Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slobodan Milosevic dies

Options
  • 11-03-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1214984,00.html

just heard this on the radio... any one got any more links yet?

snipped from sky:
    Former Yugoslavian President Slobodan Milosevic has died, according to reports on Serbia's B-92 radio station.

Milosevic was in The Hague, where he was being held by the United Nations War Crimes Tribunal.

According to the reports, he was found dead in his prison cell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

cheated justice imo:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Cant say I'm sorry to hear that unfortunately , its a pity he did'nt live to face justice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭bottlerocket

It was reported by Serb TV and picked up by the wires, Sky's correspondent reckons it's genuine. The ba$tard got away with it. I was looking forward to him getting his comepuppance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

good riddance ,now get that others that the serbs are habouring and ditto the other sides -croats etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity! Still it avoids the chance of him "getting off" on some idiot technicality spotted by one of those scumbag 'international' lawyers who happily defend the undefendable.

Not been able to find any additional info yet.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Apparently his lawyers are distrought.
    The gravy train has ended.
    What an evil Bastard. I really hope theres a hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

meldrew wrote:
    Cant say I'm sorry to hear that unfortunately , its a pity he did'nt live to face justice

Death is enough justice tbh.

Some reports:

http://news.google.ie/news?hl=en&ned=en_ie&ie=UTF-8&ncl=http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/03/11/milosovic/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

MrJoeSoap wrote:

One of the major victims here (aside from y'know, his victims) is the ICO. It's first massive case doesn't recieve a verdict.

Perhaps it should take this as an opportunity to streamline its working process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭shuushh

Pity! Still it avoids the chance of him "getting off" on some idiot technicality spotted by one of those scumbag 'international' lawyers who happily defend the undefendable.

someone has to defend them or we wouldnt have a justice system

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rickytherooster

I bet he is in hell now with a huge pitch fork up his hole

can't say it is to pleasant down there and he may have not being brought to just but he has an eternity of damnation down under.

May the C*nt burn in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

from rte:

Slobodan Milosevic has been found dead in his cell in the Hague where he was on trial for war crimes.

The International War Crimes Tribunal said there was no indication that the former Yugoslav president commited suicide but said it was too early to conclude he had died of natural causes.

The UN has refused a request that an autopsy be carried out in Moscow. The trial of the 64-year-old was repeatedly interrupted by his high blood pressure and heart condition.
    Advertisement

He was on charges of genocide, crimes against humanity and war crimes during the bloody disintegration of Yugoslavia in the 1990s.

He has been blamed for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in Bosnia, Croatia and Kosovo.

The atrocities include the 1995 massacre of 8,000 Muslims at Srebrenica.

Last week, former rebel Croatian Serb leader Milan Babic committed suicide at the tribunal's detention centre. Mr Babic had testified against Milosevic and was in The Hague to appear in the trial of another Croatian Serb.

The rise and fall of Slobodan Milosevic

Slobodan Milosevic was born on 20 August, 1941, in the eastern Serbian town of Pozarevac. He was born to an Orthodox priest and ardently communist schoolteacher. Both parents ended up committing suicide ten years apart.

Milosevic graduated from Belgrade University with a law degree and climbed through the ruling ranks of Marshal Tito's Yugoslavia, where he honed his political skills.

He headed both the state-run gas company and the state-run bank. But he was still a relatively little-known official until 24 April 1987, when he was sent by then president Ivan Stambolic to Serbia's troubled Kosovo region.

He prestige in Serbia rose over his part in quelling protests over the alleged persecution of Serbs by majority Albanians in the region.

Milosevic took over as president of the Serbian republic in 1989, quickly revoking Kosovo's autonomous status and ratcheting up the Serbs' jingoistic spirit as Yugoslavia broke apart in 1991.

As president of Serbia and later head of the rump Yugoslav Republic that joined it with Montenegro, Milosevic was a cunning leader who used the state media to the hilt to inflame Serb passions and stifle dissent.

He ruled with an iron fist, aided by his wife Mira, his childhood sweetheart whose intellect and fierce drive earned her the sobriquet 'Lady Macbeth of the Balkans'.

But after the wars in Croatia and Bosnia, the ethnic cleansing campaign in Kosovo and the 11 weeks of NATO airstrikes it prompted were the last straw for a beleaguered Yugoslav people.

Increasingly targeted by demonstrations and strikes, Milosevic ran for a new term as Yugoslav president but the machinery no longer worked for him. He conceded defeat to Vojislav Kostunica and resigned on October 7, 2000.

Six months later he was arrested at his home in Belgrade on suspicion of abuse of power and misappropriation of state funds, surrendering only after holding a gun to his head and threatening to kill himself.

His transfer to the United Nations war crimes court in The Hague on 28 June, hardly produced a ripple in Belgrade.

His trial, which began on 12 February, was frequently interrupted because of illness sparked by high blood pressure and heart problems.

Insisting on defending himself at the UN tribunal, Milosevic concentrated almost totally on events in Kosovo, hardly going into the charges related to the war in Croatia and the genocide charges against him over the war in Bosnia.

According to the last calculations, done on February 15, Milosevic had already used up 85.11% of the 360 hours allotted to him for his defence, meaning he only had about a dozen court days left to complete his defence case.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

A communist whose parents committed suicide? Where are the Vincent Browns shouting about how his childhood twisted him, causing him to massacre innocent croats and riot in O'Connell street?:D
    No-one seems to think he may be innocent.:)

Milosovich....we'll miss ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Damn...

The fcuker cheated justice. Fcuking 'ell...

EDIT:
    A communist whose parents committed suicide?
    Er... since when was that proto-fascist and neo-nazi anything like a Communist?!
    Cop yourself on, like...

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Diorraing

The Hague system takes way to long and involves too much bureocracy. Slobadan Milsosovic was on trial for a few years when it should have taken weeks, possibly months. He should have been sentenced by the time he died

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

good riddance ,now get that others that the serbs are habouring and ditto the other sides -croats etc

Ante Gotovina (retired Croatian general) was the last Croat wanted by The Hague. All indicators show that he was not in Croatia at all during the past years. If that makes any difference, he is in the Hague for the past few months. Serbs on the other side have at least 6 other high ranking (albeit) ex leaders wanted by Den Hag ICTY

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

I feel sorry for the families of individuals who suffered under his sword. Most of them thought he would be sentenced to at least 40 years (for the victims even a guilty verdict would have sufficed)!
    However, he died in his sleep (what a nice way to depart) and not under the horrific conditions his victims were killed.
    I had the ill fate to suffer indirectly due to his national-fascism but that is/was nothing compared to many others who lost their beloved ones due to the ideology of Slododan's regime.
    Although he was not the only bad guy of the conflict in the former Yugoslavia, by all means he topped the list and all the other evil-doers seem like children compared to him.
    Just after glancing through a few serb web sites, forums etc and the public oppinion seems to be devided about his role. Many seem to advocate the idea of him being burried with highest honours. He might even be burried in Russia! Would not be surprised if we hear in the near future that Mladic and Karadzic decided to do the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Street Byte

I always imagined I would be over joyed at the death of old Slobo. I feel completely the opposite.

He is dead and legally he dies innocent of any crime, because that is the status he was given when brought to trial: "presumed innocent".

The legal system chosen to model the Hague tribunal is the Anglo-saxon legal system. Unfortunitly in that system it is nearly impossible to recognise individuals and bodies outside "western" idologies for what thay are and treat them accordingly. Their is no specific pre-trial status awarded to a defendant except innocent - even in a court with no peer jury.

If the international war crimes tribunal is to proceed it must be based on a more rebust system than the one the Hague was modeled on. The same legal system that cannot deal with drug trafficers and gun crime cannot be expected to deal with mass murder and genocide.

I might be on the wrong track here, but thats my gut reaction.

Europe refused to wake up to genocide in Bosnia and the rest of the Balkans, now it is refusing to wake up to its aftermath. Given the lightness of sentences the Hague has handed down thus far it is a good possibility that Milosovic may have walked a free man long before he would expect to die - if his health had not failed him prematurly.

Europe does not want to police the world - so why go to all the bother of proving it is incapable of judging it? 24 years of Milosovic and the farce goes on......

I was watching a Bosnian on Sky who seemed convinced it was all a plot to preserve Serbia (I could'nt really follow his logic) and he had been assasinated. Many Serbs belive exactly the same but for opposite reasons.

The latest suggests he commited sucide.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

He's not dead enough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I'm curious to know what took the system so long. He was in the Hague for a while at this point, wasn't he?

NTM

4 years, the reason he was'nt already found guilty was cos the court was stupid enough to try and tie all manner of crimes to Milosevic when they should have concentrated on a few.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Beer is Life

JimmySmith wrote:
    Apparently his lawyers are distrought.
    The gravy train has ended.
    What an evil Bastard. I really hope theres a hell.

I thought he was defending himself?

As for people claiming he cheated justice? HA! How long was the man on trial for and they couldnt get a conviction on him even though he was defending himself? (He was on trial for 4-5 years? Correct me if I'm wrong) Put ANY other politician on trial like that and I bet he'd have enough skeletons in the closet to put him away for a very long time.

*Didnt see your post there Mike!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

SebtheBum wrote:
    Er... since when was that proto-fascist and neo-nazi anything like a Communist?!
    Cop yourself on, like...
    He was a communist.
    wikipedia wrote:
    Milošević was elected president of the Belgrade City Committee of the League of Communists in April 1984

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

As things stand at the moment neither his son nor his wife can be buried in Serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Street Byte

I think he is on his way back to Serbia because reports say his wife will not be arrested if she returns for the funeral. Interesting to see who from this country sends a delegation. I think the Serbian government might want to ask her questions about the 100's of millions of dollors she fled with.

As for Milosovic being a facist or Communist? Ethnic based hate politics, massive organised state corruption, agressive military expansion, poilitical assination. - The Nazi party would be green with envy but I suspect comrade Stalin would see nothing out of the ordinary. It was all the rotten fruit of a bankrupt idiology no matter what its called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

mike65 wrote:

Not been able to find any additional info yet.

Mike.

Possibly a good reason everyone should get a fair trail. I wonder when people like Clinton, Wesley Clark and the child president will get a fair trail.

http://counterpunch.org/cockburn03142006.html

Advertisement