Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adams defends "slab" Murphy

Options
  • 11-03-2006 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

"Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He is a good republican."

Good Republican?

What makes him a "good republican"?

Does Adams even know the meaning of the word "Republican"?
    Around €200,000 in cash, 30,000 cigarettes, 8,000 litres of fuel and weapons were seized.

It looks at if this raid was a success.

It is about time the authorities in this state tackled Provo Criminality.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Tom Murphy is not a criminal

Sounds to me that this is a factual statement, unless you know different?

full extract
    "Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He’s a good republican. I read his statement after the Manchester raids. I believe what he says. He’s also, and very importantly, a key supporter of the Sinn Féin peace strategy and has been for a very long time."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

a key supporter of the Sinn Féin peace strategy and has been for a very long time."

Adding under his breath...."and all that "fundraising" he did was pretty handy"
    Around €200,000 in cash, 30,000 cigarettes, 8,000 litres of fuel and weapons were seized.

In fairness the weapons were two shotguns, the cash was from a good day with the horses, and the cigarettes were for "personal use", while the fuel well, sure, SF have never been really been a pro environment party.*

*they can claim to be, just the quanity of washed diesel biproduct left dumped around the border countries by their "friends" would say different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Of course Tom was a good republican... sure wasnt he running the whole operation for yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He’s a good republican.

What makes "slab" a "good republican"?

Is is not about time Adams began to talk in terms of "good democrat"?

Does Adams know of the damage caused by illegal dumping and fuel laundering to the environment?

How exactly does Adams believe the IRA funds itself?

Instead of defending slab - I think SF has questions to answer over Joe Rafferty and Robert McCartney.

But let Adams defend slab. Slab is an example of "a good republican" according to Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

good god I was taking the p**s :rolleyes: Slab is a scumbag dont know why they didnt haul him in yrs ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭BigWilly

Cork wrote:
    But let Adams defend slab. Slab is an example of "a good republican" according to Adams.

Exactly. I'm really getting to the stage where it doesn't bother me when SF insist on defending total scumbags. It just reaffirms most peoples opinions in regards SF and their disregard for the law.

God knows what the country would be like with these in government defending "good republicans"...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

full extract
    Adams wrote:
    "Tom Murphy is not a criminal. He’s a good republican. I read his statement after the Manchester raids. I believe what he says. He’s also, and very importantly, a key supporter of the Sinn Féin peace strategy and has been for a very long time."
    Sure when you're smuggling* fags and diesel (and evading tax in the process*) wouldn't you be a supporter of a strategy that has left the border you deal across more porous than at any time in 80 years! The last thing slab would want is a load of British Army and Garda busybodies spying on his 'farm'-best way to get rid of 'em? A peace process of course!

*allegedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Rickytherooster

Sounds to me that this is a factual statement, unless you know different?

full extract

I know the slab personally and he is a criminal and got his just deserts and anyone who says otherwise is an idiot.....he has been smuggling and dealing in death for years:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

He may be a terrorist and criminal, but, as far as I'm aware, Tom Murphy was important is convincing the South Armagh IRA to follow the Adams/McGuinness 'peace process' rather than join Michael McKevitt's Real IRA. That is probably why he is a key supporter of the SF peace process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

He may be a terrorist and criminal, but, as far as I'm aware, Tom Murphy was important is convincing the South Armagh IRA to follow the Adams/McGuinness 'peace process' rather than join Michael McKevitt's Real IRA. That is probably why he is a key supporter of the SF peace process.

And his credibility with the South Armagh IRA was due to his long standing terrorist activities and his seat on the IRAs Army Council. Arsonists arent heroes for putting out the fires they started. The fact that Murphy is still neck deep in organised crime is enough to dissuade me from thinking he had some Damascan conversion to peace and lawful democracy.

Adams has to come out and defend him anyway, even though its politically the worst thing he could do. Everyone knows that Adams would prefer to keep hush, and let his moronic core support refuse to accept Murphy is anything other than a poor, persecuted small farmer despite any and all evidence to the contrary. But internally Id say Adams is under tremendous pressure from his IRA colleagues who dont have his "diplomatic" immunity to turn some deal with both governments to back off and let them get on with their activites as some sort of pension plan for giving up terrorism. Slab must surely be wondering if this sort of police raid would have been possible when the IRA were out shooting anyone and everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

I'm sure he's only a legitimate businessman whose family like cigarettes... oh yes and of course diesel.

Bart: Are you guys crooks?
    Fat Tony: Bart.. uhm. Is it it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
    Bart: No..
    Fat Tony: Well suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
    Bart: Nuh-uh
    Fat Tony: And what if your family don't like bread. They like.. cigarettes.
    Bart: I guess that's okay.
    Fat Tony: Now, what if instead of giving them away.. you sold them at a price that was practically giving them away. Would that be a crime, Bart?
    Bart: Hell no!

http://www.geocities.com/trentvaughn/fux/crime.wav

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

According to the media today, about a €1,000,000 in a mix of cash and cheques has been recovered from Murphys farm. Its the laptop buried in the hay thats going to be of most interst I imagine.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I'm amazed that the govt can find hundreds of gardai & military personell to raid a mans farm for fuel& cigarrettes yet the Gardai are crying out for resources to tackle out of control murderous gun crime in Dublin.

Indeed Mike. I can't wait to find out what pearls are on that hard drive. Adams did look a complete tit on telly trying to dfend an obvious* smuggler and generally very dodgy character*. If Murphy is found guilty of what looks pretty ropey, Adams will again be linked to something that don't smell so nice and his and his party's credibilty will be damaged still further in the south. The nordies seem to vote for 'em regarldess even when they were blowing up women and children so I doubt it'll bother that electorate a whole lot.

*Allegedly.

gurramok wrote:
    I'm amazed that the govt can find hundreds of gardai & military personell to raid a mans farm for fuel& cigarrettes yet the Gardai are crying out for resources to tackle out of control murderous gun crime in Dublin.
    Aren't you being a tad hysterical? I live in Dublin 15 and feel perfectly safe. There is a gun crime problem, yes indeed, but what would 120 uniformed Gardai and Army personnel be able to do about it exactly? The investigative work is done by the SDU and if you'll remember, Mr. Murphy's 'farm' is perhaps the centre of a rather large organised crime operation* which may stretch to firearms too for all we know. Organised criminals aren't the moral type afterall!

You seem to be implying that this guy is getting more attention than he warrants? He resides right on the border for a reason so it took this many personnel to ensure he and his accomplaces could not easily flee over the border. Even with this number of UK/Ireland law enforcement I'll remind you that the slabster managed to escape!! What would you have done? sent up the local bobby?

*allegedly.

gurramok wrote:

Maybe they're short of funds? Seeing has the IRA and Slab have been robbing the exechequer of tens of millions in tax revenue for decades.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Cork wrote:
    Does Adams even know the meaning of the word "Republican"?

Do you?
    Republican [upper case]
    1 a member of the Republican Party in the US

2 a person who believes that Northern Ireland should become part of the Irish Republic
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=67098&dict=CALD

murphaph wrote:
    Aren't you being a tad hysterical? I live in Dublin 15 and feel perfectly safe. There is a gun crime problem, yes indeed, but what would 120 uniformed Gardai and Army personnel be able to do about it exactly? The investigative work is done by the SDU and if you'll remember, Mr. Murphy's 'farm' is perhaps the centre of a rather large organised crime operation* which may stretch to firearms too for all we know. Organised criminals aren't the moral type afterall!

You seem to be implying that this guy is getting more attention than he warrants? He resides right on the border for a reason so it took this many personnel to ensure he and his accomplaces could not easily flee over the border. Even with this number of UK/Ireland law enforcement I'll remind you that the slabster managed to escape!! What would you have done? sent up the local bobby?

*allegedly.
    I live in D11 facing the D15 end and probably not far from you, there were 3 shootings involving 2 murders and 2 woundings within 1 mile of my house in last few days and that doesn't involve a certain murder suspect who was living near me which is another story.
    You may feel safe but people where i am from don't feel safe, a sighting of a Garda on patrol is a rare occurrance.
    120 uniformed Gardai and Army personnel with checkpoints on the streets would be a good deterrent for starters.
    I certainly think that that raid didnt need 120, maybe less than 50 officers, it was OTT.
    I'd wish that the govt wake up to the fact not all organised crime happens on the border, most of it happens within 50 miles radius of Dail Eireann!!
    Freelancer wrote:
    Maybe they're short of funds? Seeing has the IRA and Slab have been robbing the exechequer of tens of millions in tax revenue for decades.
    Yes the Gardai are starved of funds in Dublin, its ironic how the powers find funds to raid a single farm on the border with 120 personnell.
    Which is more important then, protecting tax revenue or protecting people from gun crime??

gurramok wrote:
    Yes the Gardai are starved of funds in Dublin, its ironic how the powers find funds to raid a single farm on the border with 120 personnell.
    Which is more important then, protecting tax revenue or protecting people from gun crime??
    As I've already alluded to, perhaps the slab was also involved in firearms supply-afterall, he was/is a senior figure in the IRA so I dare say he'd have those kinds of 'connections'. Criminals along the border may well be involved in crime in D11/D15 gurramok! Where did Gilligan live? Feckin Meath or North Kildare or somewhere. Should large numbers of Gardai not have been sent out of Dublin to raid his Jessborough pad?

gurramok wrote:
    Obeying the law and enforcing the law and cracking organised crime is important.

As regards criminals in Dublin shooting each other,I doubt the Gardaí are not investigating this.
    What makes you think they aren't? Or where is your source for saying they have a lack of resources to investigate those crimes?

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote:
    As I've already alluded to, perhaps the slab was also involved in firearms supply-afterall, he was/is a senior figure in the IRA so I dare say he'd have those kinds of 'connections'. Criminals along the border may well be involved in crime in D11/D15 gurramok! Where did Gilligan live? Feckin Meath or North Kildare or somewhere. Should large numbers of Gardai not have been sent out of Dublin to raid his Jessborough pad?

Speculation there, i believe they are sourced by the criminals themselves locally for years.
    When was the last high profile raid of an orgainised crime boss mansion since Gilligans?...quite rare!
    Earthman wrote:
    Obeying the law and enforcing the law and cracking organised crime is important.

As regards criminals in Dublin shooting each other,I doubt the Gardaí are not investigating this.
    What makes you think they aren't? Or where is your source for saying they have a lack of resources to investigate those crimes?

Regarding all crime, it was in IOS last week quoting the GRA saying that 8000 warrants are outstanding mostly in Dublin and guess what, the spokesman says its due to lack of resources, surprise surprise.

Its not always criminals shooting each other as we saw this time last week with murder of innocent Ms Cleary.

Well, according to Enda Kenny..only 16% of gun crime murders have been solved in last 5 years or so, not counting the outstanding cases before that.
    The rate of detection speaks for itself, its appalling

Those 120+ gardai + army would be better suited patrolling where the killings occur in the city rather than have that many raiding a farm.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

‘Cork’, apologies for being pedantic in the last post, but you’re questioning the opinion of one man you probably have no respect for about another man which you probably have less respect for, both in a grouping you have no respect for (the provos), and you’re starting with a confused meaning of a word.

Earthman wrote:

At this stage if the Provos can’t get their house in order arresting them for stupidity mighty be on the cards.

Earthman wrote:

I think his problem is that the police in general are under resourced and undermanned – while there’s high visible action in the boarder while, that high visibility may be missing on the ground in Dublin.

Practical speaking, even if the numbers were an over reaction, you’ll always get some kind of high visibility and heightened media coverage at the time of a raid or an arrest etc. You can hardly expect the police to plan all of these on the same day just to keep everyone happy.

A general/media overreaction to the raids (police action) and an overreaction to the situation in Dublin (with a slight lack of visible police action) cannot help things.
    gurramok wrote:
    Those 120+ gardai + army would be better suited patrolling where the killings occur in the city rather than have that many raiding a farm.

From one over reaction to another, the army shouldn’t be used to patrol the streets – for starters they are not trained for policing.

The police should be appropriately resourced/manned, before then no radical ideas should be introduced, no ‘police reserve’ etc.

gurramok wrote:

What did you expect them to do, raid the farm of the biggest smuggler and suspected senior provo with three lads from the Dundalk station? You read about the quanity of material seized, exactly how do you propose they ought to have gone about the raid?

Funny I recall they got Al Capone for tax evasion, not his worst crime, but the best they could pin on him.

Whats your point exactly? Why are you mad? That we shouldn't even consider going after Murphy until all the violent criminals are strung up?

Or is this a case of whataboutery? A slide of hand to throw accusations at the state so we'll get distracted and ignore Slab's crimes?

120 odd garda getting overtime for one raid doesn't equate a lack of garda on the street's at all time.
    monument wrote:
    At this stage if the Provos can’t get their house in order arresting them for stupidity mighty be on the cards.

Yeah if we arrested all the stupid criminals and provos we'd may as well just ringfence portlaois and do up the town ala "escape from new york". For well over a decade after the cease fire the irish state has turned a blind eye to provo fundraising, the fact that they're braisingly still at it is just taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

gurramok wrote:

My understanding is that these Gardai/Army aren't going to be permanently stationed at Murphys house :rolleyes:

It's a short-term direction of a small amount of manpower in a large organized crime investigation. Happens all the time. All over the State, including in Dublin.

Patrolling the streets might look good, but I'd imagine a lot of crime prevention takes place long before it reaches the streets. Often by way of raids on organised crime bosses property.

And I for one don't want the Army patrolling the streets of Dublin anyway. That's a police job not a military one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

all for arresting murphy but bringing in the army! definately they were trying to make it look spectacular, what could the army do that the ERU cant do in a situation like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

I think I might have fueled my car once at Slab's petrol station (if it was actually his). It was on the Armagh side of the border by a few feet and I was surprised the price was the same as on the Republic side and asked the fellow manning the pump about that. He smiled and said they didn't concern themselves too much about a border there.

I also heard in that neck of the woods that "Slab" got the nickname because he favoured the dropping of a slab of concrete onto the legs of someone who got on his wrong side. I don't know if that is a fact or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Just an attempt at distraction tbh. Theres no evidence the Gardai used for the raid were taken permamently off duty from Dublin. They were sent up for a day in the case of the majority, and Id reckon only a few were left for mopping up. Crime did not suddenly errupt.

The Army would have been deployed because of Slabs membership of a terrorist organisation, and indeed to help lend manpower to what was an extensive search of a large area of land that didnt turn up Slabs hiding hole. If anything, seeing as the Army wouldnt be doing much else its not a bad idea to have them available to help out the Gardai in terms of manpower, especially when Gurramok is demanding all available Gardai be deployed en-masse to D15 - they could call it Assisting the Civil Powers or something.

Remember as well that the UK authorities actually deployed even more police and army on their side!

Now that we have been sucessfully distracted for a page or two could we go back to the actual topic of the thread...

Adams defending Slab Murphy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Voipjunkie

Earthman wrote:
    Now that we have been sucessfully distracted for a page or two could we go back to the actual topic of the thread...

Adams defending Slab Murphy...

Just a note Mr Murphy was running a legitimate oil distribution business from his farm
    So there is nothing suspicous about oil trucks on his property or for that matter oil
    There is nothing in itself suspicous about large ammounts of money most of which I believe is in third party cheques.

On the cigarettes I don't and I doubt anyone else here knows where they were found

And 2 shotguns on a farm is hardly shocking

People should wait and see if anything comes of this before jumping to conclusions and branding anyone a criminal people have the right to the presumption of innocence in this state

Advertisement