Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parts/Labour Pricing Question

Options
  • 11-03-2006 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭

Morning all,

My 98 Mitsubishi Mirage Coupe is due its NCT next month (even though it was only done in October last year - total scam but anyway...) and a guy in work says he'll do a service on it for €100 which seems ok to me?

But, he says I should get the timing belt changed on it too and gave me a number of another guy to do that. My question is, how much should I be expecting to pay for the job?

Also, in the last 2 weeks the left front brake has started squeaking a bit which I assume means it needs a new brake pad so how much will that set me back?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Depends on the milage and when it was last done. If you don't know when it was last done you should probably change it, better to spend money on it now then have it snap and need an engine change

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Squirrel wrote:
    Depends on the milage and when it was last done. If you don't know when it was last done you should probably change it, better to spend money on it now then have it snap and need an engine change
    Well theres about 100300 km on it now (about 85000km when I got it) and he says usually they mark it on the engine when it was last done... there's nothing to indicate this.

How much should this cost me? I see the belt itself is about $35 on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Kaiser2000 wrote:
    Well theres about 100300 km on it now (about 85000km when I got it) and he says usually they mark it on the engine when it was last done... there's nothing to indicate this.

How much should this cost me? I see the belt itself is about $35 on ebay

The belt itself is cheap enough but the time and labour involved is where the money is spend. The timing belt on some engines is located in a difficult place so it takes time to remove and replace it. For example the VW Passat has the engine mounted length ways which means it is more difficult to get at the timing belt so it is more expensive due to the time involved. This will also totally depend on where you bring it to be done. I would say you are looking at a few hundred euros in total. Ring a few mechanics around and get a quote. You will find it will vary quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A Mirage is like a Lancer coupe yeah? If so then it's probably not an overly complex job. You will save money by going to a competent independent mechanic which it sound like you're going to. The next decision to make is whether to just change the belt or change any associated bits at the same time eg pulleys, tensioners, idlers, water pump etc. At a guess I'd say you'd pay 200 all in for just the belt or 350 all in if you get everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

BrianD3 wrote:
    A Mirage is like a Lancer coupe yeah? If so then it's probably not an overly complex job. You will save money by going to a competent independent mechanic which it sound like you're going to. The next decision to make is whether to just change the belt or change any associated bits at the same time eg pulleys, tensioners, idlers, water pump etc. At a guess I'd say you'd pay 200 all in for just the belt or 350 all in if you get everything.
    Yea its basically a Lancer coupe alright from what I've seen :) You're also spot on on pricing - €200 for the belt and I was thinking then after I might try and get a full service while he's at it.. bout €350 for the lot I was hoping?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Yeah about 150 would be a ballpark for a full service. If the front brake pads need replacing add about another 50-70. If one pad is worn down and the other 3 are fine, you must still replace all 4. Anyway the pads might not need doing. He will check if they do as part of the service.

Advertisement