Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Servers

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

This would be benificial to both boards and the host as the host will be getting advertising at a discounted rate im sure, and the boards.ie servers will promote boards wherever they are played.

I sometimes wish I could speak English.. Exactly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Slightly related - what kind of performance are people seeing from www.speedtest.ie (both in terms of speed and latency / qos?) - both from UK and Ireland ? We would put the gameservers on this network./

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Not all that good, since I'm on an 8 Meg connection.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Slightly related - what kind of performance are people seeing from www.speedtest.ie (both in terms of speed and latency / qos?) - both from UK and Ireland ? We would put the gameservers on this network./

I'm getting 4 meg download which is good considering I'm on a 4 meg connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Oh, I'm in the Uk, BTW.

John

• Advertisement

Hi John,

What ISP you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

This idea is being discussed a lot on the tig side of things. Generally we feel that a Irish gaming site and community for all pc/console games with servers and resources and who could offer tournaments and leagues would be a good idea.

Obviouly there is a lot of work that will be needed. We already have ideas in place but obviously a lot more is needed.

If anyone wants to get in on the idea, maybe bang some ideas around feel free to PM me. I'd idealy like to get a good list of interested people together and see what can be done.

I get 7 megs down but am in work so...

Good idea Winters. Would certainly be interested in getting involved anything of this nature..

Any chance of some boards owners either shooting down my suggestion or .... ?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Ok... This is definitely back to our roots but I'm confused why you need our rubber stamping... or our involvement at all!
    You have made contact with H365 (via this thread), you have the community (we'll assist any non-profit attempt to make this work), you are keen to do this...

Why not do this yourself?

DeV.

DeVore - Congrats on the speach you gave in DCU teh other week, nicly done :)

As it is, I am looking into this idea and have developed some plans with others on tig about it. We also have people from other sites interested too. We know that there has always been a lot of talk about it, but nobody has ever actually formulated anything. I beilieve that with a lot of effort something like this can be achieved and can flurish. However, it cannot be be done by just a few people and hope that the community will accecpt it. Support would be needed by as many people and clans possible. It would be a large endevor to do but something that can be a resounding success.

I know that the already large community of irish gaming is going to expand with the launch of onling gaming with the "next gen" consoles and so to have some sort of resources or community in place is important.

I know that there are a lot of people who are intersted in some way with the idea of a irish gaming site that will offer services to people. By us [at tig] providing regular boards.ie users with admin access to our bf2 servers and 'rebranding' the servers so to speak for the community here at boards.ie is obviously just a small step to show that it can be done.

I really would like anyone's input or ideas or even their support in trying to develop the idea of a irish gaming site/community further. You can always pm me or mail me at: winters@theirishguard.com ... ta :)

Also, to what Tom said: If the idea was to go ahead we would love it to be associated with Boards.ie. Many of us first found our first roots here and we could never have come this far without boards.ie.

But please, anybody who is seriously intersted in the idea and will be willing to put some work in and bash around some ideas please contact me.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote:
    Ok... This is definitely back to our roots but I'm confused why you need our rubber stamping... or our involvement at all!
    You have made contact with H365 (via this thread), you have the community (we'll assist any non-profit attempt to make this work), you are keen to do this...

Why not do this yourself?

DeV.

No probs doing this myself at all really - it is just less daunting to do it with someone who has done something similar plenty of times already :)

You say you would be willing to provide assistance. What sort of assistance are you talking about?

Winters, I added you to MSN messenger. Could you add me please, would like to talk to you.

jesus_thats_great at hotmail dot come

I'd be very interested in sitting down with a group to flesh out what we could bring to the table. Feel free to add me to MSN to / email me and we can set up an initial meeting to thrash out some options?

I have emailed Winters and PM'ed steve..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I've had enough running game servers. That's so 1998.

Anyway, as I change into my C[strike]ommercia[/strike]loud persona - I'm not sure what it would do for us, more work, more servers, not enough payback...

As I said John, It isint something that we would look upon as being directly boards.ie or run by the admins at boards. I already know you have a hell of a lot of work on your plates with what would be nearly full time jobs in setting something of that size up. However to be associated and work closely with boards.ie providing information on the site that can be linked to boards users such as maybe downloads and servers.

Also visa versa :)

Re steve. I've add you as soon as I can and will hopefully get onto you then. Im quite busy for the next couple of days with society work in dcu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

One of the main problems with Irish online gaming servers, is that they are rarely used. For example, the Quake4 server hosted by Dark Keep is being taken down, because nobody uses it anymore, and even when the game Quake 4 was new, it got very little use. This is the case with most games, except for CS and BF2 and a couple of others I suppose. In most of the games, the servers remain empty because there is no active community which drives them. I agree that boards.ie is in a unique position to fuel this kind of activity. It could be done only by getting all ye casual gamers off your armchairs and onto servers regularly, reviving enthusiasm with internal boards.ie leagues, and clans, a couple of mini prizes here and there.

There are so many people on these boards who know all the ins and outs of Red Alert, and who sometimes play FPS games online but never stick with it for very long... for lack of a better word - n00bs ;). One of the main reasons these players never stick with it, is because there is no community. I experienced this myself recently in Call of Duty 2 - played for several weeks on the most Irish servers I could find (namely the IRA server, and 1st-IB) both of which were hosted in UK as it happens, as there were no Irish servers, but I quit soon enough because there was nothing to keep me there. There were no familiar faces, no new Irish clans appearing, no hope of an Irish league on the horizon... there wasn't even an Irish community channel on Quakenet.

A range of boards.ie servers would bring the n00bs together, and you'd see the names you recognise, and you'd be able to post on boards.ie and discuss the games ye are playing. Once a group of people who kind of know each other start playing together regularly on the same servers, then a community starts up, and there are very few of these in Ireland. A concrete example of this is the Unreal community, at www.unreal.ie - which, aside from the DZR players, started with boards.ie gaming nights on the UT board. boards.ie provides the infinite amount of fresh faces, which is what you need to keep any gaming community alive.

I posted a column recently about the need for a community like this on quake.ie: http://www.quake.ie/post.asp?item=1799 - a community which bridges the communities. Quake had a decent community, Unreal has a decent community, but there is no interaction between these communities. This is bad for the greater Irish gaming scene because a smaller group of communities will die out easier than one which is held together by something greater. An example of this is the Lithuanian gaming community, which has http://www.e-sports.lt/ - the site which all serious Lithuanian gamers use as a base for their community, photographs/bios/news from all games. When some guy goes out and buys a new game, he needs to know where to go online to play it. There is no central site which tells you where the servers are, where you can see what communities are active, where you can view all the Irish leagues in progress. I would love it if this service existed - the holy grail of online gaming for me is an Irish league. We had them in QuakeWorld, and in Quake3... I even started playing CS just to have a taste of the Irish CS clan scene, and entered a team of Quakers into the ICSC.

I was going to make a site myself, a few months ago, to do this. Its goal was to bring the Irish communities together, and revive online gaming in Ireland. I wanted to see an Irish team in EVERY Clanbase Opencup, and a nations cup team in every NC game. After a few years with a bit of luck, we'd have a few in the Eurocups, and eventually we'd have medal hopes at the CPL and ESWC. It wasn't so long ago that there were some of the best players in the world in Ireland, both in Quake and in Counter Strike, and I am very disappointing to see that Irish gaming is currently on a slippery slope, with a pathetic clan scene, and this is exactly the kind of thing that is needed to revive it. The site would have been basically a link between the communities, a forum, details on all the servers, mirroring their news, hosting some leagues if possible... whatever could help.

The reason I didn't go ahead with the site is because I know that these sites usually fail due to a lack of activity, and a lack of community. These sites need to be updated very regularly, and they need someone with loads of enthusiasm and time (which I lack) to run them. There is no bigger community, and there is no greater activity in Ireland than right here.

My 2c:
    I noticed on the Blacknight Blog a couple of days ago, www.gaming.ie has expired and is available. Buy this domain. DeVore has given the green light - get it integrated with boards.ie somehow. Not as a community board, or a hosted board, it has to be better than that. Get an announcement across all forums calling all gamers. Get servers from somewhere - this is not the big money issue that some people make it out to be, all you need are 6 game servers, which could be hosted on 2 or 3 different physical servers, GSPs have donated servers for community use in the past, and if you made a good case of it they would do so again, even if its temporary. Thats the easy part, the difficult thing is keeping the activity going.

I would like to see sponsorship of 500+ Euros and the launch of an inaugural tournament, spanning a couple different games, with prize money + free boards.ie sub accounts. An annual competition which caters for all active games, like the PCZone cups that are hosted by Jolt but sponsored by PCZone. Get talking to the GameCon/Darkside/Midlans/Mindphuck lads and see what ideas they have regarding LANs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm just throwing this in here as a complete novice on the issue of PC online gaming and servers etc.

Would the use of the boards.ie name just be a "brand recognition" thing or would it go deeper than that? Obviously people here other than the admins are happy to do the actual leg-work and maintenance and could possibly develop a solid structure by themselves with the help of H365; so where does boards.ie play a part in this besides its name? New dedicated forums? Advertising space? Competitions as suggested above? Or is it just the name?

flogen wrote:
    so where does boards.ie play a part in this besides its name? New dedicated forums? Advertising space? Competitions as suggested above? Or is it just the name?

I think all of them really.. Boards is already an established community and quite a chunk of that community is made up on gamers.. They already come to boards to discuss gaming so why no expand on that..

It is certainly possible to start up a whole new community with the help of boards though. My original suggestion centred around boards as I think that being associated with boards would make the whole venture a sure bet.

To start off I would like the following to be available:

- Forums with the same feel and managed in the same fashion as boards. Essentially transplant the games forum on boards to the new site.

- Competitions/Ladders - This I feel is vital to get clans and people involved in clans to visit the site and use the servers. Irish clans want an Irish competition to compete in.

- Gaming servers - From a CS:S perspective I would like a combination of semi serious and out and out fun servers. Skilled players need somewhere to apply themselves the fun servers will give the beginners somewhere to play. The most appealling combination to basically ensure there is players across all skill levels. The community would be able to decide on the mods/maps that the servers run. The BF2, COD2 lads etc can specify what they would like to see.

I think that once we have the above up and running with few hiccups, we could set about expanding the site. There would be sections for console gaming, PC gaming, hardware and so on. There could be a news section with articles submitted by trusted members of the community. Whether people want to submit their own news stories in a blog style (www.joystiq.com and www.kotaku.com are my current fav gaming new sites) or a different format could be discussed during concept.

I really believe it needs to be kept quite simple at first and all hiccups ironed out before the site is expanded upon. Strict policies on how the servers are admin'd would also need to be discussed. I also believe that the the community will be vital in running things and in general deciding what direction it all moves in. Trusted members of the community will be vital otherwise it just will not work.

As I keep saying...

The idea that a good few of us are developing is NOT going to be tied to boards.ie. A "green light" is not required by boards.ie to let the project start. It is a totally differant venture by a totally different group of people. The boards.ie admins would not be activly involved in administration of the site.

However the support of boards.ie would always be greatly appriaciated in building a irish games [specific] community that can offer pc games, consoles and servers. And im sure having irish servers and resources at the disposal of boards.ie members would be greatly appricated too by all here. A lot of people must remember that boards.ie actually caters for only a very small amount of irish gamers. There are a lot of irish gamers who dont know about boards.ie, who dont like boards.ie or just cant grasp it.

The site idea that is in question would be designed to cater for everybody in the irish gaming community from 10 year old girls playing some barbie game to a 45 year old playing a mutt.

Winters wrote:
    As I keep saying...

The idea that a good few of us are developing is NOT going to be tied to boards.ie. A "green light" is not required by boards.ie to let the project start. It is a totally differant venture by a totally different group of people. The boards.ie admins would not be activly involved in administration of the site.

However the support of boards.ie would always be greatly appriaciated in building a irish games [specific] community that can offer pc games, consoles and servers. And im sure having irish servers and resources at the disposal of boards.ie members would be greatly appricated too by all here. A lot of people must remember that boards.ie actually caters for only a very small amount of irish gamers. There are a lot of irish gamers who dont know about boards.ie, who dont like boards.ie or just cant grasp it.

The site idea that is in question would be designed to cater for everybody in the irish gaming community from 10 year old girls playing some barbie game to a 45 year old playing a mutt.

Ahh I replied to this 20 minutes ago!!!!

Anyway. As I also said, my original suggestion was that the site/community be allied closely with boards. As I said, boards already has the community and something based around boards has a far better chance of being successful.

Saying that, I am not against the idea of developing a new community from scratch. However, doing so will require alot more work and planning from the individuals involved at start up. It will also require some money I imagine.

As I said in a previous post, I think it is important that we start off relatively simple and provide the functionality that I listed above:

- Gaming Servers
    - Ladder/Competition
    - Forums

I think these are the critical elements required in order to establish any sort of gaming community. Once they are running smoothly, the site would expand depending on the what the community wants.

Regarding who the site is aimed at, I agree with you. I think it should offer something for everybody. Mind you, I think it is critically important to get the hardcore gamer and clans involved from the start. The average joe who plays now and again will be important to bolster number but they cannot be depended upon to provide a concrete basis for the community.

• Advertisement
Advertisement