Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

life after school

• 11-03-2006 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'd always wanted to work in the music industry, not the perfomance side but more the event management/promotion side. I thought I had found the course I was looking for which would bring me closer to the occupation i desired, and applied for it. However, I have since discovered that for this course you must audition by means of a vocal/instrumental piece. Now, I have no musical background myself and do not sing, so I am crushed. i have decided to not apply for it, the course covers all aspects of the industry but its not performing i want to be a part of, and i wouldnt anyway.
    Also because Im not very assertive, perhaps Im not cut out for the industry anyway? Perhaps its a sign.
    So now, im back to square one. 3months left in the leaving cert and i havent a clue what i want to do. :-( I really feel like Im stuck in a rut. No other courses interest me. The above course was also located in my home city so it was convenient.

I dont know what im looking for by posting this, but i just wanted somewhere to get it out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

where is your home city and what course is it?

Are you sure that the audition is required, it sounds VERY unlikely for the subject you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

Assuming you don't have other options you'd like to follow up on, there's nothing wrong with sitting your leaving cert, then taking a breather, working for a year and re-applying next february when you've had a chance to consider your options.

Regardless of what you want I'd strongly recommend you try to get the best marks you can, whatever you decide you want to do, once you get the points you can come back to it at any time of your choosing.

My bottom line is, there's no rush on doing something. Have you talked to your parents about this? it might not be a bad idea to bounce your feelings off them and see what they think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭40YardScreamer

Firstly on the assertiveness thing. This is a minor thing. The attitude you need to take on this is to realise that assertiveness is as easy as being friendly. If you can be friendly with someone, you can be assertive with them. Thats because it all comes down to genuinity. People fail to be genuine because of lack of confidence much of the time. So basically be honest with yourself and dont compromise for the sake of others and you will be successful in alot of things.

The instrument thing might seem like a problem but you can learn to play the guitar on alot less time than you think. Yoy may be rubbish at it but how about the tin whistle? Very basic but also very important in irish music. Could get you in the door. There is something you could learn in that space of time in order to qualify. Thsi course is not beyond you, especially if you feel passionate about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Don't worry. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think you can do a postgrad in Event Management through something like arts. Isn't there a course called event management in DIT (Is that what you're talking about).

The best advice I can give is to make sure you do find a course of this nature. College is a lot better if you really like what you study. A lot of people never give that a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭deimos

Take a year off, pick up a guitar and learn how to play it. It's a laugh to learn how to play and it's quite easy(after a while)...

Assuming you do the audition, make it clear you do not want to become an artist but just get involved in the management side of things. This will then justify your performance in contrast to the other performers... I assume there is an interview also?

To be honest I do not know much about such things, but off the top of my head that's what I would be thinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey everyone,
    thanks for the replies.
    the course i had in mind is in cork.
    i am considering taking a year out and perhaps exploring different areas or areas similar.
    the course also have a gig in the city centre soon so i might go and have a chat with the course director then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭AngryBadger

outofreach wrote:
    the course also have a gig in the city centre soon so i might go and have a chat with the course director then.

Definitely do this! Brilliant idea. And as someone else has pointed out, there are other avenues into all areas of work/life, so don't be disheartened because you feel this isn't working out how you'd planned. You'll find some other way into this industry if it is what you want. Don't be so hard on yourself! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Take a year out, take up an instrument and enjoy it, work your ass off at one piece, explain to them in the interview when you apply next year that you went to all this effort to learn the instrument to get into the course, they'll be impressed.

I also think that to learn these sort of things you have to have some knowledge of music, it helps you appreciate it more.

Advertisement