Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Petition: Trundle for Ireland

124»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Anto McC wrote: »
    Kilbane isn't actually one of the players i was thinking of.

Well tell us who you are thinking of...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Kilbane isn't actually one of the players i was thinking of.
    OK, how do you know so much about Trundle that you know he's lying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

McGeady, St Ledger, Reid, Tabb, Morrison, O'Brien, Kenny, Carsley they are just a few off the top of my head and all in the last year, i could go back to the likes of Cascarino and that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

McGeady, St Ledger, Reid, Tabb, Morrison, O'Brien, Kenny, Carsley they are just a few off the top of my head and all in the last year, i could go back to the likes of Cascarino and that as well.

Firstly clear a few things up here. Are you on about Steven Reid? He's hardly in the same boat as Trundle. He started playing for Ireland at 21 and in my opinion he never gave less than 100% for the team. He didn't 'hold out' to see if England wanted him (ala Zat Knight - waste of space btw).
    McGeady could have declared for Scotland and would have taken a lot less stick for doing so. His performances haven't been great for Ireland but he is still quite young and has just struggled to adapt to international football.
    O'Brien?? Andy i presume. I think it's fair to say that in years gone by he would not have been good enough to play for Ireland, but the truth is we do not have a great pool of CB's to choose from. I have never really rated him but again i think it is less about his attitude or giving a fcuk than it is about his limited talent. I struggle to think of any great 'Irish' CB's that we've been ignoring while picking him. Colin Hawkins??!!
    Don't agree with you on Carsley. I think he's a top professional. Effective in the holding midfield role, early international career wasn't exceptional but he's was no disgrace. Again i can't think of any real quality youngster that he's keeping out of the team. Who are are other defensive MF options????

ibh wrote: »
    Are you on about Steven Reid? He's hardly in the same boat as Trundle.
    What boat is Trundle in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Anto McC wrote:
    Get a f*cking grip lads, thats exactly what the Irish national team needs, another Brit who doesn't give 2 f*cks about the the team and who just wants to put something extra on his CV and push his market value/wages up a little more. God knows there's enough of them playing already. It's players like that, that are half the reason i stopped supporting the national team, the other half is goons like you lot who look for them to play.

National pride - my hole. How you think a player like Lee poxy Trundle can go out and represent you, as an Irishman adequately is beyond me. Goons the whole lot of you :mad:

In all fairness, every case is individual, you cants just tar thousands of Irish descendants in England with the same brush.

Are you saying that if you moved abroad but still raised your kids to be Irish that they would still not be worthy to play for Ireland? Because they were born abroad? Sure, some of them dont consider themselves very irish, but in all fairness, Trundle isn't one of them. He's always called declared himself Irish and regularly returns to Ireland.

You ridicule these players who you largely know nothing about, and You're the one who "stopped supporting the national team"

eirebhoy wrote: »
    What boat is Trundle in?

He's in the boat where he is 30 / 31 years old and going to offer imo very little to our team long term. He is not playing football at the highest level although Bristol are doing ok. If he were 24 or 25 i would probably think differently about him but i think its a very short term solution and not what we need.

ibh wrote: »
    He's in the boat where he is 30 / 31 years old and going to offer imo very little to our team long term. He is not playing football at the highest level although Bristol are doing ok. If he were 24 or 25 i would probably think differently about him but i think its a very short term solution and not what we need.
    I don't think Anto is talking about age or ability though, just their Irishness. Every time Trundle has had an interview in the last 5 years he seems to mention Inchicore, his eligibility for Ireland and the fact he has always supported Ireland as a kid while his mates wore England shirts.

ibh wrote:

thats a much better reason to not play him, rather then this "plastic paddy" stuff (hate that phrase).

Personally, id have no problem with given him a shot. not so much now, with the next campaign months away, but he could have added something to us 6 months ago. he at least should have gotten a B international.

I don't think Anto is talking about age or ability though, just their Irishness. Every time Trundle has had an interview in the last 5 years he seems to mention Inchicore, his eligibility for Ireland and the fact he has always supported Ireland as a kid while his mates wore England shirts.

I understand what you're saying about Trundle always insisting he wants to play for Ireland and thats why i think Anto's talking out of his h0le about Irishness. He doesn't know what players really truely want to play for Ireland and what players think "ah fcuk it, doesn't look like i'll have a chance with England so i'll try Ireland".
    I don't really rate McGeady that highly. Not a fan of Scottish football tbh, but from what i have read about him he has always insisted that he would play for Ireland even though Scotland wanted him as well. Something to do with his grandfather from donegal if i remember correctly. How does he merit a mention in Anto's list??
    I don't think you need to grow up in Ireland to really feel Irish. My cousin was born and bred in England, had his hols in Ireland every year like so many others and i have absolutely no doubt he would choose Ireland over England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Lads we differ on what qualifies some as Irish or not so it an arguement that'll never be resolved. Until the team includes a fair representation of players born, living & working in Ireland I'll continue to not care.

Lads we differ on what qualifies some as Irish or not so it an arguement that'll never be resolved. Until the team includes a fair representation of players born, living & working in Ireland I'll continue to not care.

Christ I would said only allowing people born here would be strict enough, but Living and Working in Ireland?! Thats simply nuts! Unless you want a stipulation that only Eircom League players can be picked. To actually disallow players who were good enough to make the step to a higher league...madness..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ I would said only allowing people born here would be strict enough, but Living and Working in Ireland?! Thats simply nuts! Unless you want a stipulation that only Eircom League players can be picked. To actually disallow players who were good enough to make the step to a higher league...madness..

U23 FTW!

Some of the posts here are a bit OTT ie antomc ? wtf?

/my rule for international eglibility is simple you must have played schoolboy in the country you play for.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

My grandad's from Inchicore in Dublin and ever since I was a young lad I've had my heart set on playing for the Republic of Ireland.
    Would love to see him doing well and earning a call-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Wow, how have i missed this topic?

Im one of Lee Trundle's biggest fans, about 4 years ago my sister just started Uni in Swansea and i was over visiting her, for a laugh i went to the Vetch to watch a game, picked up a programme and i kept feeling the need to look back and see "Who the f**k is the #10!!!" that day he scored twice and did tricks Ronaldinho would applaud, i decided i would check him out, i saw him in Soccer AM showboat and i was hooked on him ever since. Then i saw he wanted to play for Ireland, and i couldnt belive it! At the time, Clinton Morrisson, Gary Doherty and John Macken were all Robbie had to play with up-front, and i went to the Carlisle Grounds to a training session and just asked Brian Kerr "would you ever consider Lee Trundle?" he said "no, i dont think so."

That straight up pissed me off. He could have done great things for us i reckon, and now he amongst the goals for Bristol City in the championship but its defo too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,795 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I know it's been 10 years, but it's still not too late :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

maybe his lack of an international career helped him to prolong his club career

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Some proper Old School Soccer Forum heads in this thread.

Advertisement