Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclockability

Options
  • 11-03-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what I can expect to get out of my new system? I know each piece of hardware is completely different regarding overclocking. Just wondering if anyone has any success with these components in there system.

AMD Athlon 64 3700+

TwinMOS PC3200 DDR-DIMM 1024MB

Asus A8N-SLI

Specifically wondering about the TwinMOS RAM, went with the cheapo option, never really heard of this company. How well do their sticks overclock?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

I dont think they overclock at all, But you can use a divider and you want lose alot of performance,

The 3700 will probably do 2.8ghz at around 1.5volts, The ASUS boards overclock well but the voltage fluctuates a bit.

So you should be able to get 2.8ghz stable while keeping the ram at stock

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

3700+ depends on alot of factors, but i would say 2.4-26Ghz would be viable. You need a good CPU cooler and good airflow in the case. Have the mobo bios the latest available.

The memory is holding you back, for overclocking you need something like PC4000-4200, DDR500-533.

You can set a divider on the memory but it'll still run DDR400 or a little higher. You might be able to loosen the timings on the memory for it to run faster then DDR400. Say it's DDR400 with timings of 2-2-2-5, losen them to 2.5-3-3-7 and see what you get.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Memory is already 2.5 with SPD, overclocking will be very hard. I'd advise using a divider or buying some faster memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,553 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think the max that memory will get you is around 220mhz before memtest starts spitting up errors, will work ok on a divider but won't fly. irishpimpdude is selling 2x sticks of 512mb pc4000 crucial ballistix on the fs forum. This is decent ram and you'd probably pick it up for only a little more than the twinmos from komplett

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Could a 6800xt xfx 256mb pci card be overclocked to a point of use?

My machine is coming simliar to lems, a 3700 amd and 1 gig of crucial 3200 400mhz ram.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Most 6800GTs can manage to get up to 6800 Ultra speeds.

GT = 350/1000
    Ultra = 400/1100

they're a decent card, they dont need overclocking to be bearable to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

not all asus are affected by the vcore flucuations, and it only seeems to be with dual cores, so the mobo should oc really well, memory will have to be run on a divider

Advertisement