Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A Bit Suspicious

Options
  • 11-03-2006 1:54pm

I am currently in the process of lookin and buying a second hand car, going for something over ten years old but a bit flash.
    Anyway I found a car im interested in and its being sold by a dealer. However the seller didnt want to meet me at the dealership and instead I met him in a neutral area. Took it for a test drive, and liked it and will check it out again with a view to a purchase
    The problem is, I am very suspicious of buying it on the side of the street if you know what i mean, even though its got a full history etc. I mean, I cant see any positive reasons that he's not meetin me at his garage, only possible negatives
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭richardson2525

Not necessarily bad for you -the dealer is probably selling the car as a private deal not through his garage directly and so he doesn't want to meet on his place of business. Had a similar situation before when a mate of mine went up north to buy a Porsche 944 -a year later and the car is even better then he ever thought, 100% legit, no problems. If you are in doubt just ask him straight out and if it sounds in any way dodgy just walk away.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK
    if he is a dealer he still has to offer warranty on it even if it's a private sale for "a mate".

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

El Rifle wrote:
    I am currently in the process of lookin and buying a second hand car, going for something over ten years old but a bit flash.
    Anyway I found a car im interested in and its being sold by a dealer. However the seller didnt want to meet me at the dealership and instead I met him in a neutral area. Took it for a test drive, and liked it and will check it out again with a view to a purchase
    The problem is, I am very suspicious of buying it on the side of the street if you know what i mean, even though its got a full history etc. I mean, I cant see any positive reasons that he's not meetin me at his garage, only possible negatives
    Any thoughts?

Maybe the seller is trying to avoid having to pay the dealer a commission on the sale?

A dealer will take a small percentage of the sale price if he sells it on behalf of the private seller.

I think the private seller is just trying to avoid giving the dealer his commission. Make sure that you do a HPI check on the car so that there is no outstanding finance owed on the car.

Regarding the dealer having to give a warranty on the car if he sells it. Very unlikely on a car which is 10 years or older, the car would be priced accordingly and should be described as "sold as seen".

At the end of the day if you still feel there is something not right then walk away. You will find another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

AFAIK
    if he is a dealer he still has to offer warranty on it even if it's a private sale for "a mate".

No he doesnt. If he states expressly there is no warranty of any kind with it then that is the end of it.

I have bought a number of things from dealers in this manner (A 1968 tractor and a 2003 car being two of them...). The car in particular had "sold as seen, trade sale" written on the SIMI contract.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

maidhc wrote:
    No he doesnt. If he states expressly there is no warranty of any kind with it then that is the end of it.
    The car in particular had "sold as seen, trade sale" written on the SIMI contract.
    As long as it's stated expressly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I wouldn't expect a warranty on a 10 year old car anyway, and as long as you buy the car fro, the salesman personally and not the garage, you won't be getting one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not just ask the dealer straight out?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

IIRC, from the days of selling cars, a dealer cannot sell to a private individual without providing a 3 month warranty.

What type of car is it, and where are you looking at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

A dealer can sell a car without warranty as long as its agreed at the time of sale and given a written contract to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,418 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

junkyard wrote:
    A dealer can sell a car without warranty as long as its agreed at the time of sale and given a written contract to confirm it.

Yeah that makes sense. Why would a dealer be forced to offer a warranty? And indeed if a dealer sells to the trade, there will never be a warranty of any kind

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

El Rifle wrote:
    Any thoughts?

I'll agree with all of the above;
    However if you are not comfortable with it and "suspect a rat". have someone more competent check it out.

2nd hand?. how about 3rd or 4th?.

I'd agree that he may be selling outside the place of employment, to gain a few extra % in the deal. There is probably €500 at most "profit" in such a car so splitting it 75/25 with the dealership is .... hardly worth coming to work for.

Here's what I'd be checking for.
    It was not a crashed or actually 2 x ½ cars welded together. So check for minute flaws in the paintwork around the areas where glass/rubber and metal meet. Check the gaps between the doors and the frame/wings are consistant, not 1" in one spot and 1/8" on the opposite side. Wrinkles on the floor, roof or boot.
    It's "HOT" or fell off the back of a transporter.
    Has mismatching engine and body, for that year/model, etc.
    Valid, accurate and no missing paperwork. eg you pay cash, and find the papers, are "in the mail", "delayed", "I'll have them tomorrow" and sheet like that. ie if you cannot BOTH walk down to the tax office, present the papers and take a clear and clean title, then walk away. It is either his to sell or it is not, and if not, no cash exchanges, even if you get a reciept and contract..

Warranty is not an issue as far as I am concerned, it either goes well or it does not, don't look for or expect a valid warranty on a 10yo car. "Tailight Warranty", ie once the taillights are out of sight, the warranty expires.

btw, what is it, and how many miles on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Roy16

If your having doubts on the dealer, then if you know what dealership he is working for, just ring and ask to speak to him. They will either say no probs, one moment or sorry no by that name works here......simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

When I was buying my current car (03 Astra XE) the seller asked to meet me in another housing estate rather than his own, which made me very suspicious.

I looked at the car, then checked it out next day with HPi (and with a Garda friend ;)) and everything was legit.

When I went to collect the car I met him at his house (and got him to sign a (detailed) reciept).

To this day I don't know why he insisted on meeting me away from his house, except maybe that his wife didn't want the neighbours seeing them selling their car from the house (I got the impression that his wife was a bit stuck up :D ).

But as they say - 'If in doubt, walk away'

Advertisement