used by the papers to write their stories.

Going back to what your point is, whatever it is, I never said that Kennedy and Babb should have been kicked out of the team, but their actions are as bad as what Trundle has done IMO. And what Trundle has done should not disclude him from the chances of playing for Ireland. I think you would actually probably agree but you are just arguing for the sake of it as usual.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    I know for a fact the story in the press was the usual crap you expect from them. At this stage I am so sick of it I don't buy a paper anymore except for the Indo for business section.
    Wow, you are such a conniosseur. What day do you buy the Indo for the business section? Friday yeah? By the way the Indo's reporting on business matters is pretty shocking in comparison to other available publications.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah the lads where acting the maggot, God love them I have never seen anyone do that. Young men going on the beer in town, shock, horror, terror.
    Again, I never said ban them for life. But again you go off on one of your all-knowing tirades. I have to say though, it's good to have people with your attitude, lads also go into town and batter the sh1t out of innocent people, but then again, to quote such a wise man: "Young men going on the beer in town, shock, horror, terror".

And again no surprise to see your knight in shining armour appear, you guys are so predictable you are like a bad WWF tag team.
    Lemlin wrote:

Give it a rest Jivin, they were drunk and stupid but that's no reason to hang the poor fellas.
    I never said hang them. I have no problem with the guys. At the time they were correctly omitted from the squad as punishment, what they did was chronically stupid. But the "boys will be boys" attitude is non-sense. These lads are men, representing our country, and they should have more cop-on when on international duty.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Trundle, on the other hand, incited opposition fans and his actions could have led to riots or far worse. Just look at the trouble Gary Neville got into. Trundle went a whole level further.
    You are right, just look at Gary Neville, I see all the calls for him to be omitted from the England team. You are on the money as usual.

Could have inciting riots, lets not get ahead of ourselves, we are dealing in ifs and buts, Kennedy and Babb could have done their antics to another drunk males car, inciting mass brawls in our own capital. Both were stupid incidents, but pretty harmless to be honest.

Rolling over your car bonnet will probaly let to a misshaping it. If i owened a car and found two lads rolling over it for fun, i wouldnt be a happy camper. Ah, but they were drunk. Thats fine then, thwe'll excuse them.

Oppisition fans? You clearly have no idea about the incident do you? Next time your going to comment on something, at lets make sure you know the events surrounding the incident.

yes,i am sure all the cardiff fans in the stadium were raging! haha :D

I never said there were Cardiff fans in the stadium. The incident has been all over the papers. As usual though, you jump to conclusions.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Millennium Stadium is in Cardiff. It doesn't matter if Cardiff fans were in the stadium or not. Would you like it if some English players walked through Croke Park in a game next year with a sign saying "F off Dublin". That's what Trundle did.
    Originally posted by Jivin Turkey
    And again no surprise to see your knight in shining armour appear, you guys are so predictable you are like a bad WWF tag team.

No worse than you and your own little tag team pairing with Chucky.
    I never said hang them. I have no problem with the guys. At the time they were correctly omitted from the squad as punishment, what they did was chronically stupid. But the "boys will be boys" attitude is non-sense. These lads are men, representing our country, and they should have more cop-on when on international duty.

Yes, god forbid that a pair of lads on our national soccer team should act like such reprebates. If you ask me, what they did is nothing compared to Trundle. As I said, how would you react if what he did happened in Croke Park next year?
    You are right, just look at Gary Neville, I see all the calls for him to be omitted from the England team. You are on the money as usual.

Could have inciting riots, lets not get ahead of ourselves, we are dealing in ifs and buts, Kennedy and Babb could have done their antics to another drunk males car, inciting mass brawls in our own capital. Both were stupid incidents, but pretty harmless to be honest.

I'm usually more on the money than your good self. Speaking of money actually, I'm still waiting on Albert Luque to prove that 8.5 million price tag you said was justified :)

What Trundle did was far more serious than the Neville or Babb and McAteer incidents. You can't go round holding banners telling a nation's capital to "**** off", especially standing in a stadium in that capital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Can we get a soccer sub-forum where Lemlin and Jivin Turkey can just argue for the rest of time?

Lemlin wrote:
    I never said there were Cardiff fans in the stadium. The incident has been all over the papers. As usual though, you jump to conclusions.

In case you hadn't noticed, the Millennium Stadium is in Cardiff. It doesn't matter if Cardiff fans were in the stadium or not. Would you like it if some English players walked through Croke Park in a game next year with a sign saying "F off Dublin". That's what Trundle did. .

Thats nothing like what he did. Its like a United player going to a stadium in liverpool, thats not anfield, and parading a sign saying "**** off Liverpool". If miller or oshea did that i would definitly wouldnt call them to be banned for ever playing for Ireland.

Lemlin wrote:
    What Trundle did was far more serious than the Neville or Babb and McAteer incidents. You can't go round holding banners telling a nation's capital to "**** off", especially standing in a stadium in that capital.

He never told a nations capital too **** off. Hes told caridff city fans to **** off. Huge difference. Its close enough to nevilles. YOu talk about him causing a riot. There were porbaly very few cardiff city fc fans in the stadium. SO chances of a riot were very slim. However, chances of trouble after neville celebration were alot higher i would of thought.

Could you just translate this little golden nugget for me please...

If miller or oshea did that i would definitly wouldnt call them to be banned for ever playing for Ireland.

So which is it, would or wouldn't?

Lemlin wrote:
    Could you just translate this little golden nugget for me please...

So which is it, would or wouldn't?

dunno how it came out that way. :confused:

wouldnt want them banned for that. Barring a serious criminal conviction i dont think anyway player should be banned for playing for Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Mark wrote:
    Can we get a soccer sub-forum where Lemlin and Jivin Turkey can just argue for the rest of time?
    agreed the thunderdome isn't big enough for them lol, we've seriously gone waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy off topic here.

what would trundel bring to the team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,425 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Mark wrote:

They wouldnt argue if there wasnt a gallery there to read their comments, arguing between themselves with no-one else reading would get boring awful fast for them ;)
    blu_sonic wrote:

what would trundel bring to the team?

Some neat tricks! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

do you not think though at the international stage his tricks would get found out very quickly?

i think, like the proverbial "rabbit in the headlights", he'd be found out pretty quick and too scared to do anything :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I think he has the balls to pull it off against anyone to be honest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

we will never know ontill/if he is given a run.

Seaneh wrote:
    I think he has the balls to pull it off against anyone to be honest.

He has the balls to pull it of against League 2 opposition and little else IMO. He seems to know that himself or he would of moved from Swansea by now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lemlin wrote:
    He has the balls to pull it of against League 2 opposition and little else IMO. He seems to know that himself or he would of moved from Swansea by now.

he is the top scorer and best player in League one by a distance. He is not all tricks and flicks, he is strong and can hold the ball up well and bring others into the game, has a great shot and he is an excellent finisher. He drifts to the wings alot and can put in some great crosses. If you ask me his tricks would definietly work in the Premiership because he is more skillfull than half the players in it.

As for him not moving from Swansea. Have you heard of loyalty? Swansea is a club that he obviously loves and he wants to see them do well. They are a club on the up who have a great chance of being in the Championship next season. Why would he want to leave a club he loves where is idolised and a club that is very much on the up? Being criticised because he is loyal to Swansea is ridiculous. Offers have been made by bigger clubs in higher leagues but he was the one that chose to stay.

If you ask me everyone here is dismissing him simply because he plays in a lower league without actually knowing much about the player himself at all. He deserves a run out in a friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hope your not refering to me and Lemlin? if so you are so wrong. If you post a pile of tripe everyone is going to point it out to you. Especially when you post threads like "I love Souness" and then argue for 4-5 pages that he is a great manager when the whole world knows he is a joke including the Newcastle board. Look at the form since that waster left

Again when the story came out in the press it was right after the incident, there was no court and everything in the press was complete crap, of course you read this and you know everything about this, God your great, sorry but your posting crap as usual.
    You seem to have the notion that everything printed in the papers is 100% incorrect.

Thats because the majority of it is, please read the Keane to Mardid, Van Nist to anyone with a heart beat, Viera to anyone for the last 4-5 season before his move(which they still got wrong and said it was Madrid, the story ran about fights in the Ireland camp when Kerr was manager and the list goes on. Yeah the press report everything with a honest heart..........
    Wow, you are such a conniosseur. What day do you buy the Indo for the business section? Friday yeah? By the way the Indo's reporting on business matters is pretty shocking in comparison to other available publications.

haha, you are standing up for the rag papers crap stories and then try to insult the business section???? wonder how you can see the section when you are not reading the Sun/Mirror/Herald with there 100% correct stories? lmao. Do you know what business is? its not reading the specials in Lidl
    do you not think though at the international stage his tricks would get found out very quickly?

Getting back on topic before Jivin ruins another thread with his so called posts, yes he would be found out, its ok if someone thinks that he is being loyal but there is loyal and being too loyal, Swansea have done f**k all for a number of seasons and he has stuck with them. He has to have some ambition since he is turning 30 soon, he only has one career. He has been offered a number of chances to move to bigger clubs and as rejected them all. I think he knows himself that it is better if he plays in lower division and becomes a legend than moving for a season to a higher division and shown that proper defenders can see his tricks and stop him.

Wouldnt pick him in the squad till he shows what he can do against a proper defence.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

As I already said lads his not all about tricks. He has many good attributes that make him a good player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,343 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I wouldn't have a problem with him playing. Did I say I hada problem with Keane playing for Ireland after this, because lets be honest here that is what you are getting at.

It wouldn't make a difference to me who he played for.

Has he? I find that hard to believe.
    in his autobiography he admited to sharpening the studs of his boots before a match against Man United, and then going in on Ronny Johnson to injure him (which he did)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have just read through the last 30 or so posts.

Is it just me or is it insane this argument has gone on this long? Is it not painfully obvious both parties being discussed each did something stupid, but obviously not bad enough to be discounted from any future international matches.

For Gods sake like, i guarantee if barton raises his game another level he'll come very close to making the england team in a few years, he's done some terrible stuff but would very rightly get his chance. Barring serious (jail time) type offences i dont see why people dont deserve their chance if they can show on the field they merrit it.

And as for Trundle, maybe he'll choke, maybe he'll be class, noone will know unless he's given the chance. Why deny ourselves a potentially great player due to ignorance? Give him a chance in a friendly, then we'll know.

Fact is he doesn't deserve the chance. Why are people championing his cause when we have Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Elliott, Clinton Morrisson and David Connolly? And they're just 5 Irish strikers that come to mind, there are probably more better than Trundle.

Most international teams name 5 strikers at most. Trundle certainly wouldn't be in my squad ahead of any of those as they have all played at a higher level and proved themselves.

Its one thing to ply your trade in League 1 and do great but how can you compare the defences of Notts Forest and Tranmere to those of international teams? Trundle may be all tricks and flicks against the League One lads but it'll be different when he's up against someone like John Terry or Nesta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Why deny ourselves a potentially great player due to ignorance?

I think it would be more ignorant to play Trundle in a friendly and deny Doyle and Keane a chance to get a partnership going. They should be Irelands front two for a few years to come.

I cant believe how adamant some of you are to not give him any sort of chance. Whats the harm in bringing him into the training setup, see how does in training, maybe if he shows some promise give him a run out in a friendly. Do ye honestly think we should just stick with those 5 named and not even try to do better?

The fact is he's obviously better then everyone around him in league 1 which puts him up to championship level at worst. We've never had any problems with players of that caiblre playing, ie doyle, connolly, morrison and elliot all got their chances at that level so how come Trundle doesn't get one? Its not like hes going to come up next year and suddenly be crap in the championship.

I really cant see any problem with bringing him into training and checking him out.

Lemlin wrote:
    Fact is he doesn't deserve the chance. Why are people championing his cause when we have Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Stephen Elliott, Clinton Morrisson and David Connolly? And they're just 5 Irish strikers that come to mind, there are probably more better than Trundle.

Most international teams name 5 strikers at most. Trundle certainly wouldn't be in my squad ahead of any of those as they have all played at a higher level and proved themselves.

Its one thing to ply your trade in League 1 and do great but how can you compare the defences of Notts Forest and Tranmere to those of international teams? Trundle may be all tricks and flicks against the League One lads but it'll be different when he's up against someone like John Terry or Nesta.

This deserves a personal reply. Obviously you think Trundle has no chance against John Terry and Nesta yes? But in the same post you mention Elliot, Connolly, Clint and Doyle, none of whome have really proved anything against any sort of quality opposition like that. I just cant understand where your going with that argument. We have players we know for a fact aren't up to the standards of taking on those you mentioned, so obviously the most obvious thing is to try new people! And also as many have mentioned, he's not all flicks and tricks. Really just think its a bit dodgey and dangerous to think our forward line is as good as it can possibly be so theres no point in trying to better it.

Lemlin wrote:
    Trundle may be all tricks and flicks against the League One lads

This alone tells me that you dont know how Trundle plays and all you have seen is clips on Soccer AM.

And Rebel I agree with everything you have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Big Nelly wrote:
    If you post a pile of tripe everyone is going to point it out to you. Especially when you post threads like "I love Souness" and then argue for 4-5 pages that he is a great manager when the whole world knows he is a joke including the Newcastle board. Look at the form since that waster left
    Constructive stuff as usual from you. Where have "posted tripe" on this thread? Have you even read any of my posts. We are actually in agreement on a number of points, you are just arguing for the sake of it.

So to summarise what I am saying in a nice simple way for you, and show that you actually agree with what I'm saying but are still arguing for the sake of it.

(1) I am not calling for Trundle to be included in the Ireland squad. (You agree)
    (2) I was not calling for Kennedy/Babb to be thrown out of the team after their incident but they were correctly punished at the time. (I assume you agree)
    (3) I don't think Trundle's actions in Cardiff alone should exclude him from the chance of playing for the Irish team. They were no worse than the aformentioned incident, which was brought up by someone else not me. (I'm not sure you agree but I'm sure if another player did something similar you would not be against it)
    (4) I never once said Kennedy and Babb "ran over streets of cars". I asked you to show where you had proof "that it was only one", that is when you went off on your "don't believe what you read in the papers" tirade. They pleaded guilty to doing the one, because they were caught, who knows how many they did. But regardless, one was one too many.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    Again when the story came out in the press it was right after the incident, there was no court and everything in the press was complete crap, of course you read this and you know everything about this, God your great, sorry but your posting crap as usual.

Thats because the majority of it is, please read the Keane to Mardid, Van Nist to anyone with a heart beat, Viera to anyone for the last 4-5 season before his move(which they still got wrong and said it was Madrid, the story ran about fights in the Ireland camp when Kerr was manager and the list goes on. Yeah the press report everything with a honest heart..........

haha, you are standing up for the rag papers crap stories and then try to insult the business section???? wonder how you can see the section when you are not reading the Sun/Mirror/Herald with there 100% correct stories? lmao. Do you know what business is? its not reading the specials in Lidl
    Ok I'm going to have a go myself here.

Where have I once "stood up for the rags"? I said the incident was reported in the press. It was reported on every news site, because it did happen. The lads admitted it. I never once said they ran over streets of cars. I said it didn't matter if they did or not, because one car was too many.

Again, I urge you to read my posts. I'm not the first person to ever have to urge you to do same.

I never even look at the rags. I don't even really think too much of the daily broadsheets in this country. I would like to think that is apparent from the way I type. You on the other hand: have problems punctuating the simplest sentences, spelling simple words, use txtspk despite having a keyboard in front of you. This would lead me to conclude that it is you who is more fond of said papers.

You talk about this definitive "business section" yet I asked you what day it comes out on in the Indo, you never answered. If you are so keen on business I'd suggest there are far better publications available than "the Indo" for "the business section". I'm sure your lack of English coherency goes down a treat at all your obvious high level business engagements.
    Big Nelly wrote:
    He has been offered a number of chances to move to bigger clubs and as rejected them all.
    And finally, I loved this nugget. How do you know this? Read it in a paper? ;)

I assume you want your cake so you can eat it now?

And finally, I loved this nugget. How do you know this? Read it in a paper? ;)

I assume you want your cake so you can eat it now?

Shef Wed put in a bid for him, wasnt reported in the press till Sturrock came out and said it:D he turned it down, Sturrock also mentioned there was another Championship team in the bidding at the same time as well

Big Nelly wrote:
    Shef Wed put in a bid for him, wasnt reported in the press till Sturrock came out and said it:D he turned it down, Sturrock also mentioned there was another Championship team in the bidding at the same time as well

Well to be fair Nelly Sheffield Wednesday were struggling at the time and looked like they could be heading back down to League One. Swansea on the other hand were sitting pretty on top of League One and looked very likely to be getting promoted. I think this was the reasoning behind Trundle turning down Sheffield Wednesdays offer.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Well to be fair Nelly Sheffield Wednesday were struggling at the time and looked like they could be heading back down to League One. Swansea on the other hand were sitting pretty on top of League One and looked very likely to be getting promoted. I think this was the reasoning behind Trundle turning down Sheffield Wednesdays offer.

Yeah but another club had bid for him, when we first made the bid we where just outside the playoffs after a great run of form. Only problem we had was sticking the ball in the net.....

~Rebel~ wrote:
    The fact is he's obviously better then everyone around him in league 1 which puts him up to championship level at worst.

He's obviously not better than everyone else around him in League 1. He's only joint top scorer. Maybe we should try and get Freddy Eastwood for Ireland too?

~Rebel~ wrote:
    This deserves a personal reply. Obviously you think Trundle has no chance against John Terry and Nesta yes? But in the same post you mention Elliot, Connolly, Clint and Doyle, none of whome have really proved anything against any sort of quality opposition like that. I just cant understand where your going with that argument. We have players we know for a fact aren't up to the standards of taking on those you mentioned, so obviously the most obvious thing is to try new people! And also as many have mentioned, he's not all flicks and tricks. Really just think its a bit dodgey and dangerous to think our forward line is as good as it can possibly be so theres no point in trying to better it.

Clinton scored regularly for Ireland in the last season. Connolly has been a top scorer in the First Division or Championship for many years. Elliott has already scored at international level at both senior and U21 levels. Doyle is taking the Championship by storm in his first season and we all know about Keane. What exactly has Trundle done to match any of that?

My point is that they are the bets options we have and obviously better than a player plying his trade in League One. I don't think our forward line is as good as it can be, I wish it was alot stronger but I don't think Trundle would better it or add anything to it, especially at 30 or so years of age. Every striker I've mentioned is younger than him, many of them considerably younger.
    Kingp35 wrote:

This alone tells me that you dont know how Trundle plays and all you have seen is clips on Soccer AM.

And Rebel I agree with everything you have said.

I haven't even seen most of his tricks on Soccer AM. I've seen him play in the few Swansea games that are shown on Sky, the same few I imagine you've only seen him in and he didn't look anything special to me. Certainly nothing our strikers haven't added to the international setup already.

By the way, if he's so great why wasn't he picked years ago? After all, he's been around for years now and players like Doyle and Elliott have only come on the scene. If he's that great, surely he would of got his place years ago ahead of Ginger Pele.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Does anyone have a source to show that Trundle turned down another club this season? As far as I'm aware Swansea never accepted an offer for him, certainly not from Wednesday. btw, as far as I'm aware Trundle has the top assists in the league aswell so it's not just about tricks and goals. My source on that is Lee Trundle himself in a blog on Sky Sports.

He's obviously not better than everyone else around him in League 1. He's only joint top scorer. Maybe we should try and get Freddy Eastwood for Ireland too?

As was pointed out, be quite a few people at this point, he adds an awful lot more then just goals to the team. Assists and build up play in particular.

Clinton scored regularly for Ireland in the last season. Connolly has been a top scorer in the First Division or Championship for many years. Elliott has already scored at international level at both senior and U21 levels. Doyle is taking the Championship by storm in his first season and we all know about Keane. What exactly has Trundle done to match any of that?

I think this is actually more in favour of my argument then yours to be honest. Your showing how ireland has and can benefit from giving people a chance who have showed some talent at levels lower then the Prem. What makes you think that its impossible that maybe just maybe Trundle could add still further to the team along with these players mentioned.

What has he done to match any of that you ask? Well joint top scorer plus an absolute bagfull of assists amid a season in which hes been injured quite a bit of the time, not to mention quotes from Harry Redknapp saying if he keeps pompey up he'll be interested in bringing him into the prem.
    My point is that they are the bets options we have and obviously better than a player plying his trade in League One. I don't think our forward line is as good as it can be, I wish it was alot stronger but I don't think Trundle would better it or add anything to it, especially at 30 or so years of age. Every striker I've mentioned is younger than him, many of them considerably younger.

Where has he been? well he's only been playing professionally for about 4 years (29 now) due to never taking it fully seriously before that, just playing for fun. Since he has gone pro, he's spent the first few seasons massively unfit and rightly not getting a shot at something bigger, but he is now reaching proper fitness levels required to play at the higher levels and by next season will be even better. By the way players who start pro later last much longer quite obviously due to their bodies not having had at least 10 years of hard training and endurance just by the time they reach 30. Just ask John Aldridge.

personally i want no stone unturned in searching for the new look Irish team. I want everyone that has the potential to add to the squad to be given a bash in training, and if they prove themselves there, a bit of a run out. I want us to have the best Ireland squad we possibly can, with no possible doubts. Nobodies calling for the people you mentioned to be dropped.

Lemlin wrote:
    I haven't even seen most of his tricks on Soccer AM. I've seen him play in the few Swansea games that are shown on Sky, the same few I imagine you've only seen him in and he didn't look anything special to me. Certainly nothing our strikers haven't added to the international setup already.

By the way, if he's so great why wasn't he picked years ago? After all, he's been around for years now and players like Doyle and Elliott have only come on the scene. If he's that great, surely he would of got his place years ago ahead of Ginger Pele.

Well yeah I have seen him play live on Sky Sports a good few times plus I see highlights of Swanseas games everyweek on Football League review. Being a Leeds fan I watch lower league football more than Premiership at the moment :D

He has only been a professional for a very short period of time and only in the last few years has ne taken it seriously. Thats why he hasnt been picked yet. Im not saying taht he will be an international revelation, what im saying is its worth giving him a shot. Hits obvious that he has bags of talent and has a strong desire to play for Ireland. If you ask me he is much better than Connoly so the least Stan could do is give Trundle a run out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Give him a run out in one of the new 'B' International games,problem solved.

Dub13 wrote:
    Give him a run out in one of the new 'B' International games,problem solved.

Beat me to it. This is exactly what i was thinking and he should definately be given a run out in one of them :) maybe a few run outs before even being remotely considered for selection for the full squad :)

He actually said once he'd like to play for the Ireland B team. :) I was googling for the exact quote but couldn't find it.

"It would be a dream come through. When I was younger I used to wear an Ireland shirt in the kick-arounds when all of my mates were in England ones. I feel I’m as good as anything Ireland have in attack."

He certainly believes in his ability. :)

Giving him a run out in a 'B' international would be grand by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

One year later, he's playing with Bristol City, who are sitting pretty at second in the Championship. He was excellent against Stoke yesterday, reminds me of Andy Reid with his physical frame and the fact that the opposition players simply could not get the ball off him. He also has creativity and flair that none of our other strikers have.

Keane has been a disaster, give the boy Trundle a chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

One year later, he's playing with Bristol City, who are sitting pretty at second in the Championship. He was excellent against Stoke yesterday, reminds me of Andy Reid with his physical frame and the fact that the opposition players simply could not get the ball off him. He also has creativity and flair that none of our other strikers have.

Keane has been a disaster, give the boy Trundle a chance!

Enough with the plastic Paddies. I'd much rather give some of the Eircom league players or players like Wes Houlihan the chance. I don't see what Trundle has done to deserve an international call-up and imho, I just don't think he's good enough for international level.

Edit: He's also 31. I'd much prefer seeing lads like Shane Long and Stokes get a chance than Trundle.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Wes scored yesterdsay

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

KdjaCL wrote: »
    Wes scored yesterdsay

kdjac

Good goal too.

I agree though that Long and Doyle should partner each other upfront for the Wales game.

Although we really don't play to Robbie's strengths in the Ireland team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

evilhomer wrote: »
    Good goal too.

I agree though that Long and Doyle should partner each other upfront for the Wales game.

Although we really don't play to Robbie's strengths in the Ireland team.

he scored again today , hes **** tbh stick in a **** spurs team and he wont be the 2nd top scorer in teh prem, should never play for ireland with all its great players ever again :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

An Citeog wrote: »
    Enough with the plastic Paddies. I'd much rather give some of the Eircom league players or players like Wes Houlihan the chance. I don't see what Trundle has done to deserve an international call-up and imho, I just don't think he's good enough for international level.

Edit: He's also 31. I'd much prefer seeing lads like Shane Long and Stokes get a chance than Trundle.
    Hoolhan is a winger, not a striker.

Stokes is too young and inexperienced to be playing in the senior team. Let's see what he can do this season in for Sunderland before throwing him into the senior team. As for Long? He's a good prospect, but I'm not entirely convinced of him yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Trundle wore my Jersey when photographed for an article in i think the Irish post when he declared himself for Ireland. The reporter borrowed it when he came into the Irish pub i was working in to collect an Irish flag for the photo op.

despite that i dont think he is good enough for Ireland but would be more than happy to see him called up to the squad if we had a few up front ahead of say clinton morrison atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Get a f*cking grip lads, thats exactly what the Irish national team needs, another Brit who doesn't give 2 f*cks about the the team and who just wants to put something extra on his CV and push his market value/wages up a little more. God knows there's enough of them playing already. It's players like that, that are half the reason i stopped supporting the national team, the other half is goons like you lot who look for them to play.

National pride - my hole. How you think a player like Lee poxy Trundle can go out and represent you, as an Irishman adequately is beyond me. Goons the whole lot of you :mad:

Anto McC wrote: »
    Get a f*cking grip lads, thats exactly what the Irish national team needs, another Brit who doesn't give 2 f*cks about the the team and who just wants to put something extra on his CV and push his market value/wages up a little more. God knows there's enough of them playing already. It's players like that, that are half the reason i stopped supporting the national team, the other half is goons like you lot who look for them to play.
    With that ignorance it's no surprise.

Where is the ignorance in that?

Ah don't be stupid. Do you think the same of Kilbane? Football ability aside.

• Advertisement

Kilbane isn't actually one of the players i was thinking of.

Advertisement