Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scart TO component cable...

• 11-03-2006 5:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭

Does such a thing exist?
    I've a DVD player that only has a scart or composite output, neither of which are up to scratch signal-wise, when inputting into my HDTV.
    I recently bought a component cable for my PS2 and am very happy with the signal it's producing now, so I want to try and do the same with my DVD player.
    I've seen cables about that are scart-RCA component, but I get the impression that they are intended for connecting component TO scart.
    Anyone any ideas? Anything esle I should know? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

First off, you have to find out what sort of output is going through the scart.
    There are three possibilities, Composite, S-Video and RGB.

RGB is directly equivilant to Component but slightly different. Simply put, RGB is Red, Green and Blue signals. Component is a mathematical function of Red Green and Blue signals.

Assuming that your scart output is RGB, you cannot directly wire an RGB scart to component. You need a converter that applies the mathematical function to the RGB values.

There are 2 converters that I have found. One from Keene electronics and one from JS-Technology.

These devices cost upwards of £80.

If you check out the JS website there are some good pdf's that explain the difference and similarity between RGB and Component, and also why the two types exist.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

So basicaly it's time to get a new DVDplayer, then.
    I've had issues with the output from this...when I tried using scart RGB, it kept defaulting to scart CBVS (which could be an issue with the TV tbh). Flicking options in the (confusing) onscreen menu didn't help.
    Guy told me in a shop that the scart cable I had mightn't be able to carry the RGB signal, but I tested the cable on a friend's player and it carried the signal no problem
    Currently putting dvds through a media centre PC via VGA, but the dvd player is also the surround amp/receiver and I'm lacking that dolby surround goodness.
    Ah well.

One last question. I've defintely seen these cables...they'll only carry an RGB signal which a standard component-IN won't process?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Wertz wrote:
    One last question. I've defintely seen these cables...they'll only carry an RGB signal which a standard component-IN won't process?

What you may have seen is a cable with a scart adapter on one end and 3 (or 6) phono plugs on the other. These would most likely be red white and yellow, as in they carry composite video and left/right audio (there is 6 for in and out signals).

To get component video signals from RGB signals you apply the formula
    Y = .3R + .59G + .11B
    U = .493(B-Y)
    V = .877(R-Y)

The Green value is worked out I think as
    G = .177R + .0649B

The component values are synced on one of the carriers so that the calculation is done at specified intervals. (You may hear of "Sync on Green" which means that the sync signal is carried in the green signal).

So unless the cable that you have seen can convert the respective voltages by these factors, I doubt it is a RGB Scart to Component.

If on the other hand, it does do the conversion and is less than £80, please inform me as I too would like one :)

L.

19016-2.jpg
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1M-ATLONA-SCART-TO-COMPONENT-VIDEO-PHONO-ADAPTER-CABLE_W0QQitemZ5875343026QQcategoryZ15067QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

These are all over eBay and I've seen em in places like Harvey Norman's too (for about twice the price).
    I believe you, like...I'm just wondering what it is these cables are actually good for if a converter box is also needed.
    The maths stuff is way over my head...all I wnat is a better picture; it's a pretty sad day when my PS2 is producing better clairty than a dvd player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Some DVD players output component via SCART, and these cable can be used for that.

Before you throw out your DVD player, check the in the setting if you can output RGB instead of composite, most modern DVD players can. If so, switch to RGB output on scart. Get yourself a fully wired scart lead, and connect in to the RGB in scart on your HDTV. The picture using RGB is as good as component.

What make and model is your DVD player?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Wertz wrote:
    Does such a thing exist?
    I've a DVD player that only has a scart or composite output, neither of which are up to scratch signal-wise, when inputting into my HDTV.
    I recently bought a component cable for my PS2 and am very happy with the signal it's producing now, so I want to try and do the same with my DVD player.
    I've seen cables about that are scart-RCA component, but I get the impression that they are intended for connecting component TO scart.
    Anyone any ideas? Anything esle I should know? Thanks in advance
    Just wondering where u got the component PS2 cable and how much was it?

Quazzy

quazzy wrote:
    Just wondering where u got the component PS2 cable and how much was it?

Quazzy

I got mine on ebay from canada for about 10 US dollars inc delivery. There's some on amazon uk for about £7 and maybe £4 postage. It really does blow the composite signal out of the water.

Oh and the DVD player is an all-in-one player/receiver Sony DAV-SB100. I've lost the manual and can't find one online but I'm almost positive it outputs in RGB scart...the set up menu has two output options, but they're badly labelled. Anytime I had it hooked to the TV (Dell w2600) the signal was defaulting to composite for some odd reason.

Advertisement